News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

'67 GT350 67200F4A01452 on BaT

Started by JD, August 04, 2021, 02:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 05, 2021, 12:22:15 AM
You would like to think that it is not bid up by inside bidders but who knows. Given the current looks, condition ,ebay history and bid to price that situation is not out of the question. Just sayin.
I like to look at bidders and their history. One reason EBay sucks these days-bidders are hidden. In the case of this car one bidder Piston has 5 wins on BaT this year and put 2 of those back up. Both were high bid/sold for LESS than what he paid. I think he is a real bidder. The high bidder right now's bidding history on many cars including a 68 Shelby appears he is bidding to what he thinks is a good/fair price and stops. No wins  on 5 cars bid this year. So I think this guy, too, is a real bidder. I have seen a bidder who have bid on an abnormal connection to one seller but have only seen that once but of course there are very few cars compared to the overall amount being auctioned off each day that I have researched bidders on (usually musclecars where the bids were real high real fast on reserve cars). Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Greg

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 04, 2021, 03:04:48 PM
#1452 is too late to have a steel innerstructure hood from the factory . The early hood came from a GT500 based on the cuts into the inner structure to clear the GT500 oval air cleaner front and rear. Also white overspray on the hood latch bringing in more questions for the all original paint claim.

My guess would be the car had a fender bender early in its life and the hood replaced.  There has obviously been some painting through the years as well. 

Girl does need some love and old man rust is waiting for the next owner to address :).
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Greg on August 05, 2021, 09:44:14 AM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 04, 2021, 03:04:48 PM
#1452 is too late to have a steel innerstructure hood from the factory . The early hood came from a GT500 based on the cuts into the inner structure to clear the GT500 oval air cleaner front and rear. Also white overspray on the hood latch bringing in more questions for the all original paint claim.

My guess would be the car had a fender bender early in its like and the hood replaced.  There has obviously been some painting through the years as well. 

Girl does need some love and old man rust is waiting for the next owner to address :).
Good guess. ;) A very common past occurrence for these cars. I would also want to check radiator support and aprons for replacement consequently .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Steve Z

I would like to bring up the question , as to when this car is not considered a true Survivor? It is obvious with the overspray that the rockers and door sills have , there has been some  repaint at some time in during its Life. Which would be the reason for the absence of stripes ? But if the car still retains over 70 % of its original paint , can it be called a survivor.
     What if the major dents and the top were repaired and the underneath of the car was cleaned up and the headers were removed and the date code exhaust manifolds were out back on ? ( The comment that the headers were dealer installed , I am not sure can be proven? )  The car does have the Daytona stripes , were they installed by the dealer when sold? How often did that happen back in the day? Thanks Steve

PrettyMuchAShelbyGuy

Agree-  Not a survivor in my opinion... Kind of 'poetic license' to use that term...  I am surprised BaT let them get away with that.  Why no rocker stripes?  They don't just simply peel off...  If you've ever had to remove them, you'd know.   It's a bear!  S, that tells me that roughly ~1/3 of the lower half has been re-sprayed...  That poor 715 CP... At least they have it.  I know one of our members can do a nice job on it.  The SS center piece ugh.. That rocker switch...  Go find another one of those...  may be easier/better to pit it back together with OEM/Factory AC if you are going to drive it at all.  Good starting point, yea, I guess.  for a 151G's... Ouch, you must really want a white car badly... I get it.  Not a lime gold fan.  I settled for red, but really wanted nightmist blue.  But, hey, it's got new Koni's and a new gas tank...  Wish them both all the best...  Seems the seller's getting one helluva deal.  I am guessing the last 2 minutes on this one is going to be zero raises.
Tom - DFW, Texas

J_Speegle

Quote from: Steve Z on August 06, 2021, 12:16:11 PM
    I would like to bring up the question , as to when this car is not considered a true Survivor? It is obvious with the overspray that the rockers and door sills have , there has been some  repaint at some time in during its Life. Which would be the reason for the absence of stripes ? But if the car still retains over 70 % of its original paint , can it be called a survivor.

What if the major dents and the top were repaired and the underneath of the car was cleaned up and the headers were removed and the date code exhaust manifolds were out back on ? ( The comment that the headers were dealer installed , I am not sure can be proven? )  The car does have the Daytona stripes , were they installed by the dealer when sold? How often did that happen back in the day? Thanks Steve

Think your mixing the term "original"  "unrestored" and "survivor"  with one another. Don't believe there is any official accepted standard for any of these terms for the general public. For some organizations and for judging there are but that would be just for their purposes. Think that is where you may be getting the percentage of repaint from and even then a car with a complete repaint may be judged and still receive an award with that title on the award. 

From there it is a "what if" exercise IMHO without a common understanding currently and even then terms can change over time like the term "resto-mod" did.

Bottom line it that almost any car can be called anything its what the person accepts as a standard at the time and situation

As far as stripes they were somewhat popular IMHO and could have been added after the repaint if that is what has been done. Difficult to determine all of the factors from a distance through a few pictures taken by someone else with a different purpose in mind. Think your the first person I can recall calling them "Daytona" stripes
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

67 GT350

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 05, 2021, 12:22:15 AM
You would like to think that it is not bid up by inside bidders but who knows. Given the current looks, condition ,ebay history and bid to price that situation is not out of the question. Just sayin.

Plus one! Games?

I personally would not buy a car on ebay because it is so easy to play a game.

Unless, it has a price with offers taken.

I would like to ad another term to,  "original"  "unrestored" and "survivor" and that new term is....... "Bla Bla Bla Bla"
RARE  Signature Delete

mustang245

Is red oxide primer under the original paint for the fiberglass parts?

J_Speegle

Quote from: mustang245 on August 06, 2021, 04:10:03 PM

Nope
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: mustang245 on August 06, 2021, 04:10:03 PM
No not originally on fiberglass.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Steve Z

I did learn a New Term recently. I was at an auction and aShelby I was looking at had a Sympathetic Restoration? What is That ?

J_Speegle

Quote from: Steve Z on August 06, 2021, 06:35:14 PM
    I did learn a New Term recently. I was at an auction and aShelby I was looking at had a Sympathetic Restoration? What is That ?

"Sympathetic Restoration" You felt bad or sorry for the old car so you restored it?     ::)

Sorry just took the opportunity explore the possibilities

Steve Z

LOL I just can't get over the Auction Terms they are coming up with.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Steve Z on August 06, 2021, 08:08:19 PM
to this day I hate the "tribute" term. I believe I first saw that from a BJ auction. From as long as I can remember especially with Shelbys being cloned so much from the onset the term was clone. But I think some on the auction biz thought it was too negative(?) so Tribute was coined.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbydoug

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on August 07, 2021, 06:01:16 AM
Quote from: Steve Z on August 06, 2021, 08:08:19 PM
to this day I hate the "tribute" term. I believe I first saw that from a BJ auction. From as long as I can remember especially with Shelbys being cloned so much from the onset the term was clone. But I think some on the auction biz thought it was too negative(?) so Tribute was coined.

The '67s strike me as being the most like the GT40's in that they seem to have the most "day 2" changes but unlike the '40's in that everyone needs to "classify" them to their own satisfaction.

I suppose it's a similar thing to a religious following in that somehow everyone sins and you need to pray for absolution to them? Pray for your forgiveness?  8)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!