Author Topic: At least this PNW heat is good for something...  (Read 5189 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: At least this PNW heat is good for something...
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2021, 02:28:10 PM »
Nice work Dave, post a finished photo for us too. Thanks, Denny

Thanks Denny, here they are finished...

VERY NICE!
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2021, 03:08:13 PM »
Thanks guys!

Nice job Dave, better than NEW I'd say! Let me know when to send mine over, he he he Denny

Sure thing Denny, next time it's 110F out there send them over... ;)
Dave - 6S1757

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2021, 03:16:20 AM »
Hi Dave,

Nice work.  Care to share your recipe?  Did you mask the fins or just removed the paint before putting in the 110 Degrees F  ?  How did you remove?  I can see you masked off the tube and plug wire brackets, but not the fins.  Or am I  blind?

Thanks

Cory

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2021, 01:07:27 PM »
Thanks Cory. I did not mask the fins or letters, no need to call Hovander for an eye exam. I just lightly wiped the fins and letters with WD-40 to prevent the paint from sticking well and sprayed directly in the 110F heat, paint started to krinkle very quickly. There were some small scratches that I wanted to clean up anyway so removed the fin/letter paint starting with 180 grit sandpaper followed by 400 grit. IMO the WD-40 definitely helped the paint come off easier.
Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2021, 01:14:18 PM »
Thanks Cory. I did not mask the fins or letters, no need to call Hovander for an eye exam. I just lightly wiped the fins and letters with WD-40 to prevent the paint from sticking well and sprayed directly in the 110F heat, paint started to krinkle very quickly. There were some small scratches that I wanted to clean up anyway so removed the fin/letter paint starting with 180 grit sandpaper followed by 400 grit. IMO the WD-40 definitely helped the paint come off easier.
400 grit is too fine compared to originals and NOS IMO.  250 grit would be the most to go if you want a factory finish. It all depends on if you want a personalized look or a factory look.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2021, 04:24:57 PM »
Thanks Bob, I was wondering about that. I'll get some 250 and "rough it up".
Dave - 6S1757

8T03S1425

• SAAC Member
  • Next to sex, I like my Shelby best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2021, 10:09:38 PM »

I like the sharp transition between the paint and the sanded letters and fins. However, it looks like the crinkle finish is more a sandy, granular finish. Might the WD-40 have contaminated the crinkle agent?

Steve
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & ‘74.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2021, 12:50:22 AM »
 The wrinkle texture is effected by the amount of paint in a given coat , number of coats, direction paint is applied (at least three directions at right angle ) and heat. Silicone contamination could effect a local area but typically not consistently on the overall surface.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2021, 01:19:45 AM »
I like the sharp transition between the paint and the sanded letters and fins. However, it looks like the crinkle finish is more a sandy, granular finish. Might the WD-40 have contaminated the crinkle agent?

Steve

The wrinkle texture is effected by the amount of paint in a given coat , number of coats, direction paint is applied (at least three directions at right angle ) and heat. Silicone contamination could effect a local area but typically not consistently on the overall surface.

Steve,

I don't think the WD-40 had any effect on any of the surrounding surfaces. The paint definitely has a nice wrinkle, just didn't show up well in the posted photos. While I was very pleased with how these turned out for my purposes, they are not perfect, mainly due to some inconsistencies, especially between the fins/letters where I didn't get the paint evenly thick enough. Bob hit the nail on the head, crinkle quality is very sensitive to all the things he mentioned. It was very tricky to get the coat thickness really even, especially given this was a quicky project painting on a flat surface, I was surprised how well they did turn out.  I think if I was going after the best possible finish I would have them powder-coated.

Dave
Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2021, 11:59:38 AM »

Steve

Steve,

I don't think the WD-40 had any effect on any of the surrounding surfaces. The paint definitely has a nice wrinkle, just didn't show up well in the posted photos. While I was very pleased with how these turned out for my purposes, they are not perfect, mainly due to some inconsistencies, especially between the fins/letters where I didn't get the paint evenly thick enough. Bob hit the nail on the head, crinkle quality is very sensitive to all the things he mentioned. It was very tricky to get the coat thickness really even, especially given this was a quicky project painting on a flat surface, I was surprised how well they did turn out.  I think if I was going after the best possible finish I would have them powder-coated.

Dave
I wouldn't sweat it. Many/Most  NOS and assemblyline originals were not perfect in every way when new back in the day.

6s341

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2021, 12:28:16 PM »
They look great to me, nice job, and thanks for sharing the techniques!