News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Rare intake you don't see often for sale.

Started by Bob Gaines, July 20, 2021, 11:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Karguy

I've never seen one of those before, very cool. Does anyone know what the application was? Just an aftermarket accessory item? HM racing part?
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

Dan Case

Quote from: Karguy on July 20, 2021, 11:38:53 PM
I've never seen one of those before, very cool. Does anyone know what the application was? Just an aftermarket accessory item? HM racing part?

Regular production option for 1963 Cobras with HP260 engine. Only a few ordered. Carried over into HP289 powered Cobras 1963-64. The only aluminum COBRA 4V model until fall 1964. Could be ordered into the CSX24xx chassis range.

The problem is they were made for 260 engines in terms of 1962 ideas of what a high performance intake was. The passages and ports were way too small for even a mild 289 engine. 

My notes indicate that this is the sixth (6th) one I have ever seen.  I came across the first example in 1986 and bought it. They were still available as an over the counter accessory in mid 1965. I have not seen one bolted to an engine yet.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

gt350hr

Dan's research is excellent as usual. This manifold was a virtual copy of an iron 4 barrel stock intake. As Dan knows it was also released by Holman Moody with their "bird" logo and also with the Tiger logo , plus others were produced with the logo removed altogether. The manifold and Autolite 4100 or Holley 1850 were good for about 18HP , virtually the same as the later iron intakes. This obviously contributed to the poor sales. In the late 80's Blue Thunder purchased the molds and tooling to repop them. There have been some minor improvements. The difference is very obvious.
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

George Schalk

I spotted the auction for this particular COBRA intake when it first posted and ended up buying it.  It's certainly a rare piece and thought it would be a neat display item in my car barn.  It's in extremely nice condition and was likely not on an engine very long.  I'll clean it up and display it with an early HiPo carb and air cleaner installed on it.  Just a cool odd piece of Shelby American history.

George Schalk

Bob Gaines

Quote from: George Schalk on July 22, 2021, 05:35:40 PM
I spotted the auction for this particular COBRA intake when it first posted and ended up buying it.  It's certainly a rare piece and thought it would be a neat display item in my car barn.  It's in extremely nice condition and was likely not on an engine very long.  I'll clean it up and display it with an early HiPo carb and air cleaner installed on it.  Just a cool odd piece of Shelby American history.

George Schalk
Definitely a conversation starter .Congratulations on being quick on the draw.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Dan Case

The Cobra new car option included the intake, a particular Holley brand carburetor and ancillaries.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Rodster-500

Quote from: Dan Case on July 21, 2021, 07:10:51 AM
Quote from: Karguy on July 20, 2021, 11:38:53 PM

Regular production option for 1963 Cobras with HP260 engine. Only a few ordered. Carried over into HP289 powered Cobras 1963-64. The only aluminum COBRA 4V model until fall 1964. Could be ordered into the CSX24xx chassis range.

The problem is they were made for 260 engines in terms of 1962 ideas of what a high performance intake was. The passages and ports were way too small for even a mild 289 engine. 

My notes indicate that this is the sixth (6th) one I have ever seen.  I came across the first example in 1986 and bought it. They were still available as an over the counter accessory in mid 1965. I have not seen one bolted to an engine yet.

Your wealth of knowledge is mind boggling.  8)