Author Topic: 67 shelby guages pod  (Read 7581 times)

Kyle

• View Profile
Re: 67 shelby guages pod
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2021, 02:24:40 PM »
While I don't have many close up photos, my photo files support Jeff's estimate (when the face plate with screws start appearing).
It appears they start sometime in the 200s VIN range. In the 300s I'm starting to see the screws on the face plates.

Just remember cars were not completed in VIN order, so you have to look at the dates.
It DOES seem that Kyle's car would have the screws as it was completed in late January.
This is only my guess based on my current collection of photos.
It does not cover all '67's and includes some that have been restored.

Hi Rich, thanks for the information.
So my guages are correct for my car ?
I will plug that hole of the oil pressure hose  because it's not original from factory. I don't have screws on  the 2 trim rings of the guages I don't know Why?
Even I don't have that big hole in the midle of the pod why?

These are the dates on the MartiReport.
Here are some photos.
Kyle

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2021, 02:48:28 PM »
While I don't have many close up photos, my photo files support Jeff's estimate (when the face plate with screws start appearing).
It appears they start sometime in the 200s VIN range. In the 300s I'm starting to see the screws on the face plates.

Just remember cars were not completed in VIN order, so you have to look at the dates.
It DOES seem that Kyle's car would have the screws as it was completed in late January.
This is only my guess based on my current collection of photos.
It does not cover all '67's and includes some that have been restored.

Hi Rich, thanks for the information.
I will plug that hole of the oil pressure hose  because it's not original from factory. I don't have screws on  the 2 trim rings of the guages I don't know Why?

These are the dates on the MartiReport.
Here are some photos.
Kyle

My reply is just an educated guess. There is nothing concrete to say for certain either way.
It does appear those who have replied, agree that it likely had the face plate screws.

The dates you show on the Marti report are from when Ford / San Jose built the base unit and shipped to SAI
They are NOT the date when the car was completed at SAI. That is the date to refer to for any Shelby added components.
#00348 is noted as SAI completed 1/25/67, as found in the 2011 registry.

FYI; I'm glad you did NOT share you entire Marti report in this public forum.
Always keep the FORD VIN hidden from public eyes!
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Kyle

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2021, 04:15:39 PM »
Thanks Rich,
Kyle

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2021, 05:01:53 PM »
Since we are on the gauge pod .... any body seen or heard about the amp and oil press gauges swapped around for visibilty to the driver ?

I had an owner tell me it was a Calif thing.... when you move the oil press to the right side, its easier for the driver to see... and who cares about amps......

When I got my '67 in San Diego, the gauges were swapped this way.... bass ackwards.
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2021, 05:13:23 PM »
Since we are on the gauge pod .... any body seen or heard about the amp and oil press gauges swapped around for visibilty to the driver ?

I had an owner tell me it was a Calif thing.... when you move the oil press to the right side, its easier for the driver to see... and who cares about amps......

When I got my '67 in San Diego, the gauges were swapped this way.... bass ackwards.
That is a new one as 67 urban legends go .at least for me. I have not seen or heard of factory memos etc to indicate that it ever was implemented. If it was something that made sense in CA then SA would have implemented it for all 67 Shelby's. It would be one less thing to get confused about from a procedural build stand point. The outboard light change over comes to mind. As it stands it sounds like another urban legend example to justify a non original modification.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2021, 06:00:22 PM »

Correct in the style (screws used for retaining the face plate)

Appears that that is likely another confirmation that you have a reproduction assembly. If someone had one new in the box from whomever is currently or recently has been making them we could then compare yours and theirs but so far its looking like a number of features are not matching originals. And that was the original question for the thread
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 09:03:57 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Kyle

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2021, 01:00:38 AM »

That is a new one as 67 urban legends go .at least for me. I have not seen or heard of factory memos etc to indicate that it ever was implemented. If it was something that made sense in CA then SA would have implemented it for all 67 Shelby's. It would be one less thing to get confused about from a procedural build stand point. The outboard light change over comes to mind. As it stands it sounds like another urban legend example to justify a non original modification.

