Author Topic: New rear glass too wide  (Read 5901 times)

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: New rear glass too wide
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2021, 09:25:14 AM »
Rear and side glass is tempered safety glass. Windshield are laminated.

Don
gt350bp

poboy427

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2021, 10:06:14 AM »
My current plan is to return to MN to Auto City Classic glass with the bad glass and original glass and do my own measurements. Hard to convey measuring points when dealing with 1/8" discrepancy. I would consider sanding the bad piece but only to recoup some costs. I could never load a bad piece of glass on someone else. Just not me. If I can sand it back to spec I can sell locally. Im told to expect 60-90 day back order.

However I will contact ECS to discuss. Hopefully they will acknowledge there has been past problems. Even just a straight edge against the side will show the 1/8" bow. My original is dead straight.

Chad-Do you recall a contact person at ECS

Back to ACC as a mfg. Auto City Classic list ACC as mfg of their glass on their Ebay store listing?? No other venders I have found list a mfg co.

Thanks for all the good responses.-Ray
6S554 Family owed since May 15,1974. Confirmed original alum T-10 4spd, MICO,

SPF 0373 Cobra S/C, Shelby alum 488 stroker FE Tunnel Port, TKO

Bill Collins

• '65 GT350 006 owner since 1971
    • View Profile
New rear glass too wide
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2021, 11:54:04 AM »
I have been through this twice. The reproduction fastback windows are too large, leaving insufficient room for the reveal moldings to attach.

The first instance was a Pilkington glass purchased from CJ Pony Parts (they are local to me and I could pick it up so no shipping expense.) It would not fit. I sourced a good used original glass from another long time local Mustang vendor and it fit properly. Fortunately I was able to return the CJ one.

The second time involves a Shelby that I acquired as an unfinished restoration. The glass was already installed but not the moldings. Again, there was insufficient room for the reveal moldings to attach. This glass had no manufacturer etchings so was also reproduction.

I called ECS - they have acquired PS Auto Glass. I specifically asked them if they had received any customer feedback regarding fit and also requested they give me the actual physical dimensions of their glass before I would order one. They never replied to the request.

I finally dug into my stash and pulled out an NOS Carlite glass with a 6A date code that I had been saving for a few decades. It fit and the moldings went on easily.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 11:55:43 AM by Bill Collins »
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2021, 12:05:00 PM »
This seems like too easy of an issue to not have it resolved at the source.

"I called ECS - they have acquired PS Auto Glass. I specifically asked them if they had received any customer feedback regarding fit and also requested they give me the actual physical dimensions of their glass before I would order one. They never replied to the request."

This seems to be the new normal for business in America today.

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2021, 12:47:06 PM »
Where are the moulds for this stuff?
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

poboy427

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2021, 04:45:34 PM »
Spoke with ECS. They guy acknowledges fit is an issue sometimes. They drop-ship their glass and claim no way to measure before hand. I ask him if he would share the name of his glass mfg co. He said they have more than one source, claiming all glass is now an off shore product. He told me that pre-covid, they were waiting 8 weeks. But orders are being sold on ebay with a 2 week shipping time-frame. You bet
 Ray

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2021, 08:34:35 PM »
I was getting ready to purchase rear glass and a windshield this month.  Now I'm worried about supply and accuracy.  So there is only 1 source?

poboy427

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2021, 07:03:02 PM »
I did find out that the product manufacturer listed on Ebay was ACC and in reality stands  for the vendor, Auto City Classic-not the ACC trim co we all know.  Auto City Classic does not manufacture anything contrary to their Ebay listing.

My original date glass was 5J.  My car was Nov '65 built so a very nice original 5K tinted rear glass would work as well. -Ray

poboy427

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2021, 07:13:21 PM »
Shawn I would be cautious about buying an aftermarket FB rear glass unless you can see it in person and measure it first against a known original. When you are looking for an 1/8" on each side you need to read the tape. I was dealing out of state. I asked CJ and he said he has none in stock-claimed Oct til they expect any. I think there is a lot less problem with windshields-Ray

poboy427

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2021, 07:41:03 PM »
The Bad Glass is in! Blocked sanded 1/4" off each side. Used a 10" block with 180 grit reg adhesive backed, auto body grade paper, and-zero heat generated. Slow and steady, mask and safety glasses. Most say it can't be done with tempered glass. 12 man hrs each side over the course of 6 days-2 guys and $25 worth of paper.

I realize it could explode any day. Not unheard of for tempered glass to fail after a repair. We had nothing to loose, non returnable and I never would have sold the glass. We looked for OEM and even a repo glass to no luck. One vendor would not ship, another would not measure their glass and supply is mostly back ordered. So we just jumped in with caution and a "what do we have to loose attitude".
Don't recommend anyone to do this.  I got lucky...so far. Next guy might not=Ray

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2021, 09:37:55 PM »
The way Americans should be. Congratulations on your ingenuity and tenacity.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Rodster-500

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2021, 10:04:29 PM »
The Bad Glass is in! Blocked sanded 1/4" off each side. Used a 10" block with 180 grit reg adhesive backed, auto body grade paper, and-zero heat generated. Slow and steady, mask and safety glasses. Most say it can't be done with tempered glass. 12 man hrs each side over the course of 6 days-2 guys and $25 worth of paper.

I realize it could explode any day. Not unheard of for tempered glass to fail after a repair. We had nothing to loose, non returnable and I never would have sold the glass. We looked for OEM and even a repo glass to no luck. One vendor would not ship, another would not measure their glass and supply is mostly back ordered. So we just jumped in with caution and a "what do we have to loose attitude".
Don't recommend anyone to do this.  I got lucky...so far. Next guy might not=Ray

Great attitude..... good luck.

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2021, 10:56:29 AM »
I spoke with ECS representative yesterday about the glass.  I discussed some concerns about fitment accuracy and others that have had issues.  I was told they are unaware of any problems and have not had any complaints.  Either way I need to get the rear glass for my 66 and with a current 8 week wait I'm getting pressed for time.   Looks like I'm taking the plunge and will update in about 8 weeks with results.

Chad

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2021, 01:20:14 PM »
They are complete liars!!!

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2021, 08:03:34 PM »
Thats scary, aren't they the only supplier?