News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

KR dipstick tube

Started by gt350bp, July 19, 2021, 09:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350bp

Looking for help with a few good photos of the proper KR dipstick tube and attachment at the head with the correct spacer for power steering. Is the NPD "exact reproduction" dipstick tube a quality part? Not sure I have the correct tube, as it appears to me that the offset from the end that goes into the block and the "J" mounting bracket does not have enough offset or the bracket is not indexed correctly on the dipstick tube? Eyeballing the offset looks like it would need to be about 2"

Does the dipstick tube bracket mount to the first exhaust manifold bolt or to the head at the power steering mounting bolt? I can see the tube working if it mounts to the exhaust manifold bolt in lieu of behind the power steering spacer?

What is the best way to install a new dipstick tube into the block with the engine in the car? Any tips or suggestions are appreciated. Should the tube bottom out on the flange or how do you know when it is seated at the correct depth so the dipstick registers correctly?

Thanks for the help as always!

Don
gt350bp   

shelbydoug

I can't speak for the NPD part but the locating factor is where the mounting flange attaches to the stud on the exhaust manifold.

If you are seating the tube all the way to the flaring on the bottom, then you are in too deep.

On my car the alternator spacer has no effect on the tube. The spacer is there to fill the void left by the lack of the a/c mounting pedestal. I'm a non-a/c car.

I do remember (using an original Ford Service part tube) that I didn't like the location of the dipstick handle and bent the mounting flange out a little.

You need to use some silicone on where the tube slips through the block.

I personally don't think that you need to go crazy with details down there simply because you can't see a lot of them once installed.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350bp

Doug,

Thanks for the clarification.

I originally thought the tube attached at the head not the manifold. I have headers, so I assume the alignment would be at the first header bolt at the very front? I seated the tube so it aligns with the front bolt and it seems to fit well?

Will silicone the inlet as suggested, as my car is driven, so a little bit of silicone is not an issue.

Thank you.

Don
gt350bp

gt350bp

Got it done and it looks OK I guess. The proximity of the dipstick and power steering dipstick is close. Do I have them oriented in the correct directions?

Thank you.

Don
gt350bp

Royce Peterson

The header flange is only 1/4". The manifold is closer to 5/8". You could use some sort of tubular spacer - and a longer bolt - to get more clearance between the two dipsticks.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

gt350bp

There is about 3/8" clearance of the dipstick tube to the power steering neck when aligning the dipstick tube mounting tab with first header bolt. Spacer will be about 1/4" to 3/8". The good thing is that I did the oil change and the dipstick full mark looks to be fairly close. I am using a deep sump Milodon 7 qt. pan with factory oil cooler. Gotta touch-up the bottom of the dipstick tube and silicone to the block and will be ready to go!

Don
gt350bp

shelbydoug

I had anxiety about the tube also but it is par for the course with a vintage Ford FE.

Here's part of my anxiety. I couldn't get the oil level right with the engine on the stand. No one could explain it either.

Turns out that the issue was simple. What? It was on the stand and the engine was slightly tilted forward.
In the car, the engine tilts backwards at 17 degrees which is where the dipstick is calibrated too.

Simple right? Grrrr! You need to relax and have a beer.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350bp

Doug,

Everything is good! Got everything back together, fired it up and no leaks. Oil pressure about 50 psi @ 2,000 rpm and shut it down when the Florida daily rain hit the area. Thanks for the help. To the fridge for a cold one.

Don
gt350bp