News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Part numbers

Started by blackthunder1970, April 18, 2023, 04:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackthunder1970

Hi
Can someone please help me where the part numbers and location on the shelby fibreglass parts and if there a way to tell Orginal or repo
Thanks
Barry

aj

Are you referring to any particular part(s) ?   The unique shelby part numbers are easy to find on the hood, front fenders and front valance.  The part numbers have S9MS prefix.   

In the photos i post,  the number is found on opposite side of the blue tape.

The numbers on the headlight buckets aren't visible unless part is off the car. 

I don't see a part number on my trunk lid nor on my taillight panel. 

if you post pictures of parts (especially the backside),  folks on this site can identify reproduction parts

shelbymann1970

Quote from: aj on April 22, 2023, 04:27:53 PM
Are you referring to any particular part(s) ?   The unique shelby part numbers are easy to find on the hood, front fenders and front valance.  The part numbers have S9MS prefix.   

In the photos i post,  the number is found on opposite side of the blue tape.

The numbers on the headlight buckets aren't visible unless part is off the car.

I don't see a part number on my trunk lid nor on my taillight panel. 

if you post pictures of parts (especially the backside),  folks on this site can identify reproduction parts
I got a pair  of buckets off of #3052  and I do not see any part numbers on them. Exactly where are the part numbers? Videoing with  blackthunder1970 last night I saw part numbers on a FB deck lid he showed me  but there are none on my vert's deck lid.
On your last pic the part number is on that lip of the front valance but on the back side? Thanks. It's been almost 25 years since my glass was all media blasted for my car and I couldn't remember if those pieces had numbers on them-all my fiberglass is original but one NOS scoop from AO Smith bought off a guy who had a lot of  their fiberglass and many "take off" decklids. That was mid 80s. Should have bought all he had...
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

aj

The number on headlight bucket can be seen in this photo during disassembly.   Now that this area of my car is assembled,  i can reach up and feel the embossed numbers but they aren't visible.

My valance has S9ms number on the backside of where i show the blue tape in my photo.

Where on the truck lid did you find numbers

shelbymann1970

Barry video chatted with me and on a fastback deck lid they were at the "front" of the decklid by the filler area between the DL and rear glass. I saw them in the chat. I'll recheck my buckets as I have original ones and didn't notice that last night. Thanks. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Bob Gaines

I would not get too confident with part numbers. The part numbers are not the ultimate tell but should be used in conjunction with other characteristics. Just because you can't find a part number on a fiberglass part doesn't mean the part is not original. Many times a original fiberglass part number gets sanded off while preparing for restoration. By the same token just because you find a part number on a part doesn't guarantee it being original . For example people have been grafting numbers on the front part of 69/70 repro hoods for many years. There is different texture depending on the fiberglass part because they are not all the same. The color of the injected fiberglass tcan tell a lot too. The part may be a different color depending on the part because the color is not all the same . There is a early later and service aspect to the color you may see. You need to take all of the observations into account if you want to get the most accurate outcome.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 23, 2023, 11:12:14 PM
I would not get too confident with part numbers. The part numbers are not the ultimate tell but should be used in conjunction with other characteristics. Just because you can't find a part number on a fiberglass part doesn't mean the part is not original. Many times a original fiberglass part number gets sanded off while preparing for restoration. By the same token just because you find a part number on a part doesn't guarantee it being original . For example people have been grafting numbers on the front part of 69/70 repro hoods for many years. There is different texture depending on the fiberglass part because they are not all the same. The color of the injected fiberglass tcan tell a lot too. The part may be a different color depending on the part because the color is not all the same . There is a early later and service aspect to the color you may see. You need to take all of the observations into account if you want to get the most accurate outcome.
I think I showed you before my mint green headlight buckets off of #3052? I more used to the other color. I tried finding grabber blue paint on then but haven't yet other than some slight overspray  on the bottom of one which lend to that they were on the car assembled when the fenders were painted.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990