Author Topic: Clutch Pedal Support ?  (Read 3879 times)

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Clutch Pedal Support ?
« on: June 17, 2021, 10:22:55 AM »

I was advised yesterday that 1966 and 1967 clutch support brackets have a 100% mortality rate. This old Ford mechanic said its not a matter of if, its a matter of when. He went on to say if your clutch pedal does not return all the way up and stops about an inch short, its not your return assist spring, its the support bracket. "They all fail".

Can someone enlighten me on this ?   Is this fact or myth.......?

Thanks,
BG
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

67 GT350

• View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Support ?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 10:35:07 AM »
Bob, I am no expert, but many cars I have had had that issue. My Boss has always done that. a 67 GT350 I owned did that. As a few other cars over the years has. Not sure its an issue, I am sure we will be able to "read below" and perhaps be enlightened.

The only real problem for me was back in the 80's I had a Boss 302 that would bend the adjusting rod under the car and I would have to get under it and replace it from time to time, it got where I had one in the unsigned glove box at all times. In fact, I think I got one in my tool box now, I may have moved it somewhere of late! Like magic, that car stopped bending them????
RARE  Signature Delete

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 10:42:36 AM »

I was advised yesterday that 1966 and 1967 clutch support brackets have a 100% mortality rate. This old Ford mechanic said its not a matter of if, its a matter of when. He went on to say if your clutch pedal does not return all the way up and stops about an inch short, its not your return assist spring, its the support bracket. "They all fail".

Can someone enlighten me on this ?   Is this fact or myth.......?

Thanks,
BG
Probably referring to the bushings made into the bracket wearing out on a manual trans car.The bushings are permanently attached to the bracket.  Brackets from Automatic cars with unused manual bushing attachment points are used as donors if a original look is preferred . Some companies make alternative roller bearing repair parts if a after market repair is desired. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Cobrask8

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 12:28:08 PM »
Fact. Both my 1968 and 1969 had the bushings fail, and the holes elongate, resulting in strange clutch pedal motion.

Replaced it on my 1968  many, many years ago, and modified the '69 to use roller bearings on the clutch, gave it a very smooth action. Hidden upgrade well worth the work.

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 12:58:31 PM »
Fact. Both my 1968 and 1969 had the bushings fail, and the holes elongate, resulting in strange clutch pedal motion.

Replaced it on my 1968  many, many years ago, and modified the '69 to use roller bearings on the clutch, gave it a very smooth action. Hidden upgrade well worth the work.

Is that repair sold in a kit form? Is there a place to order them from?
RARE  Signature Delete

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 01:18:11 PM »

Is that repair sold in a kit form? Is there a place to order them from?

+1   Anybody know of this, and where to source ?

Thank You
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

Cobrask8

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 01:22:33 PM »

https://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/master-roller-bearing-repair-c5zz-2478-rbmk

And while you are at it, order two, try to retro-fit the Z-Bar bushings as well, as that is another wear/abrasion area.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 01:25:35 PM by Cobrask8 »

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 03:22:43 PM »

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 03:51:04 PM »
... did this on the car I had, if you don't need it to be concours it's worth doing. 

Also replace all the related bushings on the associated parts. 

If I remember right, there is a "rubber" pad/bumper stop that gets lost over the years, that the released pedal stops/hits/rests against.  Stops it from making metal to metal contact when the clutch pedal is released.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2021, 05:44:11 PM »
If you intend to drive your Mustang, then the roller bearing clutch bracket upgrade is a must! One of the best upgrades for the money.

Don
gt350bp

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2021, 07:39:29 PM »
Just asking but, ScottyD stuff is not of good quality usually. What is that made of? I only ask because I am afraid that for all the work, it should be very hard steel. If it is China made it actually might fail. This is a "Just sayin" / "Just asking" We all know that the metal from China is really useless including stainless.
RARE  Signature Delete

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2021, 08:10:49 PM »
Totally agree. It cuts the clutch pedal effort in half on a 428 GT500. Amazing difference, big improvement.

I got a kit from Mustang Steve once, twice have got the Drake kit. All pretty much the same.

If you intend to drive your Mustang, then the roller bearing clutch bracket upgrade is a must! One of the best upgrades for the money.

Don
gt350bp
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2021, 08:19:46 PM »
Totally agree. It cuts the clutch pedal effort in half on a 428 GT500. Amazing difference, big improvement.

I got a kit from Mustang Steve once, twice have got the Drake kit. All pretty much the same.

Don
gt350bp

So it is a good quality kit?
RARE  Signature Delete

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2021, 09:58:06 PM »
Yes both kits were very nice. Generally I am not a big fan of Scott Drake but these kits were nice.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

sg66

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2021, 10:19:10 PM »
Just asking but, ScottyD stuff is not of good quality usually. What is that made of? I only ask because I am afraid that for all the work, it should be very hard steel. If it is China made it actually might fail. This is a "Just sayin" / "Just asking" We all know that the metal from China is really useless including stainless.
I'm always skeptical of Drake stuff too but did use these. The bearings from what I can tell are put together well. The only issue I recall was the groove for the c-clip sat maybe .001 - .002 too low when the bearing was installed in the support. Nothing that 5 minutes with a file on the support couldn't solve. It's also not a bad idea to throw the plastic bushings for the Z-bar in the trash and use bronze instead