Author Topic: 69-70 Automatic wooden shift lever handle questions  (Read 2042 times)

SChatman

• View Profile
69-70 Automatic wooden shift lever handle questions
« on: August 03, 2021, 01:48:54 PM »
My 69  GT350 has a wooden shift lever handle that does not have a Cobra emblem attached to the left side of the handle as I have seen in many others. Did some come with the emblem and some didn’t? Also, in looking online it appears there’s an intention carved out of the wood so the emblem fits into it, am I seeing this right? There is no evidence of my shifter ever having an emblem.
Thanks

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 69-70 Automatic wooden shift lever handle questions
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 02:09:30 PM »
My 69  GT350 has a wooden shift lever handle that does not have a Cobra emblem attached to the left side of the handle as I have seen in many others. Did some come with the emblem and some didn’t? Also, in looking online it appears there’s an intention carved out of the wood so the emblem fits into it, am I seeing this right? There is no evidence of my shifter ever having an emblem.
Thanks
yes, an indention for the snake. I know of a gal who has a real nice one if she hasn't sold it yet. My friend has been dragging his feet on looking at it to put on his 68. 
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 04:22:07 PM »
Thanks
There were numerous  Ford automatic wooden shift handles . The one with the Cobra snake inlay-ed in the wood was the one designed and meant for the Shelby. Most likely yours has been replaced. The later service replacements and all the repro's had the wood routed out in a more non exact pattern following the snake outline were as the originals were routed out to followed the snake outline much more closely. Many of the later service and repro handles had one superior design change in that the set screw was on the back side of the handle where it wasn't noticeable. That is cosmetically better however it is a giveaway the the handle is not original. I have the little snake for the handle if you want to route out the wood of your replacement .I also have used wooden snake handles. PM me if I can help.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 04:46:37 PM »
Can't remember where exactly this came from - pilfered from another post here I think.

But just in case it helps -

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 10:18:28 PM »
My '69 GT350 had a plain walnut shifter handle when I bought it (July 1970) and I don't know if it was original or if someone wanted a souvenir or a supply issue or what since it was a Hertz car. It was in service for less than 6 months so I can't be sure about anything during that time frame.

TOB 
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 07:47:35 AM »
Thanks

Like Bob, I too have an original Snake handle available if you need one.

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 08:56:32 PM »
Thanks guys for the info and the suggestions. How much for the handle?

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 09:10:57 PM »
I checked mine out and it has the set screw in the front.

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2021, 10:08:54 AM »
i have seen original knobs without the snake wasnt that a running change.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2021, 10:18:53 AM »
    ACSCO Products made the handles here in CA. There were ( as pictured) several versions including a plain , no emblem , version. They were in Shelby and Autosport accessory catalogs for years.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2021, 12:32:33 PM »
i have seen original knobs without the snake wasnt that a running change.
Respectfully to one of my teachers I don't think so. I don't dismiss the possibility of some being put on by the factory but rather then a running change it would be more likely a supply issue given I have seen many snake handles over the years on late production cars. I have seen the plain handles on cars early and late production which in that instance supports a replacement . The wood on the handle has a bad habit of splitting with use or humidity changes which is a good explanation for need of a replacement.  I don't think it is in dispute that the handle with the snake was designed with Shelby's in mind for later 68 and 69/70 production. It would seem counter intuitive to think that the snake emblem handle would be replaced with a plain handle given the direction of multiple badges all over 69/70 the Shelby's and tendency in that era to over badge to a point of being gaudy many other Ford Performance cars. The snake handle continued to be available as Randy brought up through Shelby and Autosport for years after 69/70 production ceased. The point is that the snake handle was not discontinued which supports a supply problem rather then a running change if Ford installed the plain handle. The anomalous amount that ends up on cars is small enough to support owner replacement or Ford supply issues if installed by Ford . Just some reasons why I am skeptical of a running change explanation. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2021, 02:28:11 PM »
    +1 no reason for the "plain" handle to be used.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2021, 04:25:51 PM »

The plain handle was planned (it was 26 cents cheaper), but not used for production vehicles
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 08:31:14 PM by Coralsnake »