Author Topic: Ceramic Coating Exhaust Manifolds  (Read 1985 times)

rcgt350

• View Profile
Ceramic Coating Exhaust Manifolds
« on: August 10, 2021, 11:02:10 AM »
I’m looking into a few options for coating my pair of 289 exhaust manifolds, spray can version I’ve read some use VHT cast iron gray, I spoke to a coating company and they would prep them and ceramic coat in cast iron gray colour, cost is more, but maybe it keeps its colour better? Any thoughts on that ?
Randy

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
Re: Ceramic Coating Exhaust Manifolds
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 11:05:25 AM »
I have a set of 428CJ exhaust manifolds that were shipped to Oklahoma City in 2004 for Cera Kote. They look today just like they looked when I got them back.

Make sure that you specify ceramic coating. It's not the same as powder coating.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 11:26:03 AM »

One of the originators of the ceramic process, and I think still the best, Jet-Hot.
Best preparation and thorough coating of the exterior and interior of headers.

https://get.jet-hot.com/?utm_campaign=Branded&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjY2DyuCm8gIVmaXICh2j4AzmEAAYASAAEgKrRvD_BwE

Dwathencars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 04:36:53 PM »
The original exhaust manifolds on CSX2367 have Jet-Hot coating about ten years old and holding up well  I drive the car quite a bit.   
Since I "stray" into Jaguars and Mercedes I've tried a variety of coatings   Cera Kote works well too.   
Dave
CSX 2367.   Jaguar SS100,XK120, Etype, Mercedes 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet, 1961 Maserati Vignale Spyder

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2021, 05:33:34 PM »
Posted a similar response over on CMF to the same question but thought some might benefit over here also

I've been using a ceramic paint applied with a gun then heat treated.  Some others have used it for cast iron transmission cases and tail shaft housings.
Stuff's not cheap but does not tale allot. Plus you don't want much on the manifolds both for looks and durability. Picture of the product I've been using that has been posted before

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 05:37:20 PM »
There are several colors and the colors are all extra cost.

The colors are susceptable to water spotting. The bright shiny chrome like dulls down to eventually look like mill finish stainless but if you are up to it, they can be polished back to where they were new.

I happened to notice on one of my header tubes yesterday that there was a noticible rust brown color present.

That could simply be dust that setteled on the tube and got super heated? That's too soon to know as of yet.

I use Central Connecticut Coatings in Hartford. You can give them rusty headers and they have a solution they get dipped in that neutralizes and cleans them up.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2021, 09:22:02 PM »
Correction: That set was sent to Jet Hot. The more recent set on my other car (2019) is Cera Kote.

I have a set of 428CJ exhaust manifolds that were shipped to Oklahoma City in 2004 for Cera Kote. They look today just like they looked when I got them back.

Make sure that you specify ceramic coating. It's not the same as powder coating.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock