Author Topic: 98i BP  (Read 2562 times)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
98i BP
« on: July 26, 2021, 10:50:18 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXd5hMNdRWU

OVC (Original Venice Crew) doing their thing with 36 new R models.  They are actually quite formidable I think.  I would take one of these at $250,000 over a so-called supercar Ferrari or Lamborghini.  At least it won't break down like a supercar and even in the event it did, the fix is relatively simple and drama-free.  I mention this video because at minute 2:53 it looks like an actual G.T. 350 from Hawaii is undergoing the OVC conversion.  Anyone know which car this might be?  Morbid curiosity on my part.  I think they are well made.

As a further addendum, I must ask, who else is doing this with 36 "new" R models?  Nobody other than the OVC guys.  And they are the original guys.  That means something I submit.  They have already sold 12.  I hope they sell out all 36.  They deserve to make some money.  If I get the wherewithal I would consider getting one myself.  But the lure of a continuation Cobra may be slightly more.  It would be a tough call.  That Marietta sure can drive. 

Have a good evening,

Richard E.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 11:09:07 PM by deathsled »
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 98i BP
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 11:20:32 PM »
Looks like a later front battery car.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 10:41:57 PM »
I find it interesting that the OVC puts quarter windows and side scoops on their ultimate 1965 GT350R. Always makes me think of a carryover.

Steve

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 12:08:17 AM »
I find it interesting that the OVC puts quarter windows and side scoops on their ultimate 1965 GT350R. Always makes me think of a carryover.

I think they are trying to capture the 'what we would have done if $$ and time was not a factor'.  If I remember right, Peter Brock designed the front apron based on how he wanted to do it originally.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 09:58:02 AM »

Steve
One of the "R's" had a scoop on the driver's side. I remember seeing it from an old photo of it racing and since I cannot find one on the internet, here is a photo of the replica 1:18 I own. As for the quarter windows maybe it was a safety choice to eliminate a blind spot. I understand that back in the day a few 65 owners converted their louvers (air extractors) over to quarter windows but that is just a rumor I heard and I cannot independently verify that claim.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 10:01:07 AM by deathsled »

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 10:44:39 AM »
CS licensed them to build 36. You can order it anyway you like. IRS or not, windows or not, etc. They sent one to Europe that met the full FIA specs - that one even had an FIA inspector come and sign off that it met specs. K chassis costs more. Some are leaving at over $400,000. Brock also redesigned the rear window without the kink in it. All the cars go to Nevada to be painted since the paint in CA is water based and they want original. As soon as I find my pics I'll post some from a Willow Springs test day. John Morton, Rick Titus, Vince LaViota. Car had all the latest data gathering stuff on it but Pete Brock and John Morton's wife were right there timing it old school. Randy Richardson shot some video that day and I think it's on YouTube. Found it links are below pic.
Ford borrowed the car for their Barrett Jackson display in Vegas a couple months ago. Jim dropped it off at Titus' house in Boulder City and he drove it over the the convention center and then back to the Ford dealer in Henderson where it was on display for awhile. Very streetable - it had a prototype Tremec TKX 5 speed in it then.
You can buy any of the parts to build your own if I remember right this pallet is right at 10 grand. Jim recently bought the tooling they used to make the side windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFOkDzmumhQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rWMnslCUw0

« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 11:03:38 AM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 11:10:25 AM »
I hope all the parts and pieces they are using are American made otherwise that would be annoying.  This country needs to go back to its manufacturing base it had in the 1950s and 1960s.  If our ancestors could see how we became they would kick our a$$ and push us aside to fix things.  Americans were a very take charge and innovative people and though this is still somewhat the case, some of that spirt has been lost.  It's crazy for me to see the devolution.  Anyway, back on these 36 new R models.  I think they look fantastic and are in strike range of more people.  I hope these guys truly make some money along the way.  They deserve it.  At their age to be going out and hunting fastbacks that are suitable and gathering all the parts and even Marietta is still doing the welding on the rear fenders and who knows what else.  At his age!!!  He deserves some added success.  Compared to the plasticized cars of today, these cars are really something otherworldly and drive like they are new.  It's 1965 all over again with the OVC!
Thanks for the info and links 98SVT.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 11:17:52 AM by deathsled »

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 12:07:13 PM »
.....even Marietta is still doing the welding on the rear fenders and who knows what else.  At his age!!!  He deserves some added success. 
The original carb plenum was not a spun item as today's repros are. He has the original guy hand forming and gas welding them for the continuation cars.
Jim doesn't slow down. His clothing business has taken off too https://www.racingdivision.com/
I was there one day before he brought out the yellow tire tread T-shirt and he was going over the original with a fine tooth comb to make sure every detail would be right. We also looked at some of his original team shirts trying to figure out an exact time frame when the phone number on the labels switched from  RI9-6371 to 749-6371. They had dropped the exchange names by 1963 so we guesstimated only the earliest Rayon shirts had those labels and the change came somewhere in the poly/nylon run and all the cotton blend ones got the label without the exchange letters.

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 12:22:55 PM »
I love that level of forensics on car parts and the clothing line. I really want to get the tees and maybe the Cobra shirt but since they are autographed and limited I would hate to wear it and thus, wear it out. A bit of an approach-avoidance conflict for me.
I do have an original Cobra Cobra Cobra tee shirt that needs to be put into a frame.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 03:01:30 PM by deathsled »

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2021, 03:14:09 PM »
I love that level of forensics on car parts and the clothing line. I really want to get the tees and maybe the Cobra shirt but since they are autographed and limited I would hate to wear it and thus, wear it out. A bit of an approach-avoidance conflict for me.
I do have an original Cobra Cobra Cobra tee shirt that needs to be put into a frame.
I don't think they are autographed but they do come with a certificate. The shirts do have a number on them so people can't sell them as originals. I've finally decided to part with my original I've had for almost 50 years. It's an XL and I haven' been able to wear it in years. Jim said I should ask $3,000 when he looked at it.

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 04:33:40 PM »
"These shirts are true to the original design. We inscribe the large CS logo on the front, just as Peter designed. The very light cotton material was custom made in Los Angeles, California and is an excellent mimic of the original.

Each shirt is numbered and comes with a certificate of authenticity. Only 250 will be produced in this authentic configuration and will be personally signed by Jim Marietta."

red66

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2021, 10:40:35 AM »
I have been told by former Shelby employees that the side scoops and rear quarter windows were not available for 1965 production cars.  Several competition models such as 5R100 and 5R103 were later equipped with the brake scoops and other competition cars eventually were retrofitted with quarter windows which offered a weight saving and greatly increased visibility.

S7MS427

• View Profile
    • S-Tech Enterprises, LLC
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2021, 11:34:56 AM »
  Several competition models such as 5R100 and 5R103 were later equipped with the brake scoops and other competition cars eventually were retrofitted with quarter windows which offered a weight saving and greatly increased visibility.

Not sure how the quarter window would save weight.  R-models had sheet metal riveted over the vent opening, much less weight than a plastic window.  But visibility would be increased.
Roy Simkins
http://www.S-TechEnt.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2021, 12:43:01 PM »
I have been told by former Shelby employees that the side scoops and rear quarter windows were not available for 1965 production cars.  Several competition models such as 5R100 and 5R103 were later equipped with the brake scoops and other competition cars eventually were retrofitted with quarter windows which offered a weight saving and greatly increased visibility.
The R model rear brake scoops mounted under the car plumbed to the brake backing plates are more efficient cooling the brakes then 66 style side scoops plumbed to the wheel well blowing on the tires.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby