Author Topic: Radiator Overflow  (Read 2596 times)

67 GT350

• View Profile
Radiator Overflow
« on: June 28, 2021, 07:13:51 PM »
Has anyone installed a radiator overflow devise in their car? 65 through 70 Mustang or Shelby? If so, where did you get it and is there one that might look good?
RARE  Signature Delete

68krrrr

• SoCal Upland
    • View Profile
Re: Radiator Overflow
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 11:16:39 PM »
Not sure who makes it but my shop told me if i wanted one, there's one they could hide in the wheel well,that they've used before for guys who don't want to see something in the engine bay thats not supposed to be there.
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

trotrof1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 08:19:09 AM »
I installed a stainless steel cylindrical unit on my 66.  I painted it semi gloss and mounted it astride left side of radiator without any mods. It works great and isnt obtrusive. There is a 13 and a 15 inch version.

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 09:28:32 AM »

rmarble57

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 09:36:48 AM »
Chiming in with my solution.  First, I hate trying to clean up anti-freeze boil over after it has spotted on the nice engine compartment paint, so for me it was a necessary addition, factory or not.
I purchased mine from Amazon and have attached a picture of the installation.  Easily removed if desired.

Link to item on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/EVIL-ENERGY-Universal-Radiator-Overflow/dp/B08BZ8ZQYK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=radiator+overflow+tank&qid=1624973554&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzUEMwWkNLSUtRQTgzJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDkyNzA5NUhPMjNUTVhXRFZKJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA2NDA4NjQzTjVMODE3TU9MMDJKJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

sfm5

• SAAC Member
  • Great White North
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 10:38:27 AM »
I too have a stainless steel cylindrical overflow tank that I had to deal with when restoring my radiator last year on my '65. It is held in place with zap straps, so is easily removed. I was considering getting rid of it because it looks kinda out of place being SS, but didn't want to risk having a mess in the engine compartment.
65 GT350

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 02:16:15 PM »
I too have a stainless steel cylindrical overflow tank that I had to deal with when restoring my radiator last year on my '65. It is held in place with zap straps, so is easily removed. I was considering getting rid of it because it looks kinda out of place being SS, but didn't want to risk having a mess in the engine compartment.
Scuff it and paint it black would be one alternative.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 09:31:46 AM »
Fran,

Years ago I saw a GT350 on the left coast that used the plastic windshield washer reservoir as the overflow, which obviously didn't look out of place.... I thought it quite ingenious.

Bob
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 09:42:15 AM »
Yes Bob,
I have seen those also, it is a good idea, but I am sure some would say that if you ever wanted a washer to work, then what do you do?
RARE  Signature Delete

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2021, 11:51:14 AM »
I have always wanted to try and find or make one out of a piece of an inner tube and put it inside the hollow crossmember below the radiator support.  I had planned to use the valve to connect the overflow tube after removing the valve core.  Just have to figure out the best way to seal up the ends, considered rubber cement or brass freeze out plugs and hose clamps.

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 02:06:05 PM »
Yes Bob,
I have seen those also, it is a good idea, but I am sure some would say that if you ever wanted a washer to work, then what do you do?

I, like most..... have never turned on, or even know if my wipers even work !    First drop of rain and she is heading to the house !
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

mr68shelby

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2021, 12:40:37 AM »
Mine is a round metal one from the speed shop. I painted it black and mounted it under the passenger fender in front of the tire. I used metal straps bolted around it for mounting brackets. I ran the hose just under the top of the radiator support and in front of the battery. I snaked it through the inner fender though an existing hole outboard of the battery. Mike