Author Topic: Roll bar designer  (Read 1079 times)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Roll bar designer
« on: June 21, 2021, 06:31:54 AM »
Yesterday while at the Motor Muster at Greenfield Village in Dearborn I met the designer of the 68-70 Shelby vert roll bar designer. As a young "kid" at Ford he was given the task of designing a roll bar for the vert as they already had one for the fastback. He was also tasked later to make the 67 Snake in the Shelby fender emblem into a 3d design. He credited the metal men for the final product but it was his design also. First the 68 Fender emblems then the snakes found on 69-70 cars. Over the years it has been cool to meet many who have designed this or that on these cars. He was also tasked with designing the 1994 Mustang.  Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

NukeGT

• View Profile
Re: Roll bar designer
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 08:45:13 AM »
Gary
Did he discuss the back story about the tie down loop provisions on top of the roll bar or mention their capacity? 🤠
How about how little clearance there is between the roll bar uprights and the top frame which created impression in padding on one side or the other dependent on assembly fit?

I think someone held the dumb end of the tape measure in the wrong place!🤪

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Roll bar designer
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 09:21:38 AM »
Gary
Did he discuss the back story about the tie down loop provisions on top of the roll bar or mention their capacity? 🤠
How about how little clearance there is between the roll bar uprights and the top frame which created impression in padding on one side or the other dependent on assembly fit?

I think someone held the dumb end of the tape measure in the wrong place!🤪
I didn't get into that with him. Busy day, I was with my family and didn't even think about the clearance issue as I never had one with my roll bar. I mentioned the hooks and the surf board and he wasn't aware(or didn't remember?) so I wonder down the line in development someone else added them as the final product. 
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)