Author Topic: Paint line for brake scoops  (Read 2616 times)

Dunerider777

• View Profile
Paint line for brake scoops
« on: July 13, 2021, 12:40:36 AM »
I have a 66 gt350h blue and gold. I was told that the body side inside of the brake scoop is supposed to be painted black and not body color. I am tryoing to find out where the black paint should start.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: Paint line for brake scoops
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 12:50:24 AM »
At the door opening edge

Sure thought I had posted pictures of that and other details. Didn't come up in the search but may have used the wrong combination of words

Know I've got them posted over on CMF. Maybe tomorrow I can repost some again here
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Dunerider777

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 02:26:37 PM »
That would be a great help if you could re-post again. I have also tried to find on CMF but have not had any luck. I must not be using the right search words. Thank you

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 06:00:09 PM »
That would be a great help if you could re-post again. I have also tried to find on CMF but have not had any luck. I must not be using the right search words. Thank you

Did you try the search feature. What I got back in the returns using "scoop black out". Some of the pictures were also posted in the individual car picture sets in the Unrestored Picture section if your a mamber

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4260.msg121165#msg121165

There is another thread on the running change related to the side scoops as far as ducting details also

A few of the pictures from the above thread reposted here

Early real 66 :)

From a carry over. No reason to tape and paint all the way out to the edge I guess.

Sort of mid production year.

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

6S1568

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 09:39:01 AM »
Jeff, Looking at your photo number three, of the red car's side scoop, makes me ask if only the front bottom pop rivet attaching the scoop had a washer placed over it to help secure it, or did others rivets have washers too? Thanks, Denny

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 01:40:37 PM »
Jeff, Looking at your photo number three, of the red car's side scoop, makes me ask if only the front bottom pop rivet attaching the scoop had a washer placed over it to help secure it, or did others rivets have washers too? Thanks, Denny

We looked at this a few years ago and over a hundred examples and consistently it was on the first (top and bottom) rivets that typically received the washer. Angle of the pictures I posted this time only allow a view of the bottom one

This, the rivet washers top and bottom,  is likely due to the thought that the front edge of the scoop would likely see more contact from clumsy passengers/drivers or pressure than the rest plus the further back you go the bigger pain in the butt they are to get on the end of the rivet before you expand/lock it in place

6S1568

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 04:12:47 PM »
Jeff, thank you for the clarification. Denny

6S1568

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 02:27:33 PM »
Hi Fred, I'll be happy to take you up on your offer to see photos of the original S.A. work on the side scoops. Please post photos, or just PM me. Thanks, Denny

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 02:50:47 PM »
Hello- if someone is interested  in additional scoop data for reference? I'm about to start the restoration on my car, 2227 in a few weeks. My side scoops have never been off and it has more than 2 washers on the first 2 rivets (upper and lower). If someone see value in a few photos of the original paint lines and\or rivet washer locations......I will be happy to post. Very excited about the tear down and following restoration. Been waiting for 2.5 years! Just had other car projects i needed to finish first. Thanks Fred

Would be interesting is seeing the same just make sure you label the pictures so someone does not confuse the details with earlier cars and what was done during different time periods.  As for the "more than 2 washers on the first 2 rivets" I'm only finding pictures of what appears to be rivets with a single washer as shown in the pictures listed as  6S2227

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=5004.msg43075#msg43075

rraceme

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 03:16:17 PM »
Thank you Mr. Speegle for keeping me honest. I will take additional pictures of both scoops and all rivets which have washers. I've not looked in my cars side scoops in over a year. I was just going by memory, at 57 , not as good when younger. It might just have the single washer as described earlier but I do THINK there are more than a single washer, on one of the scoops,  time will soon tell. I'm at work right now and rather taking a lunch today- went to the SAAC forum for fun reading when I made that post. If it turns out I'm not accurate with my first post, no malice intended! I was just posting quickly because my lunch was coming to an end.  I do appreciate this forum! Fred

« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 03:24:36 PM by rraceme »
SFM 6S2227

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 04:02:52 PM »
No problem- and an easy mistake if you've not looked at the detail for a while. Looking up cars and details is pretty easy with my system so was first idea was to look for others built around the same time and I found pictures of your car which lead to a search of where the pictures came from.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2021, 11:45:17 AM »
OK, was there any type of sealant used between the back lip of the scoop and the outside of the body?

If so was it strip caulk?
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

OldGuy

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2021, 01:00:35 PM »
Hello- if someone is interested  in additional scoop data for reference? I'm about to start the restoration on my car, 2227 in a few weeks. My side scoops have never been off and it has more than 2 washers on the first 2 rivets (upper and lower). If someone sees value in a few photos of the original paint lines and\or rivet washer locations......I will be happy to post. Very excited about the tear down and following restoration. Been waiting for 2.5 years! Just had other car projects i needed to finish first. Thanks Fred

I would bet that the folks that attached your scoops ran out of the proper length pop rivets and just substituted longer rivets OR the "proper" length rivets were somehow too short for the combined thicknesses and the next size of standard length were a bit too long for the combined thicknesses. I hope that isn't too confusing.

Frank

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2021, 02:30:47 PM »
OK, was there any type of sealant used between the back lip of the scoop and the outside of the body?

Black strip caulking looks like what was originally used. Easy to manipulate, stays where you position it (likely on the scoop to start) and wasn't mess like other products and may of the strip caulking you find today

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2021, 03:31:11 PM »

Black strip caulking looks like what was originally used. Easy to manipulate, stays where you position it (likely on the scoop to start) and wasn't mess like other products and may of the strip caulking you find today

^^^ Thanks Jeff!!
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0