News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 Brake rotors

Started by shelbydoug, June 12, 2021, 07:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on June 14, 2021, 01:37:32 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 14, 2021, 10:52:06 AM
Quote from: shelbydoug on June 14, 2021, 08:42:30 AM
I had both versions on the bench recently and it definitely appears IF they are exemplary of what is available that the "one piece" is very machinable down to the original version.

I'm not sure what the thinking is with the original design vs. the one piece integral with hub, since it would appear that there is less machining with it then the current integral hub/rotor version has?

Considering the current state of the "original" version being more expensive then the one piece is suggests to me that they are starting with the one piece casting and machining them down? That would have to be in a cheap labor market like China or somewhere else "offshore"?
https://www.npdlink.com/product/rotor-disc-front-disc-brake/210370?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Drotor%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1965&year=1965  . This the aftermarket alternative  to be added to a factory 2 piece rotor bearing hub.  I think there may be a communication problem because as I have stated before there is a after market alternative that when added to a factory rotor hub will look so much like a two piece factory rotor it is typically accepted in concours judging. The after market rotor "hat" that is now available when added to a factory bearing hub will certainly be much easier to obtain and achieve the correct look . It will most likely be more economical then having one machined . I am still skeptical that a one piece off shore rotor can be made to look like a acceptable two piece design by machining visible defining cuts (to make it look like two separate pieces) with out compromising the integrity of the casting and still be safe . It would be catastrophic if the one piece rotor broke in two from the machining while driving for example. Unfortunately the NPD part is currently out of stock.

I think that it is presumptuous to assume any of the aftermarket rotors are not made "overseas".
I would expect a "Genuine Ford Replacement" part to be a "North American" product.

Other then that it is a "strength of materials" class.
I agree "overseas" parts. I don't read into anyone's post a inference that the after market parts were not "overseas". FYI the Ford replacement rotors aren't identical to the assemblyline part ether. They have the same nuance differences as the others being discussed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby