Author Topic: Comatose drivers  (Read 2657 times)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Comatose drivers
« on: June 14, 2021, 08:58:18 PM »
I took red and gold out this evening for a celebratory birthday drive for making it to 58 and still being alive.  I could not help but notice how many drivers were oblivious to the Shelby's presence.  Some drivers would pull up next to this 1966 oddity and not even notice it was alive or occupying a three dimensional space (never mind four dimensional.)  Some would walk by without a single nod (mostly from the XX chromosome crowd.)  It was as if...as if all of these people were comatose, taken over by some alien thing, a thing not of this world, a thing that had no understanding of the objects powered by combustion engines.)  Or were they Zombified, bitten by the undead.  Now granted, a few noticed this red and gold streak and one waved at me not that I needed the validation, but it astounds me how many have not acquired a mutual interest in cars or are even cognizant of their surroundings.  When I am out, my head is on a swivel.  I'd certainly know it if, for example, an FC7 (Plum Crazy) 1970 Challenger crossed my path.  Or a Saturn yellow Buick GSX etc etc...  A couple of xx chromasomers and one XY decided to run right up on my bumper while I was stopped in traffic with no regard to the possible contact with my back end had they been rear ended by another Zombie.  I have civilly prosecuted and defended three car accidents for a long time.  Because it happens all the time.  A fellow member raised a valid point in another thread today and that is, the comfort zone for driving a Shelby especially at my allotted time today, presented a minor yet irritable form of anxiety that one of these comatose drivers might plow into me followed by a "I'm really sorry.  But it's just an old car right?"  Won't stop me from driving her though.  Gotta live my life.

Best wishes,

Richard E.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 11:18:47 AM by deathsled »
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Comatose drivers
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 10:33:24 PM »
America is no longer obsessed with the automobile. We have had a cultural revolution.

When you go to a car event, you will be with like minded individuals and find all the love you can handle.

davez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 10:59:03 PM »
I watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers this weekend. 1978 Donald Sutherland movie. Hated it. Terrible ending.
That's who these people are now.

davez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 11:07:57 PM »
In the 90s I was worried because people would stare when I was driving my green KR, and drift out of their lane. They knew something about it and stopped paying attention to their driving. Now they stare at their phones and couldn't care less.

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 11:25:59 PM »
I am a University student of the 1980s (graduated 1986 in Political Science).  I barfed up the little red book and the Communist Manifesto right back in the faces of fellow students and the professors.  Needless to say, I was not the popular man on the St. George campus of the University of Toronto.  No regrets.  I am dominated by common sense, a deep understanding of human nature and motivations.  I remain a capitalist to the core. No apologies either.  Convicted gearhead for life.  I refuse to adapt and modify my interests to suit the so-called Millennials.  They too will be obsoleted one day.  Make no mistake, perceived progress can, in fact, be a retrogression unbeknownst to the advocates of so-called progress.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 12:08:19 AM »
In todays world there seems to be a rule not to look around or make eye contact lest you provoke someone for invading their space. But you are right all these drones have zero situational awareness beyond their little space within a foot or two.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 01:28:05 AM »
Even the old timer car guys at the local cruises don't recognize or know what they are seeing when they look at my 69 shelby convertible.  Maybe 1 out of 5 know what the car is.  Forget about the younger crowd.  I get a lot of stares and 2nd looks, but it is more like "what the hell is that"? 

After the mid 90s, I noticed a sharp decline in recognition of my shelby.  Prior to that, it was rock star status. 

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 05:23:45 AM »

This video is sure to stir the comatose, or as I refer to them... as mind numb robots! With very few exceptions the "car culture" we once knew is gone. Maybe this video should be sent to automotive design schools so that potential students can be shocked back to some form of original thought!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAA22ANWxEs

Mike G.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 06:59:56 AM »
Thanks for sharing CSX4133, I was only aware of about 75% of those cool features. Mike G.

JJH

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 09:06:32 AM »
How times have quickly changed...if you ever showed up at my old high school in the early '80's in Everett Mass. in a lowered Honda or something of the like, you would have been stuffed in a locker by the kids who were loyal to American muscle...just sayin :)
SAAC member since 1981

