News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Rear panel G.T. 350 emblem variations

Started by 6s1640, August 07, 2021, 02:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on August 07, 2021, 05:47:56 PM
Quote from: SFM66H on August 07, 2021, 04:40:41 PM
So, you've had both emblem versions shown in my photo, and both of them are considered to be NOS/service parts.

What I'm wondering about then, is which version would be considered to be an "assembly line" emblem? Is it correct to say that the machined version is an "assembly line" emblem?

Consider that when they were building any of these cars, some parts from the original supplier and made exactly like what was being used on either line (Ford or SA) made their way into the supply chain to be sold and used to repair the cars from almost day one. Because of this we find some NOS that are exactly the same as what was installed, because they were, and later NOS where the same company made them in another run, possibly changing due to manufacturing changes or cost or now very close, if made by a different supplier or changed for the reasons mentioned.

Agree with Bob that too many of these may have been replaced with nicer, newer ones during earlier restorations or repairs - possibly even added to cars that didn't originally receive them. Also the details we're discussing are not visible once installed so not enough examples are available to draw a conclusion at this time or likely any time in the future
+1
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

98SVT - was 06GT

Don't forget later slightly larger Bill Norton (Valley Ford Parts) repros.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

6s1640

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on August 07, 2021, 04:04:26 PM
The "casting flaws" in the OP appear to be corrosion not original flaws.

Hi 98SVT,

Yes, I did consider the divots might be from corrosion, but I still believe they are casting flaws, porosity in the casting that collapsed and created the divots.  I have a buddy that is well experienced in metallurgy forensics for accident investigation.  I will have to show him the emblem and get his professional opinion and get back to you.  I will have to buy him lunch.

Also, I am aware of a recent sale of an early emblem advertised as NOS with the same flaws.  This to me suggest casting flaw not corrosion.  I will ask the seller if I can post the images.

Last, I also believe these flaws caused the supplier to redesign the emblem.  I will bet they were scrapping too many emblems and that was costing them money.  To save money, they redesigned the emblem to have better flow into the mold, thus the four additional casting sprues.  It is my experience, that when there is a change, it typically is for reducing cost.

Thanks for your input.

Cory

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 6s1640 on August 08, 2021, 01:32:57 AMAlso, I am aware of a recent sale of an early emblem advertised as NOS with the same flaws.  This to me suggest casting flaw not corrosion. 

.....they redesigned the emblem to have better flow into the mold, thus the four additional casting sprues. 

I'd still wage corrosion lots of moisture and even road salt could easily get behind the emblem.

Those are not casting sprues but locations were pins were to eject the part from the mold. The difference you see in the castings is more just a function of mold making from someone tooling up to make 100-1000 parts vs a mold to produce 5000+ parts on a faster, more commercial scale.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

6s1640

Here is the early NOS emblem with the same flaws.  I'm still going with casting flaws that were eliminated with the later emblem.

Take care

Cory

6S1568

Thanks for the clarification on the casting flaws. A question for you Cory. In the last photo you posted, of the rear side of the emblem, are those the original attaching speed nuts? My emblem had a different type and I suspect they were not the assembly line version. Thanks, Denny

66S285

Did all early 66s come with rear emblem?
66S285

6s1640

Quote from: 6S1568 on August 08, 2021, 08:17:50 PM
Thanks for the clarification on the casting flaws. A question for you Cory. In the last photo you posted, of the rear side of the emblem, are those the original attaching speed nuts? My emblem had a different type and I suspect they were not the assembly line version. Thanks, Denny

Hi Denny,

Yes, it is my understanding this style nuts were used at Shelby American.  They are called Tinnerman nuts - flat.  They can be found in most hardware stores.  The nut in the first images is not period, but a alternate solution to securing the emblem.  This Tinnerman nut was also used to secure the running horse grill emblem.  I believe they are design to just push on.  A small socket works pretty good to push on.

Take care

Cory

6s1640

Quote from: 66S285 on August 08, 2021, 08:46:05 PM
Did all early 66s come with rear emblem?

Hi 66S285,

All 66 GT350's should have received the rear panel emblem, but I expect some got through without the emblem.  Others may confirm.

I have heard Chuck Cantwell talk about these emblems and having issues with the shop guys not getting them in the right spot.  You would think a shop aid tool would have been used to locate.

Take care

Cory

6S1568

Cory, Thanks so..............much for teaching me the term "Tinnerman" or flat nuts. And, yes they are the same type that hold the running horse emblem on the grill. I'll seek out a set to fit my rear emblem. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Denny

gt350hr

6S240 was one of those that did NOT have the emblem "from SAI". I added it during my ownership in the early '70's.

Cory ,
      The mid 400's emblem is from 477 which "lived" near the beach for 7 years in a car port before I bought it. This caused the roughness around the letters. I am the one who painted the letters blue. The nut pictured is one of the originals. The flat "push on" retainers were included with the emblem I got from Ray Wolfe (rip) out of a box of at least 100 "left overs" from SAI.
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

66S285

Mine did not have one either. #285. Good to hear someone else did not. My current one was added during restoration
66S285

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 66S285 on August 09, 2021, 02:10:11 PM
Mine did not have one either. #285. Good to hear someone else did not. My current one was added during restoration
I don't think there is too much push back for adding something that was designed to be and meant to be on the car.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

66S285

Agree. Just interesting some early prototype cars (mine Ford official white no stripe automatic car) didn't seem to get them.
66S285

6s1640

Quote from: gt350hr on August 09, 2021, 10:44:21 AM
    6S240 was one of those that did NOT have the emblem "from SAI". I added it during my ownership in the early '70's.

Cory ,
      The mid 400's emblem is from 477 which "lived" near the beach for 7 years in a car port before I bought it. This caused the roughness around the letters. I am the one who painted the letters blue. The nut pictured is one of the originals. The flat "push on" retainers were included with the emblem I got from Ray Wolfe (rip) out of a box of at least 100 "left overs" from SAI.
     Randy

Hi Randy,

Good seeing you at SAAC 46 and joining us at our table for the Saturday dinner and program.  I always enjoying hearing your stories.

With this new information on the rear panel GT350 emblem from 6S477, I am adjusting the theory a little.  I believe the emblem from 6S477 had casting flaws that were acerbated, made worse by the marine air. Thus it was a combination of corrosion and the casting flaws.  I do not think is was corrosion alone.  This is supported by the NOS emblem with the smaller flaws and no exposure to the elements.

Attached is an image of the rear panel GT350 emblem from 6S407.  It has the similar flaws, but almost looks like the flaws were under the surface and are popping out.  This car came from the lower mid west, relatively dry and no marine air.  I expect there is some corrosion that has made the flaws pop or break through.  I am guessing this emblem is the early version.  It has never been off the car.  The car was being stored outdoors with only 34,562 original miles.

The rear panel GT350 emblem to 6S407 has the Tinnerman nuts and have never been removed.  I have not seen a car with the nut used on the 6S477 emblem.  Not to say they were not common.  I wonder if others can post images of the nut from a non-restored car.

Say hi to your wife.  I also enjoyed her stores as well.

Take care

Cory