Author Topic: Battery cover for 67  (Read 3498 times)

csheff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Battery cover for 67
« on: July 20, 2021, 11:22:32 AM »
If getting a Battery cover for your 67 GT-500, would this be the one to get over the one with the Red caps?
Have to go this route as my antique battery died on me.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Battery cover for 67
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 11:30:05 AM »
If getting a Battery cover for your 67 GT-500, would this be the one to get over the one with the Red caps?
Have to go this route as my antique battery died on me.
It depends on if your car has the heavy duty battery option or not. The Marti report will indicate if it has that option . AC equipped automatically triggered the option.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

csheff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 11:58:22 AM »
Thanks Bob,
Marti shows Heavy duty Batt but it doesn't show on Shelby American invoice. So what would I go by?

GT350DAVE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 12:07:21 PM »
Red caps for your car. It is on the car's SVO sheets.
Dave
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 07:31:02 PM by GT350DAVE »
Support the SAAC Registry

Shelbypat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 06:45:49 PM »
If you have a 27 and want to put the line further, here is an idea. I did it on my 69 during the covid19 confinement. If interested, I will take the heat shield off and take more pic of how I have attach the poles

Patrick

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 08:18:51 PM »
Heres another option

This is a new Motorcraft group 27, I found the caps and decals online for $24

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 10:24:14 PM »
Thanks Bob,
Marti shows Heavy duty Batt but it doesn't show on Shelby American invoice. So what would I go by?
Red caps for your car. It is on the car's SVO sheets.
Dave
+1 .Marti report and SVO sheet indicate are more more in depth then the typical invoice is why you you don't see it there most likely.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 07:22:03 AM »
Shelbypat thats a good idea making that old dead repo autolite 27f battery a battery that just keeps on given especially when the battery heat shield hides the cutaway area. How long did it take u to do the cutout?

Shelbypat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 09:35:26 AM »
2 hours for the cut out and an other 2 hours to fit the other battery.
Patrick
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 05:36:17 PM by Shelbypat »

csheff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 10:04:03 AM »
So heavy duty batteries have the red caps? And aren't they group 24 batteries as well for 67?

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 10:48:15 AM »
So heavy duty batteries have the red caps? And aren't they group 24 batteries as well for 67?

Yes.  The 22's normally are the ones that have yellow caps.  I'm not sure what that reproduction topper with yellow caps is supposed to be for, although all the parts vendors have no problem advertising it as correct for 65-67.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 11:04:57 AM »

Yes.  The 22's normally are the ones that have yellow caps.  I'm not sure what that reproduction topper with yellow caps is supposed to be for, although all the parts vendors have no problem advertising it as correct for 65-67.
22F are only used on base GT 350’s. A GT 500 car without the heavy duty battery option got a 24 f with yellow caps . The cap color indicated the lower capacity of the battery. The capacity was also in raised letters on the side of the case but that is very difficult if not impossible to see once in a car. There is no 22f topper being made that I am aware of

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 11:23:41 AM »
22F are only used on base GT 350’s. A GT 500 car without the heavy duty battery option got a 24 f with yellow caps . The cap color indicated the lower capacity of the battery. The capacity was also in raised letters on the side of the case but that is very difficult if not impossible to see once in a car. There is no 22f topper being made that I am aware of

Got it, so '67 GT500 w/out a heavy duty battery option.  What are the production numbers for those cars?
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 12:10:47 PM »

According to my Marti Report, my GT-350, a base model, came with a heavy duty battery.  Could it be that later in production putting one size battery was just easier than specifying two different batteries?
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2021, 12:26:50 PM »

Got it, so '67 GT500 w/out a heavy duty battery option.  What are the production numbers for those cars?
I also believe based on factory documentation and survivor observation that when a heavy duty battery option was activated that it also triggered the change to a higher amp alternator (42 orange stamp -55 red stamp ) and a different regulator (C5AF silver stamp to C5TF yellow stamp) . You would have to ask Dave Mathews for production numbers info. I do know that a lot more of the 67 GT 500's anyway had the heavy duty battery option added for no apparent reason in later production. My suspicion is that the powers to be realized into production that a hot big block can take a lot of power to crank over and decided it made more sense to add the option instead of waiting for a customer compliant/warranty issue.  This line of thinking is more likely when taking into consideration the progression of change in later year Mustang big block batteries. The higher capacity group 24 red capped marked battery became standard on all big block Mustangs/Shelby's in 68 and into a even higher capacity group 27 battery for 69/70.