News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Federal Tax Per Mile Driven

Started by SFM6S087, August 04, 2021, 10:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFM6S087

Buried in the Senate's version of the new "Infrastructure" bill is a pilot program to test taxing drivers per mile driven.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/mkt_morningbrief/senate-infrastructure-bill-gives-feds-go-ahead-to-test-taxing-every-mile-americans-drive_3931837.html?utm_source=Morningbrief&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mb-2021-08-04&mktids=b6a2a99a7df96e04457e9cf9b140c334&est=vjq%2Fh1Sq7RfaX%2FF8ipgtp%2F7wmY4jpcQtSV4bNlyImEnbpd88rGSTXXKDOpqB

Of course it will NOT be called a new TAX. That might give people a negative feeling about this new... tax. They will be calling it "a national motor vehicle per-mile user fee." So it's not a new tax, it's a user fee. Now, don't you feel better?

Steve

FL SAAC

Interesting,  I think we call it different here. Almost all the roads have electronic  TOLLS on them
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

mark p

can you spell "revenue enhancement"?  ???

But - the decline of revenue from the federal fuel tax (and the total lack of payment toward "roads" by anyone driving an electric vehicle) is something that will eventually need to be addressed.
Here in NJ we've already "solved" the problem. The State "requires" a certain level of $$$ annual funding for "highways". The fuel tax is "adjusted" to meet the needed revenue. Oh yeah... that does mean that the fuel tax goes up-up-up-up... ::)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Don Johnston

Here in Hawaii, the fuel taxes and car registrations were dedicated for decades towards transportation infrastructure needs.  Then when the local government employee pension funds started to disappear, the transportation funds were directed to the State general funds.  Now with EV toys that do not have to pay any gas taxes and are given special parking and registration discounts, the State is loving the Federal infrastructure bailout to fix everything we roll on.  Bureaucratic political wisdom corrections for fudged accounting methods.

deathsled

This current regime really wants to put the brakes on commerce don't they.   Drive to a restaurant?  Not tonight, dear.  We've already used up too many miles this month, honey  Go to a movie?  Nope, too many miles used.  How about shopping at a mall?  Better not, we've already used up too many miles this month. They just don't get how economics work.  They never have.  It's all about feelings and not rational and intelligent choices.  They are a disgusting lot, they are.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

67 GT350

See when I see stuff like this, it just makes me wonder why old cars are increasing in value.
Things that make you go, "Hmmmmmmmm"
Are these cars really going up in value or are they doing so because of a few good men, Shelby men?
JUST SAYIN'

A road tax on a GAS vehicle is double dipping, I would think they could implement a Road Use Tax on ELECTRIC cars.
RARE  Signature Delete

deathsled

I am getting this eerie sensation that many of my trips in the future will be business related and therefore eligible for that 56 cents per mile deduction...(unless they of course eliminate that as well). 
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

JohnSlack

Of course how will they know how many miles you have driven? GPS transponders in your cars and trucks? How much more will Trucking cost? Will they audit your vehicle transponder by using your cell phone location?
Yes paranoid attitudes are my hobby.
John

J_Speegle

Quote from: JohnSlack on August 04, 2021, 05:52:37 PM
Of course how will they know how many miles you have driven? GPS transponders in your cars and trucks? How much more will Trucking cost? Will they audit your vehicle transponder by using your cell phone location?
John

Also always wondered why they don't just monitor your speed using the in car systems as well as other devices and just send speeding tickets out in the mail like they do tolls. That would generate some revenue  :o
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

FL SAAC

Really hate to burst your bubble but I have a good friend that was a traffic engineer  for F. D. O. T. and I asked him the same question, do they clock or can they clock the speed as you go through  the toll?

His answer was YES, but then it comes down to can we clearly I. D. the driver?

Coming from Miami heading to North Central Florida (Don't recall the junction) . Speed limit is 70 MPH,  in less than 1000 feet (maybe more but it does not seem like it) it goes to 35 MPH.  On any given day you will find a motorized FHP right at and on the drive through toll.

Imagine this 20 cars going 70 MPH all of a sudden the lead cars does a massive stop ( thinking that the speed limit would stay consistent) and the others scatter through the other lanes.  Not fun

Quote from: J_Speegle on August 04, 2021, 06:01:25 PM
Quote from: JohnSlack on August 04, 2021, 05:52:37 PM
John

Also always wondered why they don't just monitor your speed using the in car systems as well as other devices and just send speeding tickets out in the mail like they do tolls. That would generate some revenue  :o

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: J_Speegle on August 04, 2021, 06:01:25 PMAlso always wondered why they don't just monitor your speed using the in car systems as well as other devices and just send speeding tickets out in the mail like they do tolls. That would generate some revenue  :o
The ACLU has for years argued against OBDIII. That would do exactly that. It could monitor your driving style and mail tickets to the RO. If your emissions was out of whack they would send you a letter to get it fixed. If you didn't have it fixed within the given time frame they could shut your car off remotely.
The new infrastructure bill has a clause in it where all new cars/trucks within 3 years have a system in place to disable the car if your blood alcohol is over .08.
Electric cars pose a problem for them in that they do not pay the fuel tax which was designed to maintain the roads. They can't be seen as only adding a tax on electric cars to make up for the 75 cents or so that gas cars pay per gallon so they will add a new fee for all cars to pay to cover road use/repair. Of course they won't lower or drop the current fuel tax since they are already using that to pay for other things. They will also get the electric companies involved and require car chargers to be on a separate meter so they can add a KW charge for vehicles.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

J_Speegle

Quote from: FL SAAC on August 04, 2021, 07:47:16 PM
Really hate to burst your bubble but I have a good friend that was a traffic engineer  for F. D. O. T. and I asked him the same question, do they clock or can they clock the speed as you go through  the toll?

His answer was YES, but then it comes down to can we clearly I. D. the driver?

Coming from Miami heading to North Central Florida (Don't recall the junction) . Speed limit is 70 MPH,  in less than 1000 feet (maybe more but it does not seem like it) it goes to 35 MPH.  On any given day you will find a motorized FHP right at and on the drive through toll.

Imagine this 20 cars going 70 MPH all of a sudden the lead cars does a massive stop ( thinking that the speed limit would stay consistent) and the others scatter through the other lanes.  Not fun

No bubbles here :)  What I was describing would not just be at toll bridges or roads but a good place (for them) to start. No reason to stop anyone. Collect the plate number, take a picture of the driver and mail the check. Very similar to red light cameras though many of those have been disabled around the country still have gotten a few in other states and locations. Remember that they see driving as a privilege not a right
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

TOBKOB

My Model A's are looking better and better... :) No onboard computers for them to monitor... 8)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Don Johnston

Quote from: TOBKOB on August 04, 2021, 09:47:52 PM
My Model A's are looking better and better... :) No onboard computers for them to monitor... 8)

TOB

Soon your classic Shelby/Cobra will be your daily driver again after decades since they do not have any OBD systems or black boxes to monitor.  Keep your classic cars and watch the values skyrocket!

Road sensors and cameras have their limits.  The road sensors will fail quickly due our wonderful quality road maintenance.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: TOBKOB on August 04, 2021, 09:47:52 PM

TOB

Your state will do a few things with old cars. Ban them all together by having a program where they must be updated to current safety/emissions standards, they could jack up the cost of registration to thousands citing the damage your 10 mpg car does or just refuse to license any car older than - insert arbitrary date here.
Remember they are .gov and their goal is to get you to obey.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless