Author Topic: Clutch kit recommendation for a spirited driver big block?  (Read 1942 times)

BeaterGT500

• View Profile
Clutch kit recommendation for a spirited driver big block?
« on: July 28, 2021, 01:04:41 AM »
I know, spirited big block is a bit corny.  I need a good street/strip clutch setup for my 67 GT500.  Already installed a roller bearing pedal support, but otherwise using the stock Z-bar and linkage rods, original top loader, bellhousing and shifter.  The engine will be dyno’d next month and expecting numbers knocking on 500 in both HP and torque, so I’m guessing a stock clutch and pressure plate might not be enough?
This is my first FE motor, but I’ve had good luck running Centerforce diaphragm clutches behind my small blocks.
Thoughts?
Current custodian of 1967 GT500 #683, and a real Meyers Manx dune buggy. Also currently broke as a result.

corbins

• View Profile
Re: Clutch kit recommendation for a spirited driver big block?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 08:20:12 AM »
Centerforce has been good for me ... no issues .

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 08:42:56 AM »
I also use the centerforce with normal disc so nothing special on many of my cars, no problems yet.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Cobrask8

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 09:00:52 AM »
I run SPEC Stage 3 in my Cobra, sees more track than street. No issues

Karguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 11:15:18 PM »
McLeod Rst double clutch. Very street friendly, light pedal pressure and good for up to 800 hp. Go ahead drive it spiritedly, I do. I didn’t check to see if they make one for an FE motor application but You can call them and find out. I spoke with one of the reps at McLeod who helped me spec a complete clutch/flywheel for one of my cars and he was extremely helpful. Here’s the link if you’re interested.
https://www.mcleodracing.com/rst-/p31
Let us know what you wind up using please. Have fun!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 11:20:53 PM by Karguy »
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

Peter L.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 12:24:19 PM »
  I've had good luck with the Centerforce. What sold me was the reduced pedal effort. Street and strip it has performed very well.

KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 01:12:23 PM »
Centerforce has been good for me ... no issues .

Hands down  + 1
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 07:30:52 AM »
I like the Dual Friction Centerforce but the clutch pedal is weird with them. It hovers around even with the brake pedal and at a certain rpm, the counterbalanced fingers will push the pedal all the way up momentarily. Probably 5,000 rpm-ish.

It also takes quite a while for it to "break in" and stop slipping when you rev the engine.

It slips weird. It kind of chirps.

For some reason, if you were to disassemble the clutch assembly at that point, you will find that it is leaving hot spots on the clutch cover and etching itself into the flywheel.

Because of this, it does better with a forged steel flywheel then the iron Ford unit but the forged steel flywheel takes longer for the disc to find a way to lock itself to the flywheel. The flywheel side of the disc is HARD.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 07:46:40 PM »
Hands down  + 1

Except for the stupid proprietary "Fork-Finger-Counter-Weights", those get a big........... "THUMBS-DOWN"!        ;)

But, they have proven to be of excellent marketing value!         ::)

Scott.