News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Who would sell their gt350 for less then it's market value?

Started by 427hunter, July 06, 2021, 12:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67 GT350

Quote from: SFM6S on July 07, 2021, 12:26:46 PM
I would like to get a fair price for my car when I sell it. Would I discount it to a SAAC member...depends on the time and circumstances. We all know the value of the cars...low$$ to mega$$. The value of a car is what both the seller and buyer agree to at one point in time; the beauty of an open market. Some are looking for complete numbers matching, others want something they can enjoy. At the end of the day a solid driver that drives well and presents well does it for me. If I had the means...a really nice carryover would be my ideal ride. As it is, I'm lucky to have a nice driver later production 66.

That was PERFECT!! 100 Percent!
RARE  Signature Delete

s2ms

No need to overthink this. Should be relatively easy to find owners willing to sell their gt350 well below current market value. Only need these three things:

1.) DeLorean
2.) 1.21 gigawatt power supply
3.) Flux capacitor
Dave - 6S1757

FL SAAC

Quote from: 557 on July 07, 2021, 11:37:05 AM
Well,I did recently pick up a nice 67 gt500 for $6k.....Of course that depends on your def. of "recently ".The year was 1982 and.................. ;D ;)

Did you say 1982

What happened in 1982 Major News Stories include Michael Jackson releases Thriller Album, First CD player sold in Japan, Dutch Elm Disease destorys millions of Elm Trees, Tylenol capsules laced with potassium cyanide kill 7 in Chicago, Times man of The Year is THE COMPUTER, Disney Futuristic Park EPCOT opens, Recession starts in the United States, The Mary Rose, flagship of Henry VIII raised in the Solent. New technology continues to change our buying habits with smaller and cheaper electronic gadgets appearing including and a new industry is just beginning with the use of Genetic Engineering human insulin produced by bacteria is sold for the first time. On the world stage Argentina invades the Falkland Islands and Argentina and the UK go to war over a small island thousands of miles away. After many reports of Whales becoming and endangered species the International Whaling Commission decides to end commercial whaling, and a major recession hits the United States.

The Whales story reminds me of the time....
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

George Schalk

The collector car market is like any other investment market, it will go up and it will go down.  There was a day when $80,000 was top dollar for a pristine numbers matching '66 Shelby.  That day may come again, possibly sooner than you think.  I would consider the Shelby market to be quite small for a couple reasons, a) the number of cars available, b) the limited number of buyers (baby boomers and Gen X'ers are primary buyers), c) and the small number of buyers who can actually afford to make a substantial purchase on an old car.  When this small group of buyers is gone one day, this collector car market will dwindle and anyone invested in a collector car may be willing to take whatever they can get for it. 

Stop crucifying a guy because he put a dollar amount on what he has to spend.  If he can't locate a car for his set budget, he will likely realize he may have to up his ante if he wants to continue his hunt for a 66 Shelby.  If you feel your car doesn't fit his criteria, just keep scrolling past his want ad until you find the right buyer for your car.  Opportunities arise every day, with the right time and right place he may find what he is looking for. 

This is petty nonsense.  Leave it be and instead discuss the correct finish on your original parts and the correct methods of restoring these cars!!  Isn't that what this site is supposed to be for?!

That's my 2 cents!!

deathsled

I still like the idea of selling a family member to a drug manufacturer to make up the difference.  I mean c'mon man, it's for a Shelby...
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

67 GT350

Quote from: George Schalk on July 07, 2021, 02:32:24 PM
The collector car market is like any other investment market, it will go up and it will go down.  There was a day when $80,000 was top dollar for a pristine numbers matching '66 Shelby.  That day may come again, possibly sooner than you think.  I would consider the Shelby market to be quite small for a couple reasons, a) the number of cars available, b) the limited number of buyers (baby boomers and Gen X'ers are primary buyers), c) and the small number of buyers who can actually afford to make a substantial purchase on an old car.  When this small group of buyers is gone one day, this collector car market will dwindle and anyone invested in a collector car may be willing to take whatever they can get for it. 

Stop crucifying a guy because he put a dollar amount on what he has to spend.  If he can't locate a car for his set budget, he will likely realize he may have to up his ante if he wants to continue his hunt for a 66 Shelby.  If you feel your car doesn't fit his criteria, just keep scrolling past his want ad until you find the right buyer for your car.  Opportunities arise every day, with the right time and right place he may find what he is looking for. 

This is petty nonsense.  Leave it be and instead discuss the correct finish on your original parts and the correct methods of restoring these cars!!  Isn't that what this site is supposed to be for?!

That's my 2 cents!!

A+
RARE  Signature Delete

FL SAAC

+ 2

That's my 2 cents!!

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Just spoke to a close friend of mine from Chicagoland  he wants to remit this message :

You're still here? It's over!
Ferris Bhueller

Watch "You're Still Here?" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/Fc0V_o-IzME

I have all UNGOLD cars

6s1139

That day may come again, possibly sooner than you think.  I would consider the Shelby market to be quite small for a couple reasons, a) the number of cars available, b) the limited number of buyers (baby boomers and Gen X'ers are primary buyers), c) and the small number of buyers who can actually afford to make a substantial purchase on an old car.  When this small group of buyers is gone one day, this collector car market will dwindle and anyone invested in a collector car may be willing to take whatever they can get for it. 

Agree x10 - I think the Shelby foodchain will spread even further - R's will always command top dollar given history/rarity but late driver 66's (like mine) will at best hold I reckon.

Looking at my own kids, they are into cars and are lucky to have a couple of what they consider classics (80/90's) - would love for them to takeover my cars one day but I am also very conscious that it could be a burden and I don't want them doing it just for sentimental reasons (especially if they are trying to buy a house etc, just too much money tied up when you are young)

To the OPs post, no harm in asking - for anyone that has sold a car online, sure you have had worse with "low ballers" and "tire kickers"

cheers

67 GT350

I just also need to say another view. I will speak for myself. I have a few cars that are worth good money. On the "passing" subject. If I was to pass on and my wife ws left with my cars, I would want her to sell them sooner than later due to having them sit for a year or two is not good for them. Nothing makes a car sell for less than it not starting. My cars are all paid for, we have money to live, we have a nice place to live, thus if they were sold for less than they should have been sold for, that is OK. It would also be OK with ME.....do you understand why I say that? (Although I do know a few people that think they will be able to take everything they have with them).
RARE  Signature Delete

427hunter

As usual everything on this forum has to take a giant S#$%.

The only question was would you sell your car for under market to someone because they are a forum member.

Then (as is always the case) we have to hear the same old tune, "my adult child only like pokemon and takes the bus", "everyone is going to die therefore no one will want our cars"  Yes your child is the bench mark for the future, and since we are all going to die you should sell all your stuff and eat dirt, better yet sell what you own to leave to your heirs so they can buy a time share and a Prius.

"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

deathsled

Though you can't take the car(s) with you, they can certainly take you with them.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

shelbymann1970

Wow, 5 pages of interesting reading but 1 factor on why someone might sell a car under market value wasn't discussed and 1 I have seen before. TAXES. I have 1 friend who bought a 67 GT500 under market many years ago. He put cash on the table and his gun(hey his story). Sellers had a choice for a private sale cash or maybe a more open market with a paper trail. They took the cash. Now my situation. A "good" friend of mine bought a Shelby around 2001 before the market jumped and got a good deal on it thanks to really low ball offers the prior owner got at a SAAC-MCR show. He paid 35K. Fast forward to last year. This same car in #1 is 250K plus but his car is a #4 to me. I know, I have done work on his car and know it. So I get my 69 428 SCJ Mach1 about ready to put back on the street and sell to buy his Vert. Now he said to me more than once "you know what I paid for it. You know what it needs. I'm not looking for top dollar and if you want it I'll give you a good deal". He is a business owner who knows what his capital gains will be if sold on consignment or auction. Cash sale to me means possibly  he is looking to skirt the tax bill or not get scammed or open up his "privacy". We both save.  So a few months ago I stop by. Go over the car again. Well when he said 140K and my Mach1(200K plus total for a 130K car) it was game over. I didn't say a word. I'll be having fun with my Mach for the time being. While it would have been nice to have Shelby "bookends" it wouldn't be at his "good price". The Shelby needed a full restoration including metal work and what happened to his engine (broken valve spring and bent pushrod) 2 years ago the engine would come out for a rebuild immediately. I even fabricated a tool to replace the valve spring with the head still on to get the car back running.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Greg

Market value fluctuates, could one be purchased under current market value, absolutely.  There are enough dealers in the Shelby arena that can attest to that, if they weren't, those resellers wouldn't be in business. 

The original question about selling it to a SAAC member at a discount, for some reason the OP implies that being a member affords you some discount.  It does not, in fact, a current SAAC member should know what the current market is doing and be prepared to purchase a vehicle at that level.

As always, cash is king and some folks will take $20-30K less to have cash in hand and not a lot of folks keep $200-300K laying around.     
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

67 GT350

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on July 08, 2021, 06:58:45 AM
Wow, 5 pages of interesting reading but 1 factor on why someone might sell a car under market value wasn't discussed and 1 I have seen before. TAXES. I have 1 friend who bought a 67 GT500 under market many years ago. He put cash on the table and his gun(hey his story). Sellers had a choice for a private sale cash or maybe a more open market with a paper trail. They took the cash. Now my situation. A "good" friend of mine bought a Shelby around 2001 before the market jumped and got a good deal on it thanks to really low ball offers the prior owner got at a SAAC-MCR show. He paid 35K. Fast forward to last year. This same car in #1 is 250K plus but his car is a #4 to me. I know, I have done work on his car and know it. So I get my 69 428 SCJ Mach1 about ready to put back on the street and sell to buy his Vert. Now he said to me more than once "you know what I paid for it. You know what it needs. I'm not looking for top dollar and if you want it I'll give you a good deal". He is a business owner who knows what his capital gains will be if sold on consignment or auction. Cash sale to me means possibly  he is looking to skirt the tax bill or not get scammed or open up his "privacy". We both save.  So a few months ago I stop by. Go over the car again. Well when he said 140K and my Mach1(200K plus total for a 130K car) it was game over. I didn't say a word. I'll be having fun with my Mach for the time being. While it would have been nice to have Shelby "bookends" it wouldn't be at his "good price". The Shelby needed a full restoration including metal work and what happened to his engine (broken valve spring and bent pushrod) 2 years ago the engine would come out for a rebuild immediately. I even fabricated a tool to replace the valve spring with the head still on to get the car back running.

I had asked, why would you sell at an auction for what 20K more and much more in "fees"?
RARE  Signature Delete