Author Topic: 67 Autolite vs FoMoCo distibutors  (Read 1884 times)

GOAT12

• View Profile
67 Autolite vs FoMoCo distibutors
« on: July 22, 2021, 11:57:57 AM »
Does anyone know when the change from FoMoCo to Autolite distributors occurred. I have two FE distributors with the same ID, one a FoMoCo the other an Autolite, 1 month apart date code.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 67 Autolite vs FoMoCo distibutors
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 12:48:02 PM »
You are answering your own question, that being, somewhere in between those two dates.

There has never been a specific calendar date. It has also been an approximation.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

430dragpack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 05:43:34 PM »
To kind of go along with this, when did the coil stamp go from FoMoCo to Autolite?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 07:52:19 PM »
To kind of go along with this, when did the coil stamp go from FoMoCo to Autolite?

Lots of them out there have been restored or improved while still in original boxes :) There were two different dating styles used and I've got no idea of decoding the one style. Could guess but that would not be reliable IMHO. This second date style (all numbers) may represent a second supplier and it might have changed the logo at a different point in time. At least a possibility IMHO

Believe that the date of an original coil I think would be the guiding fact to the question and to that end the earliest original take off coil (FAC-12027-A) I have pictures of was a May 1966 AUTOLITE marked example. Have others dated after than date.

So it was made and in the system well before the start of the 67 production year
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 07:54:39 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 10:58:39 PM »
May of 1966 Autolite stamped coil. I have seen later Fomoco stamp coils too which makes me believe in two different mfg's.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

430dragpack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 11:28:27 PM »
Here is an NOS coil I looked at over the weekend at Bob P’s place.  It’s November ‘66 date caught my attention, thus the question about timeframe usage. Granted, it’s for the transistorized ignition system which could possibly make a difference since not as many were being used.