Thanks Bob

Correct in the style (screws used for retaining the face plate)

Appears that that is likely another confirmation that you have a reproduction assembly. If someone had one new in the box from whomever is currently or recently has been making them we could then compare yours and theirs but so far its looking like a number of features are not matching originals. And that was the original question for the thread

J_Speegle, are you looking for these numbers ?
I am not 100% if my guage pod is reproduction the looks like there was restord.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2021, 04:30:14 AM »
J_Speegle, are you looking for these numbers ?

Nope - not looking for those numbers, saw them earlier, we're sort of waiting to see if someone has an original set of gauges that could be disassembled or are already apart so that we can see if they have the same features (including the numbers on the one post with the extra hole) or not of your posted pictures

I am not 100% if my guage pod is reproduction the looks like there was restord.

Not sure how you determined that they may have been restored but ok your the one holding the parts. Not allot of shops that could restore the gauges I would believe

Looking around the internet there appears to have been at least a couple of reproductions offered over the years making things a bit more difficult without an original to compare with

Just trying to get as much information/evidence collected to help make an unbiased determination

In reply #17 - In the second picture (fourth example)  down from the top shows the center cast bracket on that example with a large hole in the middle - likely to get better access to the mounting (cluster to lower dash) - that appears made after the unit was painted. So without another example don't know if that is a true representation of how an original would have looked in relationship to that feature
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 04:49:01 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Kyle

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2021, 02:57:07 PM »
Thanks for everyone for the information.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2021, 04:37:41 PM »
Was able to find one apart that the seller believes is an original. Below is a side by side of the inner cups and the back side of both gauges so you can compare and see the differences and similarities. Yours is the pictures at the top in all the following pictures

Cups - You can see that the numbers are present in both but no "extra" hole in the one on the bottom right. What should be the oil pressure cups are on the left of the picture and amp gauge to the right side

Back side of oil pressure gauge. Some differences between the two design are apparent

Back side of the amp gauge with the differences. Most noted the two posts for the connections are insulated and "spaced" away from the mounting bracket and the retaining posts

« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 04:39:45 PM by J_Speegle »

Kyle

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2021, 05:30:01 PM »
Thanks Jeff, for all that information and photos.

These photos that you post are very likely the same like mine.

The only problem that is very different are these brackets. I think that these were a modification by a past owner. The chrome rings of the guages has 3 semi curved holes and the brackets are not original.
Kyle.
Look at these photos.

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2022, 05:04:55 PM »

Jeffs picture
See the arrow you will see a small point on the end of the 1\4 20 stud that little point you can feel with your finger . when i was judging cars i would reach under and feel for it on the back of the pods.
Every original 67 I have had had that point.
We never deducted any points for it I just used it as a gauge as to how many cars had it.

Dominic

I'm going to post a reply in a few different posts since there are so many details we need to talk about.
First is the "point". It appears that the long (2.275) "Y" gauge pod support post was made it left a point in the end of the post. See pic of side view.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2022, 05:28:13 PM »
JD's post:
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=15936.msg130156#msg130156

Showed an early car which had a bracket different from mine. The main case of the pod is also different in that there is no hole.
Here is the pic in question:

My bracket is as shown in the attachment 1. It shows a totally different bracket than the pic above. It also shows a hole in the main case. The hole is painted.

The Assy manual shows (with circle for area of interest) a similar bracket to mine and a hole in the main case. My supposition is that the bracket was changed to ease assembly and the hole in the main case certainly helps.

The bracket is interesting in that the part of the bracket facing the underside of the dash is flat black. The area facing the carpet -- the portion you might see if poking around under here -- is textured like the main case.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

peterj9#388

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2022, 07:43:47 PM »
kyle
My car #388 has screws in the face plate. I don't believe it was ever changed. Just my opinion. Car was parked since 1978.
Peter

Kyle

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2022, 08:14:48 AM »
Hi Peter,

Thanks for let me know how is your face plate is from your car.

Your pod has a main hole in the centre of the pod please?

Your car is very close to my car.

Thanks Kyle.