News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Ignition key neurosis

Started by deathsled, July 04, 2021, 10:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Am I the only member of this exclusive club who checks the ignition key to make sure the jagged teeth of the key are in the 12 o'clock position before inserting said key into the tumblers of the ignition switch?  I believe it saves the key over the long run and the ignition switch, does it not?  No fumbling around either.  I suspect the 12 o'clock position goes on into 1967 and maybe even 1968.  I have a strong recollection that my 1969 Mustang coupe (my very first car at 14 years of age) had teeth on both sides so it didn't matter which way it went in.  Same neurosis for the trunk key that only admits the key in the 12 o'clock position.

Best,

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bob Gaines

Quote from: deathsled on July 04, 2021, 10:42:38 PM
Am I the only member of this exclusive club who checks the ignition key to make sure the jagged teeth of the key are in the 12 o'clock position before inserting said key into the tumblers of the ignition switch?  I believe it saves the key over the long run and the ignition switch, does it not?  No fumbling around either.  I suspect the 12 o'clock position goes on into 1967 and maybe even 1968.  I have a strong recollection that my 1969 Mustang coupe (my very first car at 14 years of age) had teeth on both sides so it didn't matter which way it went in.  Same neurosis for the trunk key that only admits the key in the 12 o'clock position.

Best,

Richard E.
You are thinking of 65/66 with teeth only on one side. 67-70 Shelby/Mustang has the teeth on both sides. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JWH

Not nuerosis related, but key related. I went into our local Ace Hardware store last week to have them cut keys for the '66 so I have a duplicate set. Stan has been working in this same store for over 30 years. He was tickled pink to make a single sided key on the old school key machine. He said I haven't made one of these in years.

deathsled

Quote from: JWH on July 05, 2021, 12:29:41 AM
Not nuerosis related, but key related. I went into our local Ace Hardware store last week to have them cut keys for the '66 so I have a duplicate set. Stan has been working in this same store for over 30 years. He was tickled pink to make a single sided key on the old school key machine. He said I haven't made one of these in years.
Such keys are getting harder and harder to find.  I do have a set of pony key blanks that I should put behind glass with a sign that reads break in case of emergency...
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"