Author Topic: CSX2234 - Neil Peart Collection at Gooding  (Read 5888 times)

honker

• View Profile
Re: CSX2234 - Neil Peart Collection at Gooding
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2021, 09:22:33 PM »
Ginger Baker for me as well, Cream for their short life span put out some great music !

https://www.facebook.com/gt350lady/videos/ginger-bakers-memories-of-shelby-cobra/404437286889193/

Mike
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 09:28:35 PM by honker »

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2021, 12:01:07 AM »
I could probably fit him in the top thirty rock drummers of all time. Nowhere near the top ten. He just wasn't lucky enough to be with a band that made lots of hit records or lots of money. As a lyricist he was a bit unique among drummers but having to write lyrics for songs that usually didn't chart had to be a bit challenging.

Compare his drumming skills to Michael Shrieve of Santana. Or Ringo Starr. How about Charlie Watt? Maybe Ian Paice? What about Bill Bruford? Butch Trucks? Jai Johanny "Jailoe" Johanson? What about Aynsley Dunbar? Cozy Powell? Nick Mason? (He probably has a better car collection too!) What about Bill Payne? I am leaving out tons of very talented rock drummers. How about Dave Grohl? Maybe Don Henley of the Eagles?

I could easily populate the top thirty drummers of all time without Neal Peart being mentioned because after all his band was never one that sold lots of albums or made lots of hits. Do I like his taste in cars? Yes a lot!

Do I like Rush as a band? Yes but I would not consider them top of anything except maybe Canadian rock bands with ultra high octave vocals.

One of the best rock drummers or THE best rock drummer of all time?

Jon

Rings Star?

HaHaHa, wait, holy shit, HaHaHa hah!

You called yourself out when you equate skill to how much money the band made.

What a farcical commentary.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2021, 12:05:37 AM »
Royce, ask all the people on your list who they think is in top 2-3.

Still can't stop laughing over Lottery winner Ringo Star.

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2021, 10:15:51 AM »
You don't like Ringo but his drumming is part of why the Beatles were such a success. Consider his iconic use of the Tom Toms in "Come Together". Or his work on "They say it's your Birthday". Countless other Beatles songs that maybe wouldn't have been hits had he not done such a great job.

The band is a team. Success of the band is measured in dollars, hit songs, and hit records. There are undoubtedly other drummers who were really good yet they were saddled with not so good counterparts, so they didn't get to be John Bonham. While I think Mr. Bonham is perhaps the most influential drummer of all time that was part of the most successful rock band of all time, I still think Ginger Baker was overall more talented both as a drummer, but also as a band leader, vocalist, and a lyricist.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

rhjanes

• R "Junior" Janes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2021, 10:49:44 AM »
Ringo is a human metronome.  He was a good "personality" fit with the Beatles.  Creative

Phil Collins, excellent drummer, also singer.

Charlie Watts.  Interesting comments from Keith/Mick/Ronnie about who RUNS the Stones.  It's not any of them.  It's Charlie.  They don't go on tour until they convince Charlie.  Ronnie freely says "I'm in the Stones because Charlie said I was".  Charlie picks the backup instruments and singers.  And sits back and smiles while enjoying the show.

Many of the great drummers, don't even tour.  Hal Blaine.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_recordings_of_songs_Hal_Blaine_played_on

Stewart Copeland of Police fame is another interesting drummer/percussionist.  yes live he rushes like crazy.  But check out his list of composer stuff just on IMDB. 

It's sort of like picking/compiling any list.  The Ford guys will never agree with the Chevy people, or the Dodge people, and the Packard people, or the Audi people........
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2021, 11:06:34 AM »
Hal Blaine!

He's why Ringo even had Tom Toms - George Harrison saw Blaine's kit and got some for Ringo.

You guys are talking about many styles of drumming for myriad genres of music.

There are drummers that play on top of the beat, drummers that play just above the beat, and to me, the best of all - drummers that play "in the pocket", just behind the beat.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

SAM83

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2021, 11:10:33 AM »
Whoever is drumming for Drake and Jayz must be mentioned as well as they are selling a lot of records.  Plus they are real easy to work with and reliable as long as there is a power source.  Just plug them in.

Billy Cobham (Mahavishnu Orchestra), Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater), Virgil Donati, Simon Philips (Jeff Beck, Judas Priest, Zappa, The Who, Toto etc..) to add to Neil  Peart, Ansley Dunbar (The real Journey), Bill Bruford

I'm sure Dave Grohl if asked would have worked as Neil Peart's roadie for free.

The best at their instruments are usually not going to be household names. That goes to the pop musicians who are catering to current tastes to create a hit and generate money.

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2021, 11:21:23 AM »
..... if you like progressive rock style drummer, check out Gavin Harrison who's resume includes Porcupine Tree and King Crimson, among many others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6suv3mraIhw

- Phillip

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2021, 12:23:25 PM »
Actually Dave Grohl didn't say anything like that.

He said this:
 "I spent years in my bedroom – literally fucking years – listening to Bonham's drums and trying to emulate his swing or his behind-the-beat swagger or his speed or power," Dave Grohl once wrote in Rolling Stone, "not just memorizing what he did on those albums but getting myself into a place where I would have the same instinctual direction as he had."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/100-greatest-drummers-of-all-time-77933/john-bonham-37887/

Whoever is drumming for Drake and Jayz must be mentioned as well as they are selling a lot of records.  Plus they are real easy to work with and reliable as long as there is a power source.  Just plug them in.

Billy Cobham (Mahavishnu Orchestra), Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater), Virgil Donati, Simon Philips (Jeff Beck, Judas Priest, Zappa, The Who, Toto etc..) to add to Neil  Peart, Ansley Dunbar (The real Journey), Bill Bruford

I'm sure Dave Grohl if asked would have worked as Neil Peart's roadie for free.

The best at their instruments are usually not going to be household names. That goes to the pop musicians who are catering to current tastes to create a hit and generate money.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2021, 12:37:24 PM »
The enduring connection between music and the automobile...

Below is an album from my collection with a fun cover - one of Peart's biggest influences.

- Phillip

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2021, 01:17:47 PM »
74 Barracuda?  I always had a soft spot for Plymouth Barracudas.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

SAM83

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2021, 02:12:22 PM »
Dave Grohl says something about crying after he met Neil Peart. 

Everything I've seen or read about Dave Grohl would indicate he's a good guy.  Probably was trying to emulate John Bonham because it's something that is more achievable.  Not to say JB wasn't a good drummer.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/dave-grohl-neil-peart-tribute-936401/

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2021, 03:05:52 PM »
I'm sure you have all seen this, the eight year old Japanese girl  doing Led Zep  ;) second link much the same but Robert Plant

reacts !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91pz1E8pAOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8iYNZeMMZ0
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 03:09:41 PM by honker »

Hockeylife

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2021, 03:39:46 PM »
The enduring connection between music and the automobile...

Below is an album from my collection with a fun cover - one of Peart's biggest influences.

- Phillip

As a teenager in the 70’s I had to listen to my Dad’s old jazz albums, one of which included Buddy Rich vs Gene Krupa. Pretty epic!

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2021, 08:34:49 PM »
Drummer World rates John Bonham the most influential rock drummer of all time. Link:https://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/John_Bonham.html

Still I think I prefer this guy. Damn fine lyricist too. https://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Ginger_Baker.html Both he and bandmate Jack Bruce were legendary for having violent temper tantrums when under the influence which was pretty much any time they were awake.

Compare the careers of any of the ones I mentioned to Neal Peart. Maybe Bill Bruford is the most impressive, having been a major success with three different bands over the course of a very lengthy career. I like Yes and King Crimson a lot, and he was a big part of both bands over the years. https://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Bill_Bruford.html

So if I was rating people simply on their merits as a drummer I would have to pick Ginger Baker. Probably Michael Shrieve after that, then Bill Bruford. For sure Led Zeppelin's John Bonham is in the top four.

I could probably fit him in the top thirty rock drummers of all time. Nowhere near the top ten. He just wasn't lucky enough to be with a band that made lots of hit records or lots of money. As a lyricist he was a bit unique among drummers but having to write lyrics for songs that usually didn't chart had to be a bit challenging.

Compare his drumming skills to Michael Shrieve of Santana. Or Ringo Starr. How about Charlie Watt? Maybe Ian Paice? What about Bill Bruford? Butch Trucks? Jai Johanny "Jailoe" Johanson? What about Aynsley Dunbar? Cozy Powell? Nick Mason? (He probably has a better car collection too!) What about Bill Payne? I am leaving out tons of very talented rock drummers. How about Dave Grohl? Maybe Don Henley of the Eagles?

I could easily populate the top thirty drummers of all time without Neal Peart being mentioned because after all his band was never one that sold lots of albums or made lots of hits. Do I like his taste in cars? Yes a lot!

Do I like Rush as a band? Yes but I would not consider them top of anything except maybe Canadian rock bands with ultra high octave vocals.

Each entitled to their own opinions.
Royce you forgot "Cesar" Zuiderwijk  - Golden Earring... listen ti his solo in the long version of Radar Love