News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Brake Drum Finish

Started by Shawn, June 12, 2021, 03:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

Whats the correct finish for 66 brake drums?

6s1802

I've been wrong before but I want to say cast iron gray? Maybe black.

s2ms

Bare cast iron with semi-gloss black paint hand brushed on the front face...

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=736.0
Dave - 6S1757

J_Speegle

You would have a base surface of freshly cast iron with contrasting areas of freshly machined surfaces
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

GT350Lad

Quote from: s2ms on June 12, 2021, 04:09:38 PM

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=736.0

That's what I have behind my 10 spokes, looks so slapped on its interesting now I know why
6S373
6S1276

shlby66

Quote from: s2ms on June 12, 2021, 04:09:38 PM

And, along with a dose of surface rust, they sure look sad, peeking out behind a five spoke mag wheel. So, I just had
   the drums powder coated with semi-gloss black. They look great and still do, after about 15 years of use. Since, I do
   drive my Shelby ( a lot ) is was a basic, solution, to clean up an ugly spot.

Doug

Karguy

Did all of the 66 cars receive the brushed semi flat black on the drums? 6S281 came from Ford and SA with 15 inch Kelsey Hayes steel wheels. Should I leave the brake drums natural or slop the black paint on them?
Thanks
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Karguy on June 13, 2021, 02:34:02 PM
Did all of the 66 cars receive the brushed semi flat black on the drums? 6S281 came from Ford and SA with 15 inch Kelsey Hayes steel wheels. Should I leave the brake drums natural or slop the black paint on them?
Thanks
It depends on if it was built at Ford Ford with deluxe wheels or the steel wheels. Only the deluxe wheels were supposed to get the black out treatment . If Shelby switched the wheels around or a dealer then they may be blacked out even if steel wheels.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby