News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 Shelby - fiberglass nose - 2 pieces?

Started by Richstang, April 17, 2018, 11:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richstang

JD,
Thanks for posting these comparison photos. I agree, both of these appear to have matching details.
Same type of fiberglass, deep headlight buckets, and 3 outer bosses in the same positions for the outer trim ring to screw into.
(If you sell them 5 grommets instead of 4 you'll have a broken set)
:P

Mike with #0458 is a SAAC forum member here. He sent me a PM a few weeks ago about the light mounting plates and offered to send photos.
Hopefully he will see this thread, chime in, and share some photos. It would be nice to see if his 2 piece fiberglass nose is the same as well.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Wedgeman

Richstang, I know Mike well, and have seen his car up close several times....it almost appears to be a survivor...you can ask him about that...

owenkelley

#413's two piece nose looks like the other two on here that are thought to be early aftermarket parts. Maybe all the factory two piece noses were early aftermarket parts!  ;)  In a way, they were..........

Also, #413 escaped the Shelby production facility with it's door tag in place.

Richstang

THANKS again Owen,

Is there anyway you can get us some photos of that nose...(front and backside) especially if its still off the car?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JD on April 18, 2018, 12:21:09 PM
Quote from: Richstang on April 18, 2018, 10:53:16 AM
JD,
The photo you posted does NOT appear to be from either of the two cars I've noted with a 2 piece nose. Here's the link to the Dark Moss Green car restored in England at Dragon Wheels Restoration. They have a second DMG car restoration, so this link we direct you to the 2 piece nose car only. They show pictures of over a dozen Shelby restorations on their site. I'll only say that these photos should not be followed for reference.
http://dragonwheelsrestorations.co.uk/gallery_car.asp?cID=64&car=1967%5FShelby%5FGT500%5FDark%5FMoss%5FGreen

Rich & Bob, see attached image from the car Rich posted a link to that is in England.  It seems to match the one I posted in an earlier reply that Bob says is thought to be a repro of some sort.  I'm sure they made more than one of them - here's another or are there variations of 2-piece noses?  (just a thought for discussion)  Another image added...

Also, odd that the right (passenger side) inboard grille light mounting plate has two holes for the wiring and connector (maybe I can sell him 5 instead of the typical 4?).

It could be given the correct two piece style joint. I don't think a aftermarket piece would copy a obscure detail like that. I have seen known repro one piece nose that had the strange primitive looking molded in bucket. Without seeing the joint in the previous picture I thought that is what I was looking at besides it already had repair work done to it. I haven't seen enough of the two piece to say for certain how many different 2 piece versions there was.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Sorry no pictures of the back side or stripped down. 67 #803 seen at a national a few years back

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Richstang

THANKS Jeff,

#0803 is another GT500, but as we see here it has a vertical/straight grille. It won the chairman's award at SAAC 32 in UT.
I've added it to the list in post #1. The time frame in production is starting to spread out wider than I expected.

J_Speegle

Quote from: Richstang on April 18, 2018, 04:53:02 PM
THANKS Jeff,

#0803 is another GT500, but as we see here it has a vertical/straight grille. It won the chairman's award at SAAC 32 in UT.
I've added it to the list in post #1. The time frame in production is starting to spread out wider than I expected.

Don't know that it "spreads out" the time line since the cars were not completed in sequential (at Shelby) order. Don't fall into that trap without taking into consideration other events and facts 

There have been mention of some cars being started but not completed which could lead to false positive assumptions. Just treading lightly ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Richstang

Understood...That's why I'm noting both the SJ and SA completion dates for each of the cars to give us a look at the complete window of time.
I realize that some cars may have been basically finished, but not listed at complete due to a part shortage or other special reasons.

Richstang

Photo's of #0413 courtesy of "owenkelly"

Richstang

and the back of #0413

J_Speegle

Quote from: Richstang on April 17, 2018, 11:03:39 PM
Anyone else know of another car with this 2 piece nose. Please let us know.

EDIT: List of cars known or believed to have a 2 piece fiberglass nose.

#0467  GT500 SJ completion 1/27/67 -SA completion 1/27/67  (Shelby forums note from owner)

Picture confirmation that #467 had the nose at least when these pictures were taken
Picture grabbed from the internet add for the car

mjv458

Richstang,

Mike Vercheak here. I PM you asking for you email address so I can send you some pictures. My car is altogether and has been since I bought it so I do not have pictures like some of the other guys posted with their cars all apart. My car does have deep slanted inboards. I will also try to resize some pictures and post them here.

thanks,
Mike owner of 458

67gt500

Also, odd that the right (passenger side) inboard grille light mounting plate has two holes for the wiring and connector (maybe I can sell him 5 instead of the typical 4?).

486 has the 2 piece and it also has the extra hole in the mounting plate, which I always thought was a repo.. or maybe it is