News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 Gt500 oil cooler

Started by Rex, July 04, 2021, 01:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex

Is the oil cooler placement the same on 67 and 68? I have a 67 that originally had a cooler on it (AC car) but due to an old accident, it had a new radiator support put on many decades ago and the cooler was lost. I have access to a 68 air car that is very original to look at if the placement is the same. Thanks in advance.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Rex on July 04, 2021, 01:54:30 PM
Is the oil cooler placement the same on 67 and 68? I have a 67 that originally had a cooler on it (AC car) but due to an old accident, it had a new radiator support put on many decades ago and the cooler was lost. I have access to a 68 air car that is very original to look at if the placement is the same. Thanks in advance.
No the placement is different . The hoses are the same so physically in the same place on the car but the front end fiberglass pieces , metal supports and cooler holding brackets are different consequently the placement is different . The coolers are the same although 67 is black and the 68 is the turquoise color.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Rex

Well....Are there any file photos on here or around to look at? Since  there we're so few I don't suppose any members would have engineering specs, etc?

shelbydoug

Quote from: Rex on July 04, 2021, 03:36:21 PM
Well....Are there any file photos on here or around to look at? Since  there we're so few I don't suppose any members would have engineering specs, etc?

There really aren't any. I looked for years at SAAC national conventions and might have seen two or three original setups on 67 GT500's?

The only significant difference that I noticed on 67s is that SA used a hole saw to cut through the fiberglass nose to run the oil lines.

Hit up Gaines for pictures. He's the only one that I know of that might have documentation pics of the original installs? maybe? They are very rare and difficult to find specific install details on.

ALTHOUGH...if the search function worked right here, you might find some pics that he already posted? It's all becoming a little hazy here? Was that before or after the crash? Ground Hog day...again?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67GT500#1594

I've got plenty of pics but can't load any??

JD

do these help??

^^^ same issue - I have 4 images but can't up-load any of them :-(

Loaded - Thanks SAAC Forum ;-)

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Rex

I PMd 67GT500#1594 and JD. maybe you can email or text them to me? 402-649-1816 or Rex.mahoney@bigironrealty.com

JD

Rex, 4 images sent to your e-mail.

I don't know if these are "correct" to original method, but I think they are.

Once the up-load folder issue is resolved I'll try and load them here for confirmation (hopefully) and future reference.

Hope this helps, let me know you got them.

JD
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Rex

Got em JD. This helps a lot! Probably fair to say no two were mounted alike.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67GT500#1594 on July 05, 2021, 01:21:23 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143769312626
Nope . The wavy fins identify that cooler as a later reproduction. Those were first done about 20 years ago I believe. Originals have straight fins. That is a good reproduction other then that highly visible detail . There is a Canadian 1/3 size smaller version circulating occasionally that has fooled a lot of people into buying on line . It looks good until it arrives and they hold the miniature in their hands  .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 05, 2021, 01:29:46 PM
Quote from: 67GT500#1594 on July 05, 2021, 01:21:23 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143769312626
Nope . The wavy fins identify that cooler as a later reproduction. Those were first done about 20 years ago I believe. Originals have straight fins. That is a good reproduction other then that highly visible detail . There is a Canadian 1/3 size smaller version circulating occasionally that has fooled a lot of people into buying on line . It looks good until it arrives and they hold the miniature in their hands  .

The wavy has been around longer then that. Late '70s. Maybe as early as '74-75? It might even have been a late Ford Service part? Ford wouldn't have cared.

Difficult to say other then it varies from the "production" part, since they are so scarce to begin with?

It's not an argument by me. Just my observation from the top of my mountain. Down in the valley is different.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

In a discussion I had with the owner of the company, the wavy fins were the result of a new "wavy" fin machine. The wavy fin machine apparently cost a good deal of money and they had no interest in changing to the older, straight fins. He said the wavy fins provided better cooling.

He also provided the history/evolution of the company, but I dont think I wrote it down.

As I recall, the oem manufacturer was sold at least twice. The current owner is Fluidyne.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

8T03S1425

Here is a repro oil cooler assembly I bought from Jim Cowles, for my '68 GT500 w/AC. It was one of the last heat exchangers, if not the last, he had. I hope that Jesse, or some of his confidants might know where he got them.

I had heard that most reproduction heat exchangers had wavy fins, so I was happy to see straight fins on the one I got. It bolted right up to the original brackets that were on my car.

Steve
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & '74.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 8T03S1425 on July 05, 2021, 09:29:07 PM
Here is a repro oil cooler assembly I bought from Jim Cowles, for my '68 GT500 w/AC. It was one of the last heat exchangers, if not the last, he had. I hope that Jesse, or some of his confidants might know where he got them.

I had heard that most reproduction heat exchangers had wavy fins, so I was happy to see straight fins on the one I got. It bolted right up to the original brackets that were on my car.

Steve
So as not to further confuse the OP and others reading as it pertains to the subject at hand (67) that picture is of a reproduction 68 version. The brackets are different on a 67. The cooler is painted black on a 67 . However the hoses and the oil filter adapter are the same as 67 . FYI the original hoses have molded in date markings and the fittings are slightly different in appearance.