News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

'66 GT350 Motor Mounts?

Started by JD, July 10, 2021, 10:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD

Did a search here and on the Concours Mustang website but need better info and images, please.  I'm not very knowledgeable on '66 Shelby's and the owners' are afraid of getting eatin' alive on this forum.

Have two '66 GT350's that are asking about "correct" motor mounts. They were both made at San Jose in April of '66, one is a Hertz car in the 1800 Vin range (early April) the second, not a Hertz, in the 2000 Vin range (late April).

Would the auto and 4-spd use the same motor mounts?

Seems there was a change over from HiPo to LoPo motor mounts for all earlier in the '66 production - yes or no?

Can someone post correct images so we can verify if what they have is correct ?

Thanks for any help.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Rocket

I just have regular Mustang motor mounts on 6S550. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

s2ms

JD,

You are correct, Ford switched to the newer style motor mounts for all 66 small blocks on 11/1/65, both those cars would originally have the new mounts. Same mounts for AT and MT. Don't have a photo handy of originals but the new mounts have all steel parts, no cast pieces.

Dave
Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JD on July 10, 2021, 10:37:21 AM
Did a search here and on the Concours Mustang website but need better info and images, please.  I'm not very knowledgeable on '66 Shelby's and the owners' are afraid of getting eatin' alive on this forum.

Have two '66 GT350's that are asking about "correct" motor mounts. They were both made at San Jose in April of '66, one is a Hertz car in the 1800 Vin range (early April) the second, not a Hertz, in the 2000 Vin range (late April).

Seems there was a change over from HiPo to LoPo motor mounts for all earlier in the '66 production - yes or no?

Can someone post correct images so we can verify if what they have is correct ?

Thanks for any help.
Yes the 4 spd and auto motor mounts are the same . Yes a car built in that time frame and vin range would most definitely have the generic Mustang v8 moutor mount. The motor mount style changeover was much earlier. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

kingchief

Photos of both styles would be very handy!

Steve
SFM 6S406

J_Speegle

Sorry you didn't find what you needed over on CMF The style of motor mount is listed in the 66 San Jose Running Change thread and shows that the change has been found  between 6R130000 and 6R140000 cars.-

Quote from: JD on July 10, 2021, 10:37:21 AM

Yes.

Quote from: JD on July 10, 2021, 10:37:21 AMCan someone post correct images so we can verify if what they have is correct ?

Should provide you with the general design. Engineering numbers are cast in the ends so they are very visible once installed on the car. Understand that in judging this may not be important but the mounts from other periods can have other designed features and restoring isn't always about some one's judging. Not like they would deduct for having the correct numbers :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

Quote from: kingchief on July 10, 2021, 04:19:26 PM
Photos of both styles would be very handy!

65-early 66 289 Motor mount examples

Upper left - K code (happens to be a convertible K code example)
Lower right - non-K code 289 example

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

JD

Thanks all!

I'll pass this info along and share the link ;-)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

gt350hr

6S477 is a 130 series and has HiPo mounts. "I" have seen them on SAI vins in the 800s too. Never above 1,000 unless "owner changed" which "was" common , "in the day". I converted several for friends.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.