Author Topic: 1968 GT500 Spark Plug Wires Installation  (Read 1579 times)

n4437t

• View Profile
1968 GT500 Spark Plug Wires Installation
« on: July 18, 2021, 06:03:02 PM »
I give up trying to figure out a way to get the spark plug wires back on the spark plugs without damaging them. Does anyone know how?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 1968 GT500 Spark Plug Wires Installation
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 07:51:04 PM »
I give up trying to figure out a way to get the spark plug wires back on the spark plugs without damaging them. Does anyone know how?
Could you be more specific as putting them on without damaging is not typically a problem. You push them on until you feel them  snap over the spark terminal. Taking them off can sometimes be a problem without damaging.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 10:43:22 AM »
     If your having difficulty with the process of the boot slipping over the spark plug, spritz a little WD40 in the terminal boot and it will slip on easier, this also allowing one to better feel the terminal 'click' in place.     ;)

Scott.

KR500

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 12:40:33 PM »
     If your having difficulty with the process of the boot slipping over the spark plug, spritz a little WD40 in the terminal boot and it will slip on easier, this also allowing one to better feel the terminal 'click' in place.     ;)

Scott.
Actually you should use a silicone dielectric grease such as Motorcraft XG-3-A or equivalent.
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 03:16:16 PM »

1 have lots of patience
2 put lots of silicone dielectric grease on the ends of the wires
3 find someone with strong small hands

Good luck
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 05:22:18 PM »
Actually you should use a silicone dielectric grease such as Motorcraft XG-3-A or equivalent.

Yeah, but not everyone just happens to have such as frequently laying about as WD40 which will provide for the easing of spark plug boot and terminal installation just fine.      ;)

Now, if this were for ones' off-road vehicle which you were planning to submerge underwater, well............I probably would work a little harder at protecting and sealing things up better!      :)

Scott.

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 08:09:49 PM »
I use a set of 12" needle nose pliers to install plug wires on FE's in shock tower cars like yours. They can be handy during removal too. I use DC4 dielectric grease, it makes the boots not stick to the plug when you need to remove them a few years later.

https://www.amazon.com/Dow-Corning-Electrical-Insulating-Compound/dp/B001VXSAI4

I have a tube of clear, not sure if clear is still available?
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock