Author Topic: First day on the road  (Read 3785 times)

Stillakid54

• View Profile
First day on the road
« on: August 01, 2021, 01:55:14 AM »
With covid and life the 69 saw the first road day in two summers. Radio did not work, ran hot, and putting the driver rear window down the 52 year old glue finally gave way, but I had the window safely in my hands. It was a great drive!! Looking forward to tomorrow.
68-2766, since 1990
69-2524, since 1992

Jack4159

• View Profile
Re: First day on the road
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 03:23:13 AM »
Sounds a bit like me when I go for a walk these days.🙂

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 07:51:16 AM »
Nice, I'll bet it felt great to be hear the roar from the pipes after all of that time  - Sounds like a "win"  8)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 09:23:10 AM »
West Coast Classic Cougars has a great YouTube video about how to fix 69 glue in glass!

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 10:16:40 AM »
Does 70 glass work? I think it was screwed in at the bottom. Having a 69 Mustang coupe as my first car I well remember the glass and glue issues.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 10:44:46 AM »
Does 70 glass work? I think it was screwed in at the bottom. Having a 69 Mustang coupe as my first car I well remember the glass and glue issues.
Bolt in glass was a common owner upgrade in the past. You have to change out to bolt in glass door  components. Also different shape of glass can be seen at lower end rear when door is open. You can tell bolt in glass or not because you have to change out the glass trim seal between the back of the door glass and quarter window so it will seal properly. Bolt in glass seal is different compared to glue in glass style. People typically fix the glue in glass now a days what with better access to improved adhesives , superior guidance on fix process and the trend towards originality.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 10:46:29 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 01:15:37 PM »
Bolt in glass was a common owner upgrade in the past. You have to change out to bolt in glass door  components. Also different shape of glass can be seen at lower end rear when door is open. You can tell bolt in glass or not because you have to change out the glass trim seal between the back of the door glass and quarter window so it will seal properly. Bolt in glass seal is different compared to glue in glass style. People typically fix the glue in glass now a days what with better access to improved adhesives , superior guidance on fix process and the trend towards originality.
You're totally awesome.  If you weren't already, you would have been a formidable forensics investigator.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Poor Ron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 02:14:16 PM »
The drivers door glass in my 1992 F150 fell down a couple weeks ago.
Repaired it with some Flex Tape, as seen on TV.  Just cut a strip, put it
in the channel on top of bracket, pushed glass in, worked out OK. Just like on TV.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2021, 04:54:15 PM »
You're totally awesome.  If you weren't already, you would have been a formidable forensics investigator.
Thank you for the kind words.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 09:18:14 AM »
The drivers door glass in my 1992 F150 fell down a couple weeks ago.
Repaired it with some Flex Tape, as seen on TV.  Just cut a strip, put it
in the channel on top of bracket, pushed glass in, worked out OK. Just like on TV.

practical, functional, my hat's off to you !
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2021, 11:08:42 AM »
I used  a commercial epoxy from my local glass shop to glue in my original glass over 20 years ago. Still holding up. I'd recommend not going to bolt in glass and get a good epoxy or have a reputable automotive glass shop do your side glass. I'm going to pull my 1969 SCJ Mach1 out into daylight today for the first time in 6 years. Install a passengers seat and readjust the passengers door. Been doing body tweaking on it since I started redoing the engine bay 6 years ago! Most work done in the last year.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Stillakid54

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 04:58:56 PM »
Summer slips by quickly on the Prairie provinces. Since the first post: overheating was not (simple sensor issue), all the glass now re-glued and properly aligned. As to the radio, had simply forgotten to extend the aerial ( not something we have to do in cars for the last 30+ years), so all good.  Beautiful day for a drive.
68-2766, since 1990
69-2524, since 1992