News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

6S1882 - Mecum Monterey 2021

Started by silverton_ford, July 27, 2021, 02:28:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverton_ford

Link: https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0821-481103/1966-shelby-gt350h-fastback/

ESTIMATE
$200,000 - $250,000
HIGHLIGHTS
SFM6S1882
1 of 999 produced
AACA Senior National First Prize winner
Two-time MCA Grand National Gold award winner
1966 Shelby/Silver award in division 2 in the concours at SAAC-27 held at the California Speedway
Shipped to Larsen Ford, Inc in White Plains, New York for dealer prep prior to delivery to the New York Hertz office
HiPo 289/306 HP V-8 engine
Cruise-O-Matic transmission
Koni shocks
Front disc brakes
Finished in Raven Black with Gold striping
Dash-mounted tachometer
Pushbutton AM radio
Wood-rimmed steering wheel
Tinted glass
Magnum 500 wheels with Hertz centers
Goodyear Blue Streak tires
Carroll Shelby once said that there was no such thing as too much power, just not enough traction. His cars were certainly great at finding the adhesive limits of their tires, and one of the most famous and most exciting was the GT350. Whereas the Cobra was truly a race car in street car clothing, the Shelby GT350 was a street car turned race car; it was more affordable, more useful and, according to some, more fun overall. The Shelby GT350 also put the sports car world on notice that even a simple secretary's car could compete with the best when it was properly prepped.

In order to properly prep it, Shelby took Mustang GTs equipped with HiPo K-Code 289/271 HP V-8 engines and tuned them to 306 HP. The rear seat was removed, chassis tweaks were made, and the new pony car from Ford became a fire-breathing dragon slayer. Shelby wanted more people to experience the thrill of a great performance car and worked with Hertz Rent a Car to create the Rent-A-Racer program. The program saw that Hertz would buy 1,001 GT350s, each painted a unique color combination of black with gold stripes and detailing. These special cars would be called GT350H, the H denoting Hertz, of course. Marketed well, it not only allowed people to experience the car but test drive it for an extended period of time. It was brilliant for Ford, Shelby and Hertz.

This 1966 GT350H was originally shipped to Larsen Ford Inc. of White Plains, New York, for dealer prep prior to delivery to the New York Hertz office. Finished in the signature black and gold coloring, it was an AACA Senior National First Prize winner, a two-time MCA Grand National Gold Award winner and took the 1966 Shelby/Silver Award in Division 2 in the concours at SAAC-27 held at the California Speedway. Fitted with the Cruise-O-Matic transmission, it's also equipped with Koni shocks, front disc brakes, a dash-mounted tachometer, pushbutton AM radio, wood-rimmed steering wheel, tinted glass and Magnum 500 wheels with Hertz centers and Goodyear Blue Streak tires.

silverton_ford

silverton_ford

bosses70

Was the caretaker of this one back in the D.C. area in the early 1970's. Purchased from Coventry Motorcars in Arlington, VA. Noted in the owner's manual  when I had the transmission rebuilt at a MD Aamco in Bethesda. Great memories, was my daily driver. Sold to a gentleman in the Roanoke, VA area.

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

honker

Thanks for posting !

I have this photo in my files, noted as 6S1882, is this the car in this thread ? ? ?

gt350hr

Someone forgot to tell the "author" about the "other colors " the cars were made with. Also this late of a build would probably have had Autolite shocks. Beautiful car though
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

bosses70

I purchased 1882 around 1974, approximately 72k miles and unmolested except the wheels, 1965 wheels. I am fairly certain it still had the autolite shocks, no Konis. It was my daily driver and was very reliable for the times. If the original owner's manual is with the car, it contains a note from me regarding the transmission re-build.

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: bosses70 on February 04, 2022, 05:05:56 PM
I purchased 1882 around 1974, approximately 72k miles and unmolested except the wheels, 1965 wheels. I am fairly certain it still had the autolite shocks, no Konis. It was my daily driver and was very reliable for the times. If the original owner's manual is with the car, it contains a note from me regarding the transmission re-build.
I know what you meant and not a big deal but so as not to confuse others reading 66 GT350 shock use after the Konis were FOMOCO marked adjustable. The Autolite marked versions were 67 on up.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby