News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Rear panel G.T. 350 emblem variations

Started by 6s1640, August 07, 2021, 02:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Speegle

Have found some emblems with threaded pins and different styles of nuts. Haven't seen a confirmed example with nuts being used on the 66. Different nuts and style fo threads lead me to believe that the nuts were likely someones better idea - not the plants

Not sure how many pictures I have of unrestored cars but will see. Have a few hours to go looking up another detail for another thread
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

6S1568

From examples that I've been able to I review, Cory's last photo shows original the assembly line style of Tinnerman nuts that were used to hold the emblem in place. Thanks Cory! 

Bob Gaines

I have seen something like threaded pins before . In my instance what first looked like threaded pins to me on further inspection of the several that I have seen over the years was when a shell nut was used to secure the plate would cut a groove into the pin as it was screwed down mimicking threads . I do not think that the shell nut was a factory installation. It makes the most sense that the easy to install and common tinnerman push nut was the typical installation.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

I removed the plate on 477 for the first time in '74 when I had the car painted. It had the "speed nut " pictured. In all my years the Tinnerman nut has been the most common too. I have only seen one other with a speed nut. Oddly it was a very late car in the 2300's.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Found a few photos of my original and replacement emblem
The differences are a lot
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

deathsled

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on August 22, 2021, 02:31:48 PM
Found a few photos of my original and replacement emblem
The differences are a lot
I'd put the old one back on...
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bob Gaines

Some of the plates were made of a material that dulled like pewter and in some cases very quickly. Consequently the fix was to paint the surface with silver paint the black letters were course the same. The material was later changed and so painting was not needed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

kingchief

You should get MORE horsepower by putting the original back on!  8)

Steve
SFM 6S406

Tired Sheep

Not sure it is fair to call the Scott Drake emblem a "variation"

Not much of what they produce is correct. I am a little surprised his name is not on the outside of the emblem.

J_Speegle

Quote from: Tired Sheep on August 23, 2021, 08:46:33 AM
Not sure it is fair to call the Scott Drake emblem a "variation"

If anything, it should be referred to (with others) as a "reproduction variation or style" If just "variation" is used someone may interpret is as being an original variation or option

Blurs the lines I believe
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

S7MS427

Quote from: J_Speegle on August 23, 2021, 04:30:13 PM
If anything, it should be referred to (with others) as a "reproduction variation or style" If just "variation" is used someone may interpret is as being an original variation or option

Blurs the lines I believe
+1
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

Was showing the difference  between my original and what was able to find as a "replacement" emblem.
On the original I was even able to save the push on clips to reinstall it.