Author Topic: Shelby Prices Today?  (Read 6864 times)

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Shelby Prices Today?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2021, 01:46:16 PM »
      Bill, In response to the question of what I  am looking for is a 68 GT 500 or KR 500 Convertible. I have seen the prices range from $150 - $ 250. Which is my my price range for the right car. My disappointment comes when a car comes up on an auction and sells for $ 20 - $30 more than it should in my honest opinion. I currently own a 67 GT 500, Superformance,  B 9 and a couple Chevys. ( Don't hold the last few against me) 
       I would just like to clarify , are prices moving up because of the Pandemic or should they be flattening out . Keep in mind I think the B9 's have taken a hit in the past couple years IMHO. I am just looking for the right car with good documentation and needs some work. No trailer Queens this time around . Anyone have one for they would part with? Thanks Steve

Steve,

Ok, so you have an idea of what you want, and a realistic price range. However, you are viewing auction pricing as "the market", when in fact, it is not. Sure an auction price can affect the market is a small way, but just because two people wanted the same car at a specific auction (did the car actual change hands, strange, but on point question for some auction results), and potentially let their ego(s) get in the way with the help of a little extra libations, does not dictate what the private sector can sell their cars for. Without being on site, without seeing the cars in question up close and in person, it's difficult to say what the car could have, or would have sold for in a private sale. The wants and needs of the two bidders (again, if there were two actual legit bidders) could have been that of rivals, or good friends, just trying to one up themselves, or it could have been that need for a specific car, in a specific color, yes, again, it can be that simple. As far as private sales goes, the wants of the seller vs the needs of the buyer will drive the price that is paid. As an example, recently I made a purchase that was a little higher than I expected to pay, but the car, and the broker/sellers reputation checked off all of my wants and needs on my list. Not yet in hand, but it will be soon, and is teased about in my sig line below. Again, my personal choice was to grab that brass ring while I had the opportunity, my motivation slightly skewed by the loss of several family members, and the near future loss of another.. I'm not getting any younger, so why not enjoy my time on this earth with another Shelby. Personally, I bought it for me, not with what the future of the marketplace might be, but that is my personal choice, with my hard earned money. Your ultimate decision to buy or not is again, yours, as it is your money, and not anyone elses you are playing with. Hope in a round about way you get where I am coming from, and it assists you in where you are going.

Either way, enjoy the hunt, for sometimes that is half the fun.

Bill
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 05:33:24 PM by Bill »
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Hotrod Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2021, 02:02:31 PM »
 I don't know about most people, but I buy my cars strictly for an investment!.............an investment in my Soul! not for monetary purpose. I love the way they make me feel when I drive them. Fun, excitement and nostalgia!

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2021, 09:27:59 PM »
      Bill, In response to the question of what I  am looking for is a 68 GT 500 or KR 500 Convertible. I have seen the prices range from $150 - $ 250. Which is my my price range for the right car. My disappointment comes when a car comes up on an auction and sells for $ 20 - $30 more than it should in my honest opinion. I currently own a 67 GT 500, Superformance,  B 9 and a couple Chevys. ( Don't hold the last few against me) 
       I would just like to clarify , are prices moving up because of the Pandemic or should they be flattening out . Keep in mind I think the B9 's have taken a hit in the past couple years IMHO. I am just looking for the right car with good documentation and needs some work. No trailer Queens this time around . Anyone have one for they would part with? Thanks Steve
This sounds so familiar.  I remember back in 2009 I was looking at a car and I made the same sort of post to his forum.  I made the statement that a particular car I was very interested in was, in my opinion, 10% to 20% higher then it should be.  A well know forum member here (Bill Collins) chimed in and proceeded to voice his "humble" opinion and he even went so far as to make the statement "if your gonna let a car get away from you that you've been after, over your perception that it's 10 to 20% too much, then your an idiot". 

Now I'm not calling you an idiot, like Bill called me that fateful day, but I gotta admit, that little kick in the ass by Bill convinced me to buy that car.  I still have that car 12 years on and I couldn't be happier and I gotta thank Bill for his soft spoken words and gentle nudge in the right direction. ;D

Thanks Bill.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2021, 09:41:28 PM »
This sounds so familiar.  I remember back in 2009 I was looking at a car and I made the same sort of post to his forum.  I made the statement that a particular car I was very interested in was, in my opinion, 10% to 20% higher then it should be.  A well know forum member here (Bill Collins) chimed in and proceeded to voice his "humble" opinion and he even went so far as to make the statement "if your gonna let a car get away from you that you've been after, over your perception that it's 10 to 20% too much, then your an idiot". 

Now I'm not calling you an idiot, like Bill called me that fateful day, but I gotta admit, that little kick in the ass by Bill convinced me to buy that car.  I still have that car 12 years on and I couldn't be happier and I gotta thank Bill for his soft spoken words and gentle nudge in the right direction. ;D

Thanks Bill.

QSS

Well said!
6S373
6S1276

mgreene

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2021, 09:12:30 AM »
Written several years ago, but still kind of relevant:

http://gt350h.com/documents/grail1.html
'66 GT-350H
'69 428SCJ Mach 1
'72 Pantera

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2021, 11:15:53 AM »
Since you are a deal seeker you should concentrate on a 66 Hertz car, they trade often and for a lot less at the moment. They are the same car (as you know) for 20k-70k less then the same gt350, it is one a matter of time before the prices catch up to there non Hertz family members. 
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2021, 11:24:27 AM »
Since you are a deal seeker you should concentrate on a 66 Hertz car, they trade often and for a lot less at the moment. They are the same car (as you know) for 20k-70k less then the same gt350, it is one a matter of time before the prices catch up to there non Hertz family members.

+1
+1
+1
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2021, 11:25:01 AM »
And to add watch the ecomy closely.....
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2021, 08:15:54 PM »
Steve
B9 prices are not down btw. I’ve have seen (in person) several nice examples bring over 300k.
They just have not moved up 30-40 percent like we have seen with some other Ford and Shelby vehicles.
If I were you I would buy the KR you are looking for.
I’m glad I paid top dollar for mine 13-14 years ago after having it inspected by one of our SAAC Concours judges.
I was happy with it then and I’m thrilled now…..
Good luck in your quest.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Steve Z

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2021, 08:45:21 PM »
   Bigfoot , I don't disagree with you one bit. It still remains , it a lot of money ? I have passed on a couple cars that didn" t  have the Documentation. Which  would bring up another topic of how much documentation do you need ? I am not trying to be difficult , just want to find the right car that will hold its value. Too many Cons in the picture that want to make a buck on someone else's dime. I am sorry if I hurt anyone 's feelings on  that last comment. Just saying ? Thanks Steve

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2021, 11:27:13 PM »
Written several years ago, but still kind of relevant:

http://gt350h.com/documents/grail1.html

Great story. I could write a similar one about a search for my 67 GT350 that started in 1976, and finally found one in the mid 90s. Originally when I was looking the price was ~$2,500.00 for a decent car. But, when I bought mine I paid ~$25,000.00. Frustrating to have to pay that much for a nice car and I understand your feelings and concerns - share them as well.  I’m all for making a buck or two on a car, God knows I’ve lost my fair share on cars as well.  My dad used to call them "upside down gold mines". I can assure you I’ve lost more on car deals than I’ve ever made. But I’ve had the memories and experiences to boot. I just feel bad about all the dads that can’t do this hobby with their kids because the market is stratospheric. Hell, even Yugo prices are high now...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 12:30:24 AM by PrettyMuchAShelbyGuy »
Tom - DFW, Texas

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2021, 12:33:45 AM »
I just feel bad about all the dads that can’t do this hobby with their kids because the market is stratospheric.

Not intending to derail the conversation here, but that is a bit of a strange comment.  I have 2 sons and the most important thing is spending time together, it doesn't really matter what kind of car it is.  There are 100's of others out there that can fulfill that requirement.  And if we are being perfectly honest, a well executed clone can come extremely close, if not exactly duplicate the ride/feel of a 60's Shelby, the only thing missing is that tag in the engine bay.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2021, 12:46:44 AM »
I just feel bad about all the dads that can’t do this hobby with their kids because the market is stratospheric.

Not intending to derail the conversation here, but that is a bit of a strange comment.  I have 2 sons and the most important thing is spending time together, it doesn't really matter what kind of car it is.  There are 100's of others out there that can fulfill that requirement.  And if we are being perfectly honest, a well executed clone can come extremely close, if not exactly duplicate the ride/feel of a 60's Shelby, the only thing missing is that tag in the engine bay.

Charles, you are right... In the late 90's I dropped over 60K on a super accurate 66 carry over replica.  It ran & drove very well.  Would like to have that one back.  It may seem a strange comment, but as a dad in the 90's I was able to pull it all off.  I am not sure there are many average Joe dads nowadays who could hack an original 60's Shelby.  Same for the Boss cars, Tigers, Panera's, late 60's Z28's, Original Trans Am's, much less the MOPAR 440 or Hemi cars.  I see a lot of nice older stuff on Bring a Trailer, but having something you can actually buy for 5-15K on would leave a lot to be desired IMO anyways.  Just does not have the same impact...  Maybe a K-car?  It's just gotten expensive for a guy making 40K trying top raise a couple of kids and support a wife.  Am I missing something?
Tom - DFW, Texas

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2021, 01:18:17 AM »
................Same for the Boss cars, Tigers, Panera's, late 60's Z28's, Original Trans Am's, much less the MOPAR 440 or Hemi cars.  I see a lot of nice older stuff on Bring a Trailer, but having something you can actually buy for 5-15K on would leave a lot to be desired IMO anyways.  Just does not have the same impact...  Maybe a K-car?  It's just gotten expensive for a guy making 40K trying top raise a couple of kids and support a wife.  Am I missing something?

"...does not have the same impact.."

Your again possibly focusing on value and impact for others. I would suggest that for a dad-kid project that means little. As long as they are enthused and excited that is all that cares. Most of the time this equals shinny flashy paint job and loud pipes. Unfortunately (in some ways) I pushed my kids toward study and education rather than out in the garage as I was sort of required doing as  kid.  Likely would make a different choice today or at least a better balance.

My youngest has his choice of a number of my cars. He choose a beater somewhat rusty C10 truck. Is it going to be worth anything if he gets it done - likely no. Time and money would be better spent on one of the cars I would give him but his choice and his dream. Just happy when he does work on it. Just lucky he's mechanically minded.

Just some personal experiences I thought I would offer.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2021, 04:54:35 AM »
................Same for the Boss cars, Tigers, Panera's, late 60's Z28's, Original Trans Am's, much less the MOPAR 440 or Hemi cars.  I see a lot of nice older stuff on Bring a Trailer, but having something you can actually buy for 5-15K on would leave a lot to be desired IMO anyways.  Just does not have the same impact...  Maybe a K-car?  It's just gotten expensive for a guy making 40K trying top raise a couple of kids and support a wife.  Am I missing something?

"...does not have the same impact.."

Your again possibly focusing on value and impact for others. I would suggest that for a dad-kid project that means little. As long as they are enthused and excited that is all that cares. Most of the time this equals shinny flashy paint job and loud pipes. Unfortunately (in some ways) I pushed my kids toward study and education rather than out in the garage as I was sort of required doing as  kid.  Likely would make a different choice today or at least a better balance.

My youngest has his choice of a number of my cars. He choose a beater somewhat rusty C10 truck. Is it going to be worth anything if he gets it done - likely no. Time and money would be better spent on one of the cars I would give him but his choice and his dream. Just happy when he does work on it. Just lucky he's mechanically minded.

Just some personal experiences I thought I would offer.

Good thoughts Jeff. I feel the same.
6S373
6S1276