Author Topic: Clutch pedal height  (Read 1879 times)

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Clutch pedal height
« on: July 22, 2021, 03:49:43 PM »
Making final adjustments today and was wondering if an approximate 2" difference in height from the brake pedal to clutch pedal is common for a KR? My brake pedal is about 6" from the floorboard to the pedal and that seems to be within specification. Just not sure of the clutch pedal height. Looked at old magazine and photos on-line and it appears that there is an offset. Any input is appreciated.

Thank you.

Don
gt350bp

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch pedal height
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 04:11:33 PM »
Is your clutch pedal higher or lower than the brake pedal?
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 04:32:20 PM »
The clutch pedal is normally higher then the brake pedal, however, that is with the stock clutch.

It will ride lower (almost even) if you change to a diaphragm clutch.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 05:25:59 PM »
Clutch pedal height is 2" higher than brake pedal. Using a RAM long style clutch with Lakewood bellhousing.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 06:16:01 PM by gt350bp »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 06:34:10 PM »
Yes, somewhere in that difference. Keep in mind also that the original brake master cylinder was a little wonky to begin with and if you reference the height of the pedal there is no set number.

The standard procedure to bleed the thing was that if you could put your foot under the pedal and still stop, you were ok and adjusted correctly.

Mechanics were refering to it as stomping the marshmallow.

A current replacement will give you a higher pedal and travel less to stop the car.
That reduces the contrast between the two but somewhere in the 1-1/2" to 2" difference is about right.

Makesure the bushings the shaft rides on are good. The original plastic ones would wear through and into the support wearing an oval shape into it.

If you haven't already done it, put the roller bearing "bushing" kit in it.

If you are worn there, that will also affect the static height of the pedal.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 09:08:38 PM »
Doug,

68 shop manual indicates 6.20" brake pedal to floor sheet metal with 1.85" pedal travel. I think my brake pedal height is OK, but the clutch pedal seems a tad high. All bushings and clutch parts are new / restored. I'm thinking maybe the Lakewood housing pivot location might be causing the higher pedal height?

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 09:42:23 PM »
Doug,

68 shop manual indicates 6.20" brake pedal to floor sheet metal with 1.85" pedal travel. I think my brake pedal height is OK, but the clutch pedal seems a tad high. All bushings and clutch parts are new / restored. I'm thinking maybe the Lakewood housing pivot location might be causing the higher pedal height?

It's up to you but I think you are trying to fix something that doesn't need fixing?

Why aren't you using the Ford pivot bracket?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 07:24:03 AM »
Doug,

Using Ford z-bar and pivots, (all restored with new bushings and felts) but I believe the Lakewood release arm bracket may be in a slightly different position than a on a Ford bellhousing?

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 03:06:56 PM »
Clutch pedal is typically 2" +/- higher than  brake pedal

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2021, 07:51:46 AM »
Tim, thanks for the reply.

I checked and double checked all components and my pedal does sit 2" higher. I guess the reason for the original question was that I recently put a new clutch pedal stop on my 65, and that made the clutch and brake pedal align. Just thought maybe I had an issue!

Don
gt350bp