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 10:02:26 AM »
I took red and gold out this evening for a celebratory birthday drive for making it to 58 and still being alive.  I could not help but notice how many drivers were oblivious to the Shelby's presence.  Some drivers would pull up next to this 1966 oddity and not even notice it was alive or occupying a three dimensional space (never mind four dimensional.)  Some would walk by without a single nod (mostly from the XX chromosome crowd.)  It was as if...as if all of these people were comatose, taken over by some alien thing, a thing not of this world, a thing that had no understanding of the objects powered by combustion engines.)  Or were they Zombified, bitten by the undead.  Now granted, a few noticed this red and gold streak and one waived at me not that I needed the validation, but it astounds me how many have not acquired a mutual interest in cars or are even cognizant of their surroundings.  When I am out, my head is on a swivel.  I'd certainly know it if, for example, an FC7 (Plum Crazy) 1970 Challenger crossed my path.  Or a Saturn yellow Buick GSX etc etc...  A couple of xx chromasomers and one XY decided to run right up on my bumper while I was stopped in traffic with no regard to the possible contact with my back end had they been rear ended by another Zombie.  I have civilly prosecuted and defended three car accidents for a long time.  Because it happens all the time.  A fellow member raised a valid point in another thread today and that is, the comfort zone for driving a Shelby especially at my allotted time today, presented a minor yet irritable form of anxiety that one of these comatose drivers might plow into me followed by a "I'm really sorry.  But it's just an old car right?"  Won't stop me from driving her though.  Gotta live my life.

Best wishes,

Richard E.

I'm going to bend this thread a little into the direction I think it belongs but others don't realize yet.

I think that the common denominator here on why people are infected with things like classic cars, classic music, classic rock, art of the "masters", writings of the great novelists, etc, is a search for ultimate's.

I can only speak for myself and self analization isn't the simplest or even the smartest thing to do but when I list my interests, my plans, my accomplishments and my still current actions, it is about satisfying my ultimatism.

My plans have not been replaced by regrets.

In the case of my cars, my dogs (retired racing greyhounds) and even my former super model wife, there seems to be a common denominator there?

Some things leak through to the current generations. My son still won't give me back my TEAC reel to reel, because "it's dynamic response on base is superior then the digital recording" that he currently uses. So at least there, chalk one up for Dad?

Do I need to defend Roger Maris' 61 home runs? No. I lived it. Warts and all in a non-steroid era, it was an ultimate.

In the case of music, I can't really speak for Beethoven, but "Stairway to Heaven" to this day is still an ultimate.

Now Shelbys. We can get into a pissing match on Cobra v. GT350 or BB v. SB, etc. It is difficult to defend a position though that they are not their own "ultimates".

With all due respect to the Concourse folks, to me a "stock Shelby" is like a push-up bra. It is instantly fascinating, mesmerizing and incredibly sexy. The problem is that under close examination you will find that it is more show then go and you aren't getting what you anticipated?

So my ultimate is to have an ultimate, ultimate and I work at that. No push up bras here please, but if you want to, you could show it to me for my consideration? 8)

The current generation is searching for ultimates of it's own but is having difficulty finding any since I and my friends have used them all up?

« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 10:18:55 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 01:23:02 PM »
Richard - one of my "car buddies" has totally walked away from the hobby due to the environment observed.
His particular area of automotive enthusiasm was "touring" in brass-era cars. After his Dad and Stepmother were seriously injured by a cell-phone wielding/oblivious/comatose "driver", he decided that driving hundreds of miles in vehicles with light weight, slow-speed,  bad brakes, no lights, and zero safety-equipment was too likely to shorten his lifespan. Sold both of his old cars and bought a sailboat  :( ??? ::) Ugh.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2021, 01:59:36 PM »
This...
Or that...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 02:02:03 PM by deathsled »

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2021, 08:00:04 PM »
Even the old timer car guys at the local cruises don't recognize or know what they are seeing when they look at my 69 shelby convertible.  Maybe 1 out of 5 know what the car is.  Forget about the younger crowd.  I get a lot of stares and 2nd looks, but it is more like "what the hell is that"? 

After the mid 90s, I noticed a sharp decline in recognition of my shelby.  Prior to that, it was rock star status.

I know what you mean about the so called "car guys" at local events. I took my 1966 GT350 to a local gathering last Friday. Had a great time looking at the wide variety of vehicles and talking to the owners. Everything from late model Mustangs to an old Corvair with a V-8 swapped in; and a '36 Ford hot rod, and a 1966 Dodge Charger and many more fun cars. But when it came to my Shelby, no one seemed interested. I'm guessing nobody there knew what a 60's Shelby was, and they weren't interested in an old Mustang. I felt sad for them. While I enjoyed every car and owner I saw and met, they sat in their lawn chairs beside their treasures with no desire to see or learn about anything else.

Oh, well. Each to their own. I'll keep going back to check out any new vehicles that might show up and to hear the owners' stories. Plus, any day I get to drive my Shelby is a great day.

Steve

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2021, 10:25:45 PM »
Sitting in a lawn chair is why I avoid car shows.  I want to get out on the open road in red and gold and not let the grass grow through the pavement...