News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 GT500 shocks

Started by Rex, July 13, 2021, 04:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex

I am sure this has been covered here before but I can't seem to find the info. I want new shocks for my GT500 so what are my options for purchasing all four shocks?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Rex on July 13, 2021, 04:11:59 PM
I am sure this has been covered here before but I can't seem to find the info. I want new shocks for my GT500 so what are my options for purchasing all four shocks?
Yes there have been several different threads on the subject recently. If you want original then options are few because they are very rare. The best reproductions that look correct are 1500-1700 for a set of 4 and about a 6 month wait. After that your other options are ether incorrect but good Koni or other aftermarket  replacements for Mustang.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Rex

I see Branda has the Konis but you have to repaint them orange?

J_Speegle

Quote from: Rex on July 13, 2021, 09:57:44 PM
I see Branda has the Konis but you have to repaint them orange?

They are not going to look like original shocks so you can choose to paint them to look like period aftermarket shocks or any color you wish like black so they don't stand out as much

Just depends on your planned usage for the car
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Rex

What color should they be?

J_Speegle

Quote from: Rex on July 14, 2021, 03:29:02 PM
What color should they be?

Semi-gloss black with a Lavender/pale lighter purple paint mark if your going that far
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Rex

So, Konis and paint the black?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Rex on July 14, 2021, 04:54:59 PM
So, Konis and paint the black?
Painting the shocks black indicates that your intention is you want a original look.With that said I wouldn't waste the money on the Koni's. The head of the front shocks are substantially larger then stock and a dead giveaway under the hood. If a dedicated track car it would be different but for the purposes of a original look they are not the way to go. You are better off going for a less expensive generic type and used the saved money for other parts you will no doubt need to improve the original look.Just make sure that the head of the front shock you choose does not have the contoured head that squeezes down in the middle like many older KYB.  That odd design is also a non original giveaway. With those basic parameters covered also paint them black.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby