Author Topic: 1969 500 Electrical question  (Read 1827 times)

corbins

• View Profile
1969 500 Electrical question
« on: August 07, 2021, 11:35:52 AM »
Maybe stupid .... no problem , Is there any way or procedure for "bench testing" the console wiring prior to install ?

Thanks !

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 500 Electrical question
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 11:59:54 AM »
Maybe stupid .... no problem , Is there any way or procedure for "bench testing" the console wiring prior to install ?

Thanks !
While I didn't watch this video through it is about continuity. I'm running into a problem right now-no power from my steering wheel horn connectors to my horns in my Mach1(actually none at my wheel blinker switch). Anyways when I had all my wiring out of my Vert over 20 years ago I tested it out to make sure I had continuity from one end to the other. All my wiring came out with no issues when installed back in the car. Hope this gets you going. Gary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6DgIA_ikQQ
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2021, 12:12:10 PM »

Thanks !
I know a previous Shelby owner Chris Kuchem that wired up a way to bench test all of the wiring in his car . Wiring was laid out and mounted to sheets of plywood with switches etc.. It was very well done but so elaborate and took up most of his basement. The time it took to make it he could have literally built his entire car.  All the ways that I can think of would result in much more time then just plugging the harness in with out installing the console insert down permanent . Of course you would have already unwrapped harness to inspect and repair damage ,tested for continuity on each wire and taken the appropriate precautions to disconnect power immediately in the case of a problem.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 04:57:11 PM »
If you are using a reproduction console gauge harness, make sure the terminals that attach to the gauges are triangulated on the ends.  Otherwise, they can contact the gauge cup and short circuit.  The originals are triangulated in the photos.  The reproduction was not as I learned the hard way.

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2021, 08:53:03 AM »
Thanks everyone !!  I will defiantly check those terminal ends ! Guess a continuity check is the best we can do. Hate picking up on someone else's work. Discovered the terminals in the fuse box were rusted to the point of breaking. Spent 4 hours correcting that.... and I hate electrical stuff anyway :)