Author Topic: Valuable Information for 65-70 Shelby's  (Read 4004 times)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Valuable Information for 65-70 Shelby's
« on: July 15, 2021, 03:34:00 PM »
A issue that I have posted about before but bears repeating because I get people asking me all of the time about different aspects of the cars and what parts go where. I am glad to help but there are many that don't ask ,afraid to ask ,don't know who to ask etc.  Many of the basic questions in regards to non Shelby unique aspects of the cars can be answered without waiting by using the Osborn made copies of the Ford assemblyline manuals for a given year . Most vendors carry them. Here is a example of one from NPD. https://www.npdlink.com/product/chassis-assembly-manual-65-mustang/138098?  .  The manual is part of a set for different aspects of the car like electrical, body etc. You should get them all.
 The illustrations in the different assemblyline manuals will answer about 80% of all questions about placement of parts on the car . You will be glad you invested in them .   They also tell what fastener goes where and the finish on the fastener. The fastener are marked with a number. You will need the AMK guide to fastener to decipher the numbers.  https://www.npdlink.com/product/book-amk-guide-to-ford-fastenrs/138107  .
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 03:51:24 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Valuable Information for 65-70 Shelby's
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 03:39:49 PM »
^^^ SO TRUE, don't cheap out and only get one or two - get the whole set.

(Bob, seems auto-correct has struck again - "fashioner" 4 times  - "Gaines Corrected" ;-).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 10:43:13 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 03:57:20 PM »
Agree they can be a great help but I believe a mentioned that the details do not always reflect how the cars were assembled or built for the whole year and in some cases at all given different plants and production periods. They are a great place to start but like any resource they bring with them some risk of relying on them solely

Just my experience with the manuals, subject and cars restored using only the assembly manuals as a guide
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 06:08:18 PM »
I found the Osborne manuals extremely helpful for restoration and maintenance work.  To make shop work easier, I had a printer enlarge each page to 11x17 inch paper and put them in a large spiral folder.  Two sets.  One had laminated pages for use in the shop around lots of greasy fingers.  Expensive, but worth it. 8)

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 07:03:28 PM »
^^^ SO TRUE, don't cheap out and only get one or two - get the whole set.

(Bob, seems auto-correct has struck again - "fashioner" 4 times).

+1
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

csheff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 08:28:51 PM »
So for NPD this would be all u need for 67?
ASSEMBLY MANUAL, 1967, COMPLETE  Item # L-36D  $58.50

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 08:32:44 PM »
+1, the assembly manuals, coupled with the AMK guide can answer a lot of questions about bolt types.  Not so much with head markings and things like star washer vs. disc washer bolts, but that's where the forums are helpful in answering some of the finer details.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 09:38:22 PM »
+1, the assembly manuals, coupled with the AMK guide can answer a lot of questions about bolt types.  Not so much with head markings and things like star washer vs. disc washer bolts, but that's where the forums are helpful in answering some of the finer details.

Well said and accurate!
Nothing beats a classic!

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 09:52:39 PM »
I found the Osborne manuals extremely helpful for restoration and maintenance work.  To make shop work easier, I had a printer enlarge each page to 11x17 inch paper and put them in a large spiral folder.  Two sets.  One had laminated pages for use in the shop around lots of greasy fingers.  Expensive, but worth it. 8)
On the pages where I really want the detail I snap a pic with my phone (or a camera). My photos are auto-backed up so I go to the shop computer, view the backup and enlarge as needed.
If I need a certain area blown up for use on the other end of the shop I print that area. 
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 10:25:39 PM »
So for NPD this would be all u need for 67?
ASSEMBLY MANUAL, 1967, COMPLETE  Item # L-36D  $58.50
I am only familiar with the individual hard copy manuals . I would call and ask if that is the same in a condensed form.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

68blk500c

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2021, 09:17:12 AM »
The fastener finish legend can also be found at the very back of the 1967 engine manual; single page and easy to copy.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2021, 11:16:01 AM »
A issue that I have posted about before but bears repeating because I get people asking me all of the time about different aspects of the cars and what parts go where. I am glad to help but there are many that don't ask ,afraid to ask ,don't know who to ask etc.  Many of the basic questions in regards to non Shelby unique aspects of the cars can be answered without waiting by using the Osborn made copies of the Ford assemblyline manuals for a given year . Most vendors carry them. Here is a example of one from NPD. https://www.npdlink.com/product/chassis-assembly-manual-65-mustang/138098?  .  The manual is part of a set for different aspects of the car like electrical, body etc. You should get them all.
 The illustrations in the different assemblyline manuals will answer about 80% of all questions about placement of parts on the car . You will be glad you invested in them .   They also tell what fastener goes where and the finish on the fastener. The fastener are marked with a number. You will need the AMK guide to fastener to decipher the numbers.  https://www.npdlink.com/product/book-amk-guide-to-ford-fastenrs/138107  .
Thanks for starting this topic Bob. Spot on.  Jeff also brought up the fact that sometimes the manuals are not how the car was assembled. My problem with the manuals are the 1969 there is no interior manual. Seems many years are missing an edition. Sometimes those pages can be found in the illustrated facts(?) white book that has misc stuff from 65-73 Mustangs(cannot find a link to the exact book). THe Osborn 69 manuals do not have the front bumper illustrations in the Body book(reg Mustang). While not complete they are still a wealth of information and some of mine are in pieces now. Some pages I have blown up on 11x17 when I was doing my 68. Max's fastener book has been a God send when I did my vert 20 years ago. Variances do happen but these books are a must have. I'm glad I got the large Ford 1969 wiring diagram book from Ford. I don't need the hard to read and blow up Osborn wiring manual anymore.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2021, 09:46:48 PM »
Great tip.  I have referred to the Body, Electrical, and Interior manuals during the reassembly of 6S1134.  They are invaluable, especially since my memory has taken a blow with age.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2021, 03:18:59 AM »
In addition to the Osborn guides, I bought one of these;

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2021, 05:02:29 AM »
On the pages where I really want the detail I snap a pic with my phone (or a camera). My photos are auto-backed up so I go to the shop computer, view the backup and enlarge as needed.
If I need a certain area blown up for use on the other end of the shop I print that area.

I have a similar setup. I have a 50in TV mounted on the wall above the workbench about 10ft from my 2 post lift that is hooked up to my computer so anything I can get on it goes to the TV. If I need anything bigger I could go to the attached Mancave and project it to the 8ft screen and with my eyes going I may have to someday.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.