Author Topic: Shelby Prices Today?  (Read 6861 times)

Steve Z

• View Profile
Shelby Prices Today?
« on: July 30, 2021, 06:51:57 PM »
    I have been sitting back for the right car to come along for about 4 years now. As most of you I have had a few cross in front of me and think , there is a better car or deal out there? These prices have shot up since this Pandemic. When  does everyone think this will stop and things will level off ? Or will they ? Just looking for some opinions from the more experience people on the Forum. Thanks Steve

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
Re: Shelby Prices Today?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 07:35:22 PM »
No time like the present IMHO….doubt if we will see any kind of “serious “price drop soon…Good Luck!

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 07:47:02 PM »
Very difficult to predict prices on these cars. My two cents is that if you buy a car because you love it, and keep it at least 5 or 10 years, then you shouldn't lose money. And you'll have the pleasure of ownership during that time. But my crystal ball is a little hazy today so I can't guarantee that.

Steve

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 08:56:29 PM »
I am a firm believer in this.... When a person looks for "the deal" they miss many opportunities to purchase really great cars.  People that own a Shelby knows what they are worth and they aren't going down in value. 

Good cars will always hold their value. 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 09:11:16 PM »
Also you have to consider how many smiles per mile you have missed... :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 02:47:14 AM »
In 10-20 years we all will say again "If I knewed that this will happen, I had done this or that"    ;D
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 07:23:53 AM »
I realize that you are talking Shelby prices rather then Cobra prices and they are two different animals BUT I go back further then most here do these days.

I remember the $5,000 289's and $8,000 427's.

When CSX 3121 sold for $23,000, everyone went WOW, unbelievable. Now we are talking around a million.

What's a $5,000 R Model sell for now?

The point is, the trend is up, not down.

How high is up? Who knows but don't expect prices to crash anytime soon.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Stillakid54

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 08:01:53 AM »
If I can echo all the opinions expressed. If you try and "time the market" you may never be happy, and will not had the enjoyment of your purchase over all of that time. Unless you are buying it for pure investment reasons, when a car comes along that ticks the boxes for you, and the price is reasonable for the active market, jump on it. In the long run you will be glad you did.
68-2766, since 1990
69-2524, since 1992

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 08:39:22 AM »
 My take:  1) The "pandemic" has caused many to re-assess their priorities and their mortality.  The thinking is "If not now, when", so they buy their "Holy Grail" car at the market. 2) Inflation. Today's Dollar is worth less than yesterday's and is worth more than tomorrow's so buy now or it will take more of those Dollars later on.  3) There were not a lot of our cars made. Desireability and low numbers will always make a good investment. Good examples are less expensive than having to purchase a car that requires restoration unless you do it all or most of it yourself.
5S071, 6S1467

shelbyhertz66

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 11:14:01 AM »
In My view with a limited number of these cars for sale at any one time
and with the prices asked, it pays to be somewhat patient and particular but
having said that you can't predict the market and if you find a good car that is
90% of what you want buy it because you probably won't find 100%

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2021, 12:10:22 PM »
    I have been sitting back for the right car to come along for about 4 years now. As most of you I have had a few cross in front of me and think , there is a better car or deal out there? These prices have shot up since this Pandemic. When  does everyone think this will stop and things will level off ? Or will they ? Just looking for some opinions from the more experience people on the Forum. Thanks Steve

Which model Shelby are you interested in?  I assume you are talking about vintage Shelbys? As more of these vintage cars get restored, their price goes up because of the investment made in the car. If they are truly original cars, their price goes up because they are more scarce. Kind of a catch 22. ;) Whichever car you find, buy the highest quality one you can possible afford. You will certainly be better off in the long run. Oh, and if you want one only because you think it's an investment, forget it. Buy it because you like it.

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 12:14:46 PM »

Steve,

Yours is an interesting question, I have to ask, why are you really asking it? Are you thinking about buying a Shelby strictly from an investment standpoint? Are you thinking about buying a Shelby as something to get behind the wheel to enjoy the experience of driving it? Are you looking for a specific model, body style, and color combination? All of these need to be answered before I can realistically respond to your initial post in this thread. Why, simple, it's a matter of wants and needs, that, and your budget which will dictate my next response.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

chris NOS

• SAAC Member
  • 5S241 actual owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 12:16:58 PM »
In My view with a limited number of these cars for sale at any one time
and with the prices asked, it pays to be somewhat patient and particular but
having said that you can't predict the market and if you find a good car that is
90% of what you want buy it because you probably won't find 100%

that's right , the perfect 100% at the good time ( when you have money) and when prices are not high will not materialized , but you can sometime be lucky , i know 2 GT350 that  65 sold in 2020 for lot less than 300 usd , where there perfect ? no , but owners have them in garage and they won't loose money if the want to sale it ...
i now somebody waiting already 12 years for a  owner to sale a 66 to him , last time he told him , when he die he will be the first that his wife will call for the car ....who knows when and my friend his allready 62 years old !!!!
if you have the money , and find a good honest car buy it , time is flying and we have only one life and we never know when god will call us !!!!

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2021, 12:40:02 PM »
Don't buy into all this CNN crap about how little classic car value will drop to with these wok millenials. How electric cars are going to "take over" (ain't gonna happen).   Buy and keep what you like....and enjoy the ride!

Steve Z

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 01:27:14 PM »
      Bill, In response to the question of what I  am looking for is a 68 GT 500 or KR 500 Convertible. I have seen the prices range from $150 - $ 250. Which is my my price range for the right car. My disappointment comes when a car comes up on an auction and sells for $ 20 - $30 more than it should in my honest opinion. I currently own a 67 GT 500, Superformance,  B 9 and a couple Chevys. ( Don't hold the last few against me) 
       I would just like to clarify , are prices moving up because of the Pandemic or should they be flattening out . Keep in mind I think the B9 's have taken a hit in the past couple years IMHO. I am just looking for the right car with good documentation and needs some work. No trailer Queens this time around . Anyone have one for they would part with? Thanks Steve