News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Battery cover for 67

Started by csheff, July 20, 2021, 11:22:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: greekz on July 21, 2021, 12:10:47 PM
22F are only used on base GT 350's. A GT 500 car without the heavy duty battery option got a 24 f with yellow caps . The cap color indicated the lower capacity of the battery. The capacity was also in raised letters on the side of the case but that is very difficult if not impossible to see once in a car. There is no 22f topper being made that I am aware of

According to my Marti Report, my GT-350, a base model, came with a heavy duty battery.  Could it be that later in production putting one size battery was just easier than specifying two different batteries?
It is hard to say given the evolution of the cars in 68 and 69/70. Although all 68 GT350's as far as I know got the group 24 heavy duty battery the 69/70 GT350 which ( had a larger 351 engine)  had a group 22 ,group 24  and even a GT350 group 27 battery. The 69/70 group 22 battery would seem to go against the "just easier then specify two different batteries theory". I am not saying that isn't the case just that it seems less likely given the usage in 69/70 in the same way as done in 67.  It is hard not to take the big picture into account when discussing these theories.     
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

greekz

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 21, 2021, 12:37:32 PM
22F are only used on base GT 350's. A GT 500 car without the heavy duty battery option got a 24 f with yellow caps . The cap color indicated the lower capacity of the battery. The capacity was also in raised letters on the side of the case but that is very difficult if not impossible to see once in a car. There is no 22f topper being made that I am aware of

According to my Marti Report, my GT-350, a base model, came with a heavy duty battery.  Could it be that later in production putting one size battery was just easier than specifying two different batteries?
It is hard to say given the evolution of the cars in 68 and 69/70. Although all 68 GT350's as far as I know got the group 24 heavy duty battery the 69/70 GT350 which ( had a larger 351 engine)  had a group 22 ,group 24  and even a GT350 group 27 battery. The 69/70 group 22 battery would seem to go against the "just easier then specify two different batteries theory". I am not saying that isn't the case just that it seems less likely given the usage in 69/70 in the same way as done in 67.  It is hard not to take the big picture into account when discussing these theories.     

Basically then, if I am understanding correctly, almost any battery series is possible.  I suppose saying most cars (GT-350/GT500) in 1967 came with battery series X, based on their equipment and options would be the norm. However, sometimes other combinations of equipment and options, or lack of, would not necessarily dictate the  battery series that was installed.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Bob Gaines

Quote from: greekz on July 21, 2021, 12:57:12 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 21, 2021, 12:37:32 PM

Basically then, if I am understanding correctly, almost any battery series is possible.  I suppose saying most cars (GT-350/GT500) in 1967 came with battery series X, based on their equipment and options would be the norm. However, sometimes other combinations of equipment and options, or lack of, would not necessarily dictate the  battery series that was installed.
67 GT-350/GT500 came with battery series X, based on their equipment and options . The exception to that would be if the car had the heavy duty battery option. How the option was applied is still a unanswered question however the documentation is available on the Marti report or Dave Mathews to determine if a given car had what battery.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

IIRC - Thought there were some "notes" from meetings at Ford or SA that all '67 (Shelby's) would be getting 24F versions at some point and the 22F was not going to be installed... will have to look later, have to run now. 

Maybe someone else saw/has that too?

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0