News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Cleaning the intake manifold and possibly Shelby plate

Started by bullitt1939, July 12, 2021, 10:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullitt1939

I have the carbs off so what's the best thing to clean/polish the intake manifold. Secondly is there anything I can clean the plate with under the hood or just leave it alone. This looks to be the original plate. I can attach an older pic but it has both rev-its now only close up I have of it. I think the air cleaner is made of same material as intake but I never really cleaned or polished it either Roth that just dusting it off more less.

rmarble57

Vapor Honing on the aluminum intake and associated parts.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: bullitt1939 on July 12, 2021, 10:55:35 PM
I have the carbs off so what's the best thing to clean/polish the intake manifold. Secondly is there anything I can clean the plate with under the hood or just leave it alone. This looks to be the original plate. I can attach an older pic but it has both rev-its now only close up I have of it. I think the air cleaner is made of same material as intake but I never really cleaned or polished it either Roth that just dusting it off more less.
Leave the VIN plate alone. If you clean it with anything use pledge or any non abrasive/caustic cleaner. The intake and air cleaner on a GT500 are made in two different aluminum processes. The intake is aluminum sand cast and the air cleaner base and lid are injected molded diecast aluminum . Nether the intake or the air cleaner lid /base were polished from the factory. If the intake is on the car then you have to be careful with the cleaning products as the best ones to use are bad if they get on your paint. Cover all the painted surfaces to be on the safe side . The short story is use lacquer cleaner on a rag to get oil and grime off . You can also use carburetor cleaner the same way. You can also use aluminum wheel cleaner and rinse with water. Be careful if rinsing with water that you do  not get any water in carbs or distributor. Be prepared for tedious work if doing a good job. Some suggestions of mine .Others may have different.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby