Author Topic: Correct Windshield Washer Reservoir  (Read 2198 times)

SFcarbuff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Correct Windshield Washer Reservoir
« on: October 18, 2021, 10:54:35 PM »
What is the correct washer Reservoir for a mid March built 66 GT350.  The one with white letters or the one with gold letters.  I have seen both.  Thanks
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 02:31:43 PM by SFcarbuff »

SFcarbuff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Correct Windshield Washer Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 04:16:43 PM »
I was told today that the car original came with a white lettered bag and if you went to the dealer you got the gold lettered bag.  I don't think that is correct.  Also I was told that the gold lettered bag would be a deduction in points. 

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 08:34:41 PM »
O.K., I'll chime in.  I seem to recall that the white-lettered bag would be correct up to mid-year production when the gold-lettered bag was phased in.  When that occurred, I can't say. Perhaps Bob or Jeff can set the record straight.
5S071, 6S1467

outlawincorporated

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 07:49:12 AM »
My limited research on this matter over the years has seen me narrow down the change from white to gold printed washer bags to be in the month of may.

happy to be corrected by others if they have done this exercise in further depth.

regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 10:00:16 AM »
I have seen the larger gold lettered bags on cars much earlier than I originally thought that they would be used. In my opinion, that bag would be used on a mid-march '66 built car.

It's interesting to note that 6S598, which is featured in the April 1966 Sports Car Graphic appears to have the larger gold lettered bag.

6S933 and 6S1732 had the original bags...they too were the gold lettered larger ones.

I would be interested to see an original smaller white lettered bag with the hinge style cap. I don't believe that I have seen one except for the reproductions.

As a side note, there are two different reproductions of the white lettered bag. One is USA made and just super nice. The other has a longer "neck" and is easily spotted.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

sg66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 01:20:39 PM »

I would be interested to see an original smaller white lettered bag with the hinge style cap. I don't believe that I have seen one except for the reproductions.

Brant,

Here you go. Looking at them side by side, the hinge top bag is a little smaller and I also noticed the bracket is just a little narrower and has a 3rd hole in the center. The bracket for the wider bag only has 2 holes

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 01:33:54 PM »
Many years ago I was wondering which style bag was most likely original on my 66, late March build. Started asking around the various forums, mainly the old HiPo forum and VMF, focusing on SJ cars with Ford VINs close to mine. ~5 people responded with survivor cars that still had original bags to the best of their knowledge, all were gold lettered bags. 
Dave - 6S1757

SFcarbuff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 01:50:45 PM »
I want to thank everyone for their help.  The gold bag is the way to go for my car. Thanks!!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 02:01:28 PM by SFcarbuff »

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 04:23:46 PM »

Brant,

Here you go. Looking at them side by side, the hinge top bag is a little smaller and I also noticed the bracket is just a little narrower and has a 3rd hole in the center. The
 bracket for the wider bag only has 2 holes

Thanks. Do you know if these were found on any San Jose built cars and the approx. build date.

If not, that's fine...just curious.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

sg66

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 10:57:44 PM »

Brant,

Here you go. Looking at them side by side, the hinge top bag is a little smaller and I also noticed the bracket is just a little narrower and has a 3rd hole in the center. The
 bracket for the wider bag only has 2 holes

Thanks. Do you know if these were found on any San Jose built cars and the approx. build date.

If not, that's fine...just curious.
The bag with the screw cap I'm pretty sure came off a 65 GT-350 that had a service replacement swapped in. The hinged version came with an early style washer motor I picked up. I don't know where it came from.