Author Topic: 3259 Carburetor Problems  (Read 5204 times)

texas swede

• View Profile
3259 Carburetor Problems
« on: August 09, 2021, 06:35:55 PM »
My 513 dated 3259 carburetor is acting up. Car doesn't start if I don't pour gas directly into the carb and it just runs until
that fuel is used and then it stops. Tested the pump and it pumps fuel as well as tested if fuel is in the bowls and it is.
It seems like the accelerator lever is stuck as it doesn't move when opening the throttles. just compress the spring.
What can be wrong?  Also, does anybody have the Holley part# for the diaphragm that works with ethanol mixed gas.
Texas Swede

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
Re: 3259 Carburetor Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 06:43:00 PM »
My 513 dated 3259 carburetor is acting up. Car doesn't start if I don't pour gas directly into the carb and it just runs until
that fuel is used and then it stops. Tested the pump and it pumps fuel as well as tested if fuel is in the bowls and it is.
It seems like the accelerator lever is stuck as it doesn't move when opening the throttles. just compress the spring.
What can be wrong?  Also, does anybody have the Holley part# for the diaphragm that works with ethanol mixed gas.
Texas Swede

I can think of all kinds of problems. Diagnosing in little text boxes is a hit or miss game.

I use Holley® 135-10, 30 cc diaphragms but sounds like the carburetor needs to come off and get a complete functional inspection.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 06:45:28 PM by Dan Case »
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 08:12:21 PM »
Agreed
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 08:37:40 PM »
I’ll bet rubber on accelerator pump has dried out and stiff.  Happened to me. 

Jon

mygt350

• Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2021, 08:54:04 PM »
I sent my 3259 to Drew to go through. Was leaking, ran like a dog, bucked and burped and was hard to start. He took it apart and when I got it back, all I had to adjust was the curb idle. Now it runs like a banshee, no bucking or burping and not one leak. Drew knows these carbs and does outstanding work on expensive eye candy, like these.
Martin
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2021, 10:10:34 PM »
Hi Bo,

Have you removed the primary bowl to check the float and needle/seat? Even if the accelerator pump is shot the car should still idle if the bowl is filling properly.

Dave
Dave - 6S1757

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 10:25:43 PM »
I loosened up the passenger side lower fuel bowl screw and gas came out so I believe the
bowl is full. I will take it apart and see what's wrong with both the needle and seat as well as the accelerator
and fix both. The car ran very well last fall but when I started it 2 weeks ago by pouring gas into the carb and took it for a spin
it hesitated (almost stalled) when going from the idle system to the main system by pressing the gas pedal.
Thanks for all your help guys. I'll keep you posted.
Texas Swede

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2021, 12:49:12 AM »
Just checked the Daytona Parts 3259 rebuild kit I have, kit #442, it has an etoh resistant accelerator pump with part number 64-1625A on the bag.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 12:50:55 AM by s2ms »
Dave - 6S1757

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2021, 11:39:17 AM »
Hi again,
Just ordered the acc. pump diaphragm 135-10 from Summit.
Thanks again
Texas Swede

Rukiddin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2021, 12:44:14 PM »
Also take a very close look at the accel pump discharge check valve under nozzle attaching screw. Best to remove carb to prevent parts from falling into engine,but can be done on engine with care. I have numerous Holley equipped cars and after sitting for a few months and dried fuel at that point has caused many of my issues. Just trying to help.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2021, 01:05:41 PM »
Common the check needle get stuck as mentioned above.
Will create the exact symptom.

I have to drop some oil on the needle during assembly or the cleaned parts like to flash rust and get stuck.

Procedure:
-Remove carb
-remove pump nozzle
-try to use a small pointy object like a scribe or small screwdriver to wiggle check needle back and forth.
-try to push fuel through (use care as needle can shoot out)
-spray carb cleaner in nozzle hole, try again to dislodge
-if that doesn’t work, remove bowl and metering block. Use air to dislodge
-if that doesn’t work, pack grease into pump channel and force a pin gauge or back of a drill into hole
-if that doesn’t work, drill check needle, if bit is sharp it should spin out.

The last two options really stink btw.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 03:00:56 PM by Drew Pojedinec »

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2021, 01:29:15 PM »
Thanks,
My friend Rusty suggested the same thing as regards the check needle.
Will look at that as well.
Texas Swede

rhjanes

• R "Junior" Janes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2021, 02:51:59 PM »
Possibly stuck needle in the seat.  I had one do that.  Happens when they sit dry for too long.

Also for folks in Texas.  Buc-ee's sells ethanol free fuel!  I'm close to Denton where there is a new Buc-ee's.  I fill my 6 gallon can and use it in the mowers and the old cars. 
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2021, 10:24:01 PM »
My friend Rusty and I rebuilt my carburetor. The accelerator pump diaphragm had dried up so it was replaced by a
Holley 135-10. There didn't appear any fuel in the secondary bowl due to a stuck needle. Yesterday I siphoned all
the old fuel in the tank and took it to our hazardous material company run by several cities in the Dallas area.

Now I have another problem. can't remove the fuel filter bowl to clean it and replace the filter. Don't want the NOS bowl
destroyed and after my health issues the last few years I am to weak to be able to get it loose by arm strength.
Any suggestions how to remove the bowl?

On Friday I am going to Denton to buy ethanol free fuel. Hope the car will running as it used to after that.
Thanks for your help,
Texas Swede

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2021, 10:32:02 PM »
Bo, get Paul over there to help. Or I can come by in a couple of weeks and get that fuel pump bowl off. Call me if you want some help. And I told you so about that fuel lol! I buy VP in 5 gallon cans at my local Aline Auto Parts store. They get VP Vintage leaded fuel for me. It is 95 octane and is very stable.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT