News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

At least this PNW heat is good for something...

Started by s2ms, June 28, 2021, 05:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s2ms

...spraying black crinkle paint on a set of original closed letter valve covers!

Outside temp 110F, not something us PNW'ers are used to, but worked out great for this, didn't have to sneak them into the oven.

Dave - 6S1757

silverton_ford

PrettyMuchAShelbyGuy

BTDT w/the oven... And, man is the dishwasher great for some small parts..
Tom - DFW, Texas

deathsled

Intellectual curiosity drives me to ask how you will expose the silver on the valve covers once dry. Acetone possibly or? I genuinely don't know the methodology but I am curious.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

PrettyMuchAShelbyGuy

I'm going with "What is Sandpaper Alex, for $500.00"!  I've done it, but far from being a 'pro'...
Tom - DFW, Texas

s2ms

Quote from: deathsled on June 28, 2021, 11:03:13 PM
Intellectual curiosity drives me to ask how you will expose the silver on the valve covers once dry. Acetone possibly or? I genuinely don't know the methodology but I am curious.

I usually start with a solvent and light touch first, Gumout works pretty well, then use fine sandpaper as needed. I gave the fins and letters a light wipe with WD-40 before painting so they should cleanup pretty easily, at least they did the last time...
Dave - 6S1757

6S1568

Nice work Dave, post a finished photo for us too. Thanks, Denny

8T03S1425

Quote from: deathsled on June 28, 2021, 11:03:13 PM

I've finished the fins and letters prior to paint. Once I got the fin and letter finish I want, I then masked those areas and used a very sharp Xacto knife or razor blade to trim off any excess masking tape.

After the valve cover is painted, I removed the tape and finished off any rough edges with the Xacto knife, razor blade, or sand paper, depending on the situation.

Only once did I paint the whole valve cover, except for the steel parts. Removing paint from the fins and letters was too much work.

I've used an old oven to get the crinkle effect, but have also had good results using a hair dryer on a high heat and low air flow setting.

I hope this helps those wanting to refinish solid letter valve covers and reproduction T oil pans, should you want the repro oil pan to match the valve covers.

Steve
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & '74.

KR Convertible

I have always removed the filler tube and plug wire holders and used a belt sander.

s2ms

Thanks for the comments, goes to show there are multiple ways to do this.

This was a simple repaint so no need to remove the wire holders and filler tube.  I've tried the tape masking method mentioned which also works well.  Last time I tried wiping the fins/letters with light oil like WD-40, which prevents the paint from sticking very well, so the paint was much easier to remove.  Guess I'll see if that worked as well this time...
Dave - 6S1757

TOBKOB

I used plain old lacquer thinner and a rag barely moistened and elbow grease... Not too bad of a job. :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

s2ms

Quote from: 6S1568 on June 29, 2021, 07:26:21 AM
Nice work Dave, post a finished photo for us too. Thanks, Denny

Thanks Denny, here they are finished...

Dave - 6S1757

csheff

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

6S1568

Nice job Dave, better than NEW I'd say! Let me know when to send mine over, he he he Denny