Author Topic: 1967 and 1967 Fastback Quarter panel inner structure differnces?  (Read 2412 times)

cboss70

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I was looking at a 68 fastback project of mine last night and noticed the bump out area in the upper metal structural area below the rear glass which is hidden behind the interior fiberglass vent panels (red primer picture).  I never noticed that before and it looks like an attachment point for something but I have no idea what.  The second rear interior picture is on my 67 fastback (rusty sheet metal) and it doesn't not have that bump-out in the metal. I thought it was odd they would create it as a one year thing.  Have any ideas on why that was added in 1968 and what that was used for? 

roddster

• View Profile
Re: 1967 and 1967 Fastback Quarter panel inner structure differnces?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 09:27:47 PM »
Optional rear seat shoulder belt.

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 10:59:44 PM »
Really? I have never seen that.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 05:12:11 AM »
Doing an internet search and finding an article talking about those belts one person said it is in the options book. Some have seen them and they were available in 1968 on Coupes and Fastbacks. The topic was from 2006 on Mustangforums.com. On vintage Mustang forum one poster said they are shown in the shop manual(one guy had them in his coupe). I never knew. Always learning.  :) Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

cboss70

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 08:02:28 AM »
Wow- thanks for the reply. I've never seen a fastback with rear shoulder belts in it- can't even imagine how that would look! I tried finding a picture but couldn't.  I've had a lot of mustangs over the years and never noticed that bump-out, just when I think I know a decent amount these cars surprise me with something different. 

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 11:22:30 AM »
If you have seen a 67 Shelby then the roll bar bolts to the same nut through the headliner that the optional shoulder harness would.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 01:38:56 PM »
If you have seen a 67 Shelby then the roll bar bolts to the same nut through the headliner that the optional shoulder harness would.
Have you ever seen a 67 with the optional harness? I'd think that would be pretty rare. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 06:04:56 PM »
Have you ever seen a 67 with the optional harness? I'd think that would be pretty rare. Gary
If you are asking me then no. I just look for the clip assemblies behind the headliners to salvage on junk yard cars in yards. Fewer and fewer of those now.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 06:08:57 PM »
First I would suggest the title of the thread be changed to "1967 and 1968 ......."

+++++++++++++++++++++

A few pictures I hope may clarify the findings and question

These are the two areas on fastbacks we seem to be focusing on

Typical 67 fastback interior rear side upper panel . Showing the area asked about in the original post (green arrow) and the front seat seat belt anchor for Mustangs (red arrow)

Close up of both areas we seem to be focusing on. The forward seat belt mount typically would not receive a threaded anchor plate in the hole indicated by the red arrow except when (rarely ordered) the front seat shoulder belt was ordered. Same hole and anchor plate installed for use for the roll bar upper attachment point. In neither of the examples is a plate installed in the pictures.

Typical 68 fastback interior rear side upper panel . Showing the area asked about in the original post (green arrow) and the front seat seat belt anchor for Mustangs (red arrow)

Close up of both areas we seem to be focusing on. Front shoulder seat belt anchor (for Mustangs) was also used for the upper roll bar attachment point as in 67

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 06:10:36 PM »
Same bolt in point for roll bar on 68 Shelby too.

cboss70

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 08:15:59 AM »
Yes, I started the thread asking about the 68 bump-out (not on 67's) that's shown with the green arrow and what its used for. Sounds like some of the earlier notes were addressing the upper point with the red arrows.  Do the previous responses still apply and that rear bump indicated by the green arrow was for some sort of should seat belt mount for the back seat passengers?  Thanks for the extra pictures- mine weren't the greatest.

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2021, 11:16:08 AM »
Detail question : was the mount for the bolt welded on all models or is there a built-in anchor?

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2021, 05:52:20 AM »
Very cool

I’ve taken a lot of 67/68s apart and never noticed a bump out there. Pretty neat

Seen a few clever places where they put a more modern retractor behind that panel though