News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Racing as it used to be back in the late '50's

Started by NC TRACKRAT, July 25, 2021, 08:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NC TRACKRAT

The above thread about the Reventlow Cobra caused me to remember crewing for a race at the Louisville Fairgrounds where Augie Pabst was driving one of the Scarabs, The Meister Brauser Special. For you folks old enough to remember him, the Chief Starter was Jesse Coleman. I found this on the internet:
https://www.courier-journal.com/picture-gallery/news/history/river-city-retro/2014/08/07/gallery-l-whirlaway-cup-sports-car-races/13714825/
5S071, 6S1467

deathsled

That is quite the starting lineup. Gotta like how the checkered flag guy is out in the middle of the track...
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

NC TRACKRAT

That's Jesse Coleman.  He was Chief Steward for most of the races in the South East for SCCA. Quite a character, known and revered by all who knew him.  Left us way too soon. Jesse lived in Nashville, TN as did I. We chartered the Tennessee Region in Nashville back in '57 or '58.
5S071, 6S1467

honker

Thanks for the link, great images from a bygone era !

98SVT - was 06GT

I raced at Pomona Fairgrounds back in the 50s - OK it was in my 1/4 midget on their little dirt oval but to me as an 8 year old it was big time racing. I did get to drive on most of what had been the SCCA track in the 80s when I was a reserve for the sheriffs department. They still use it for the Emergency Vehicle Operations Course EVOC.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

NC TRACKRAT

Back in those days, dedicated race tracks, other than ovals, were rare.  Louisville Fairgrounds was nothing more than a skillet-shaped drive with haybales in random places.  Crowd control was minimal at best.  In addition to Augie Pabst, another young, up-and-coming racer was there in a Porsche...some guy named Roger Penske.
5S071, 6S1467

shelbydoug

I have a local harness horse racing track here called Yonkers Raceway. I saw pictures of it around 1900 and it was being used for "horseless carnage" races.

Barney Oldfield raced there. He had a "passenger" who would hang off the side of the car to give it more traction in the turns. :o

It was just a dirt track then. 1-1/2 mile track but I've seen pictures of Indy where it was wooden planks.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!