News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Steel Wheel Lug Nuts

Started by paparazzi, November 06, 2023, 10:02:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paparazzi

Looking to buy lug nuts for my 67 steel wheel factory hub cap GT350? Please PM. Thanks, Bob

greekz

Try Shelby Parts and Restoration, 920-434-3645.  I bought a set from them several years ago.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

shelbymann1970

Can the experts say why these are different from a 69 wheel? Different chamfer?  Are they chrome? https://shelbypartsstore.com/?product=1967-shelby-steel-wheel-lug-nuts
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

paparazzi

Thanks Greekz, I was hoping to beat their price  :)

427heaven

So sometimes you got to pay the piper. They will take good care of you... ;)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on November 06, 2023, 01:28:40 PM
Can the experts say why these are different from a 69 wheel? Different chamfer?  Are they chrome? https://shelbypartsstore.com/?product=1967-shelby-steel-wheel-lug-nuts
Those are for a 67 Shelby standard steel wheel. The steel wheel has a different lugnut hole compared to the tenspoke or magstar wheel or even 69 Shelby wheel. That is why there is no shoulder like on those two 67 deluxe and 69 Shelby wheels.   That unique 67 Shelby steel wheel lugnut has the same profile at the contact surface as the small acorn lugnuts used on most typical Ford wheels. They are long and chrome because they stick out through holes in the hubcaps on the 67 Shelby.  The 67 Magstar lugnut has the same shoulder but is shorter then the other two wheel applications.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Quote from: paparazzi on November 06, 2023, 01:42:55 PM
Thanks Greekz, I was hoping to beat their price  :)
Shelby Parts and Restoration have them made up special. No one else I am aware of ever has. There is not a lot of demand for them so the higher price reflects the anticipated sales and what it is going to take to cover mfg costs and make a reasonable profit on the small amount that will most likely ever be sold.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

paparazzi

Thanks Mr. Gaines. I have no issues with their pricing and feel that it is justified. I sure can't make them for that. I am in no hurry and if I don't come across some they may get my business. I found 6 a couple of months ago and hoped I might get lucky again. So far no one contacting me seems to understand that these are different. They debate that these and tenspoke are the same.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: paparazzi on November 10, 2023, 07:58:46 PM
Thanks Mr. Gaines. I have no issues with their pricing and feel that it is justified. I sure can't make them for that. I am in no hurry and if I don't come across some they may get my business. I found 6 a couple of months ago and hoped I might get lucky again. So far no one contacting me seems to understand that these are different. They debate that these and tenspoke are the same.
That is a common misconception. It wasn't until about 15 years or so ago that owners seemed to care about restoring using the steel wheel and hubcap which is the standard 67 Shelby wheel. Before then no one cared about details surrounding that wheel and hubcap. I was one of several people that convinced Jim C. RIP. to make the effort to have them manufacturer . He is the only one I have ever heard of that went to the trouble. I have only seen a couple NOS sets for sale in decades and I network in a number of Shelby parts circles so don't have unrealistic expectations .The used ones I come across just will not pass.  I hope you find the diamond in the cracker Jack box. FYI a regular Mustang that had the competition suspension option (super rare) besides coming with the same suspension upgrades that all 67 Shelby's get also came with the same 15 steel wheels and hubcaps (minus Shelby center cap emblem of course)  as the standard 67 Shelby . 170 MPH rated tires was also part of that option when on a regular Mustang.

JD

See below, the 3 types of '67 Shelby lug nuts used...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0