Author Topic: 65 GT350 on YouTube  (Read 3009 times)

A-Snake

• View Profile

A-Snake

• View Profile
Re: 65 GT350 on YouTube
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 10:20:37 PM »
I've never noticed gloss black exhaust pipes and black clamps before.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 10:49:09 PM by A-Snake »

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 10:59:10 PM »
The Shelby VIN is blocked in the video but the license plate says 5S156 (which is not blocked).
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 11:07:25 PM »
I've never noticed black exhaust pipes before.
Not typically all black. Given the obvious attempt to try and duplicate original historically correct details the black painted exhaust clamps seen in the underside shots were done by someone who didn't know any better. It is a very nicely done car and from the attempt with my judges cap on I would estimate the car would garner a lower silver in Div II based on what I saw holding it back in the video. Of course that does not take into account things that would be discovered not seen in the video that would be seen in person. Don't take that the wrong way because a lower silver in SAAC DIV II is still heads and shoulders above the vast majority of restored 65 GT350's still out there. Given the good originality effort done to the restoration the car deserves IMO to have someone who knows the details better to fix the boo boo's. Although not a perfect historically correct restored car for all practical purposes represented very well in the video.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 11:11:21 PM »
Mr. Gaines is the high priest of the Shelby world.  When he speaks, you can be damned sure I listen.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 11:41:30 PM »
Mr. Gaines is the high priest of the Shelby world.  When he speaks, you can be damned sure I listen.
Thank you for the compliment but fortunately there are more of us still out there.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 11:50:27 PM »
Thank you for the compliment but fortunately there are more of us still out there.
Yes, the prior owner of 843 being another.  Just a different church location.  Same Shelby religion.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 12:53:47 AM »
Nice video to help someone uneducated about the cars but only as a starting point.  We've covered other steps that would follow if you were seriously considering a purchase. Was surprised of at least one mistake in the presentation but none of us are prefect all the time.

Thanks for posting
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 02:19:05 AM »

Definitely a nice car. I can understand 'over-restoring' the exhaust piping by applying a finish. The unprotected original bare tubes were rough/ rust orange within a year and just about gone in 9 yrs on my socal car. That third member needed some attention-to-detail and the engine oil cap makes you wonder.
Almost looks like the underhood 5/16" body bolts are zinc phosphate (light) as opposed to manganese phosphate (dark). Maybe, maybe not.
Just mentioning these sub-points shows how nice that car is! Love the wheels!!

chris NOS

• SAAC Member
  • 5S241 actual owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 03:35:56 PM »
Cool vidéo and nice car !

csx289

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2021, 06:07:41 PM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments on this Hagerty Buyer's Guide. For a little background I was "elected" to host it when nobody else put their hand up. As for the car I certainly didn't present it as the best in the world nor, and most importantly, is it an ad or a "for sale" video for the car. We had no luck finding another '65 GT350 to use so the easiest path was to use my car, #156. Since it is my car, and I restored it to drive, yes it has XWX tires, vintage H4 headlights, and yes, I painted the exhaust pipes and two muffler clamps on each side black as I personally don't like the way naked pipes and glass packs/ clamps look from the side profile. Plus, since I'll drive it, I didn't want them to look discolored and/or rusty. On my '66 I have a nice, shiny Fuller system but it tucks up in there as Ford intended so it doesn't look like a muffler shop screw up like a '65 exhaust ;) I am fairly certain that the same could be true for any of our cars that we drive, many have modern batteries or radial tires or Napa fuel pumps that kind of stuff. As far as I'm concerned personal preference trumps any judging manual especially if you own the car lol.

And yes, nobody is perfect, but the intent was to show people the big things to look for and give an 8 minute primer to hopefully save somebody else from getting fleeced on a '65 out in the wild. If it makes one person contact Howard to verify numbers or know what a big deal original metal and parts can be then I'm happy. Why? Because many times I've been asked to look at '65s for people, and some really pretty highly pretty decorated ones judged and even restored by the high priests of the hobby, with "boo boos" that go far beyond a painted exhaust. Things like Dearborn body shells (ahem) and doctored up engine casting numbers/ dates/ VINs, bogus parts, you name it. Not to mention countless shiny auction cars with glowing catalog copy that doesn't even hint at not so good history readily accessible in the SAAC Registry if the bidders would just look or contact Howard etc.

But again, thanks for all of the comments and I hope I didn't screw things up too badly. Rest assured I won't be heading to Hollywood for casting calls anytime soon.

All the best,

Colin

sfm5

• SAAC Member
  • Great White North
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 07:57:19 PM »
Nice job Colin! Funny to read the Youtube comments below the video. So many "experts" out there criticizing the video and boldly stating things that are completely false.  ::)
65 GT350

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2021, 06:05:22 AM »

Enjoyed the video, and believe me the Shelby in question is in far better shape in person than can be presented in a short video. Having just seen this car at Road America I can attest that Colin's original 39K mile "driver" is beautiful.
 8)

~ Steven

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2021, 08:03:14 AM »
Yeah great video, I love the line “and when people ask you is it real?
You can look at them and say IT SURE AS HELL IS!”

6S373
6S1276

csx289

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2021, 12:55:02 PM »
Thanks again guys- nice to hide out here and get a break from the "real housewives of youtube" lol.

And Steven great to see you at RA and also watch you drive the wheels off of my old blue '66 race car!