News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Ford to license continuation boss 429, 302 and Mach 1

Started by FL SAAC, April 20, 2018, 12:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Johnston

Let the car show stories begin!  If it is a Shelby or Ford licensed vehicle, the "authentic continuation" (an oxymoron to me) debate will get very heated for many. 

More amazing as that these "licensed" fabrication reproductions cost as much or more than many valued originals.  But then movie cars, like Eleanor Mustangs, are still worshiped by many.

6s1802

shelbydoug

At those prices I don't see where these cars will be a major issue. Not many are going to get built and sold.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Don Johnston

Maybe soon I can get one of them magical Mustang II Cobras so I can show off all the cool stripes.

mark p

^^^ Some good out-of-the-box thinking here... Pintos, Eco-Boost Machs, mix-n-match vins  ::)
Can Ford make enough $$ to offset the ridicule from actual enthusiasts?
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Don Johnston

Will buyers really want their names in some registry that could let others know about their purchase and subsequent ridicule?   

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Wedgeman

I am curious about the statement that these cars will have ..."Shelby Serial Numbers & Recognized in the...Worldwide Shelby Registry".....what exactly does that translate into ?.... :o

shelbydoug

Many of us are still trying to figure that one out.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bill Collins

Quote from: shelbydoug on April 21, 2018, 07:00:21 AM
At those prices I don't see where these cars will be a major issue. Not many are going to get built and sold.

+1. This has been tried various times before and the project usually quickly loses momentum after a initial few deep pocketed buyers are found. I recall a similar effort back around 1990 where a company acquired and rebuilt mid '60's GM intermediates (Chevelle, GTO. etc) with modern drivelines and amenities and sought to remarket them as "new" vehicles.

The cars were aimed at what I would refer to as pseudo enthusiasts who wanted the classic look but had minimal or no ability to build or even maintain such a car on their own. The venture ultimately failed because the intended market had problems getting the cars financed. Lenders were unwilling to risk the required money on what were essentially modified vehicles having an uncertain resale value, coming from an entity with no proven ability to provide post purchase support (i.e. warranties, service).

I expect the same thing will happen here, especially on examples built from aftermarket bodies with no VIN provenance. And unlike 1990, we now have a universe of fast, capable, interesting and well engineered vehicles to choose from among a variety of manufacturers. And as those cars age, many become performance bargains by comparison.
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

Coralsnake

I am curious about the statement that these cars will have ..."Shelby Serial Numbers & Recognized in the...Worldwide Shelby Registry".....what exactly does that translate into ?.... :o

Its been discussed several times. It is designed to sell cars, the registry they speak of is most likely the registry Shelby American is running, not the SAAC registry. The are fifty years behind and filling it with all this garbage.

mark p

"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird