Author Topic: 1966 GT350H Magnum 500 center cap sticker  (Read 4393 times)

6s1640

• View Profile
1966 GT350H Magnum 500 center cap sticker
« on: August 06, 2021, 06:08:33 PM »
Hi all,

Does anyone still make the red background HERTZ Magnum 500 sticker?  I can only find the yellow background sticker.  In the GT350H  tri-fold brochure, it shows what appears to be the red background sticker.  Is that right?

Thanks

Cory
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 06:10:05 PM by 6s1640 »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 1966 GT350H Magnum 500 center cap sticker
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 07:02:32 PM »
Hi all,

Does anyone still make the red background HERTZ Magnum 500 sticker?  I can only find the yellow background sticker.  In the GT350H  tri-fold brochure, it shows what appears to be the red background sticker.  Is that right?

Thanks

Cory
The red is what is expected. Try Shelby Parts and Restoration.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 07:18:47 PM »
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply.  Some time ago, I did purchase a set of four from SPR, but they appear to no longer have, at least on their website.  I should call Jesse.

Thanks

Cory
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 07:23:49 PM by 6s1640 »

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 07:40:25 PM »
i may have bought Jim's last set when he restored my original magnums. He said hew wasn't going to make anymore
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

64cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 08:06:30 PM »
I think we have a set.  Send Jesse an email.

JohnHouston

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2021, 01:48:15 PM »
I know we went through this on the old forum.  The brochure shows red, the picture of my car in Sports Car Graphic in 1966 clearly shows yellow.  Go figure is all I can say.

John

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 04:25:15 PM »
I know we went through this on the old forum.  The brochure shows red, the picture of my car in Sports Car Graphic in 1966 clearly shows yellow.  Go figure is all I can say.

John
Red is what has been found to be used on the vast majority of original cars. The yellow is more in keeping with the Hertz corporate logo which is most likely how the look worked its way into the aftermarket. Red is now what is expected in the historical circles. Of course if someone wants to personalize their car anything goes.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JohnHouston

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2021, 04:43:50 PM »

John
Red is what has been found to be used on the vast majority of original cars. The yellow is more in keeping with the Hertz corporate logo which is most likely how the look worked its way into the aftermarket. Red is now what is expected in the historical circles. Of course if someone wants to personalize their car anything goes.
Or, if you know what was original, return it to original.  Red was certainly around, but so was yellow, and not in the aftermarket, but on car 598 prior to, at least, April of 66.

John

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2021, 05:07:21 PM »

John
Or, if you know what was original, return it to original.  Red was certainly around, but so was yellow, and not in the aftermarket, but on car 598 prior to, at least, April of 66.

John
If your own car and that is the way you want it then do what you think best. If trying to convince others that you car came a certain way then be prepared for some push back to justify given what is accepted now. Of course if you don't care what others think then it doesn't matter. You are welcome to make a case to support your point of view if you care to try and convince others .Your choice.

JohnHouston

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2021, 10:19:34 AM »
Bob,

I showed you the 1966 magazine picture of the yellow background, and, somehow, that wasn't enough.  Clearly, they did not first appear in the aftermarket.  Beyond that, I don't know what to say.

John

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2021, 10:35:50 AM »
Bob,

I showed you the 1966 magazine picture of the yellow background, and, somehow, that wasn't enough.  Clearly, they did not first appear in the aftermarket.  Beyond that, I don't know what to say.

John
John,the red color in the commercial vintage picture , vintage Polaroid dated examples and inspected survivor examples in the field seem to indicate that red style  was the more prevalent. The yellow color on at least the one car from the vintage photo is not in dispute  however I am not aware of hard supporting evidence for much if any more. The after market picked up on the yellow color first. The aftermarket is notorious for getting reproductions in the Mustang Shelby world wrong. The red color is the expected version on restored cars until other more compelling evidence suggests otherwise. These detail facts are known to evolve.   

JohnHouston

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2021, 10:47:14 AM »
These things certainly do evolve.  I am glad the yellow background "is not in dispute," because when I first mentioned it, it certainly was . . .

John

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2021, 11:41:50 AM »
These things certainly do evolve.  I am glad the yellow background "is not in dispute," because when I first mentioned it, it certainly was . . .

John
John its existence is not in dispute its prevalent usage is.  ;) ;

JohnHouston

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2021, 03:09:43 PM »
Actually, last time the existence WAS disputed, perhaps not generally, but it was disputed.  I was told the aftermarket was quick to produce an inaccurate reproduction, and that was why the yellow background ones existed.  But, one thing we agree on, is that our understanding of things evolves.

John

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2021, 06:48:12 PM »
Here’s a photo of the GT350 cap that was on my car when I bought in 1971, in the trunk under the spare tire I found one of the original Hertz center caps. The decal is a two piece part, it has a gold foil backed base and over that is clear plastic insert with a Red Hertz logo. Not saying all were like this, but this is the only early Hertz Cap that I have ever seen
Car is 6S1431
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