News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Turn Signal Handle Plastic Bushing (Sleeve)

Started by mr68shelby, July 08, 2021, 10:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr68shelby

I took this picture at Sonoma in 2018. It was on a survivor car. I did not take a picture of the VIN. Should all of the cars have the plastic on the end of the handle? Thanks. Mike

68blk500c

I looked over this same car (as did others) while at Sonoma in 2018.  It was a head turner survivor car from not far from Speegle's turf.  So, I have overheard others referring to this plastic sleeve on some cars over the years, yet no discussion on this topic that Mike started.

This particular car was the first time I had observed the sleeve on a 68.  I think I recall seeing at least one 69 with a sleeve. 

A factory thing? Or, a service thing?  Or, an aftermarket thing?

Krelboyne

Definitely a tilt column thing. I think 1970-71 time frame is when they showed up.
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

TOBKOB

QuoteDefinitely a tilt column thing.
+1

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

shelbymann1970

I owned 3 tilt columns one being in my 68 When I bought it being a car that sat since the early 70s and have never seen that plastic piece. I got a 69 column in my attic I pulled out of a 69 Mach1 in 1980 and used in my GT350 vert until resto in the late 90s and no sleeve. I sold a "68" column about a decade ago and no plastic sleeve either. Other 68s I know do not have that sleeve. Does it show up in assy manuals for 68 and 69? I don't even understand the need for it. pic of a 1 owner survivor 68 GT500 sitting since 1973 and no sleeve. I actually bought the 69 Mach1 just for the tilt wheel. Took it out and put a standard column in it and sold the car. Did that to a few cars back then. Paid 500 bucks for the car.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

68blk500c

Tilt column example--yes.

Interesting comment about the possibility of being a later (71-73) item.  I am unfamiliar with details on those cars/parts.

Thanks for delving back into your past experiences on this.  Sure sounds like it isn't a factory piece.  I will have to spend some more time digging through MPC pages and reference material to see if it is even there.  I have a NOS (service) tilt switch, as well as a lever, and neither have a sleeve included.

Other feedback is appreciated.  Thanks,
Don 

CharlesTurner

Since the sleeve extends out past the opening, I would think this would limit the lever movement to tilt the column up or down?  Maybe this was put there on a tilt column with issues to prevent the tilt function?

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Krelboyne

On the later tilt columns, I believe that the bushing was needed to make to make immediate contact with the tilt bale part. Without, there would be a gap, and the lever would need to over extend to complete the release of the bale.

mr68shelby

I looked in the 65-72 MPC and could not find anything reference the sleeve. The parts listing does not show a different handle for tilt versus non tilt columns. There is not a listing for a separate part for the handle.

The illustrated listings clearly show the handle without a sleeve.

My tilt column has approximately a .040 gap between the handle and the bail. It works fine with the gap. When the handle is pushed to release the tilt column, there is small gap between the handle and the steering column housing. It does not hit.

In the picture, there appears to be a rub mark on the bail from the sleeve. Would the plastic have made it easier to slide on the bail rather than metal on metal when releasing the tilt column?

But that still does not answer what years it may have been on.

Thanks for the input.

Mike

shelbymann1970

Quote from: 68blk500c on July 14, 2021, 09:59:08 AM
Tilt column example--yes.

Interesting comment about the possibility of being a later (71-73) item.  I am unfamiliar with details on those cars/parts.

Thanks for delving back into your past experiences on this.  Sure sounds like it isn't a factory piece.  I will have to spend some more time digging through MPC pages and reference material to see if it is even there.  I have a NOS (service) tilt switch, as well as a lever, and neither have a sleeve included.

Other feedback is appreciated.  Thanks,
Don
In 1980 I went to the Ford dealer and bought a tilt switch. I think I paid a lot for it. Installed it but it was generic so had to use the right wires . Old bad switch didn't have it nor did the new tilt blinker switch. That switch is the one in my 1969 column right now in my attic and I think I still have the original switch but know I have the box for sure. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

GOAT12

Krelboyne

GOAT12

Another quandary, noting the year and Ford part number verses the 68 cars that the bushing has been observed on.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: GOAT12 on July 14, 2021, 05:59:45 PM
Another quandary, noting the year and Ford part number verses the 68 cars that the bushing has been observed on.
Not really much of quandary given the 1970 application shown in the manual.  Just because it is seen on a given car doesn't mean it is original to that car. The most logical explanation given the facts (not seen on other 68 cars,shows up as later application part ) it was replaced some time in the past.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

mr68shelby

Thanks to all! That saves me having to make one for my car!

Mike